ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone else alter their route to work to minimize potential stoplights where you're the first person stopped by the panhandler?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
I try to be empathetic but it is hard these days when companies are begging people to work but they would rather just stare at you holding a sign.

Not many panhandlers on my way to my office in the lower level of my home. ;)
I get hit up by Tenacious E II to make breakfast before I leave for work. Only have about another year with him under the roof so I don't mind, and that way I know he gets the correct nutrition after lifting/football (6 am to 7:30 am)...

Last edited:
Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Do give them money or you just don't mind the awkward 3 minutes?

Usually where I see them, there are 2 lanes at a left turn and I try to get in the right one which is furthest from them. But if I get stuck right beside them I just don't look at them.

Not sure what the hell happened during Covid, but as workers stayed home, the homeless came out in droves in downtown KC. There is a convenience store about two blocks down from where I used to work and we called it the Murder Mart. I would estimate that during 90% of my visits, I was confronted by at least one person asking for money. They weren’t shy about it either. Glad to be working a little closer to home now.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Usually where I see them, there are 2 lanes at a left turn and I try to get in the right one which is furthest from them. But if I get stuck right beside them I just don't look at them.
Ah yes, the inside right lane turning left maneuver. I could do that turning left onto 7th coming off I-235W, but I think I will start taking the 3rd street exit. CSB.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
Unavoidable for me at the 235 E/3rd st stop light, I just give a little head nod and wait for the light to turn. I will say that I pass so many "Now Hiring" signs that it seems the onus is on them.

Unavoidable for me at the 235/3rd st stop light, I just give a little head nod and wait for the light to turn. I will say that I pass so many "Now Hiring" signs that it seems the onus is on them.
Seems like you could ride the middle lane at that first stoplight.

Do give them money or you just don't mind the awkward 3 minutes?
It doesn't have to be awkward. They're mostly all scammers anyway - people with no pride who'd rather beg for money than work for it. Just ignore them, or shake your head "no", then go back to singing along loudly to "Shoop" on the radio!

I don't mind people who sit on the side of the road holding a sign but the people that come up to you to ask for money annoy me.

For the most part I only encounter people asking for money in parking lots outside stores though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT