ADVERTISEMENT

Does Fran even deserve next year?

If he makes some roster changes and actually brings in a legit Div1 guard, then I would be more supportive of keeping him.

Since Barta is too busy with his own issues and is incompetent, I don't see him having a conversation like he had with Alford, even though Fran has similar performance and is trending down.

The rotation does not matter. Outside of Cook, there isn't anyone who can 1:1. Outside of Bohannon, nobody can make shots. Moss is a bust. Rest of the team looks like deer in the headlights when facing actual athletes---the kind they don't see in practice.

If he trimmed the roster, supplemented a departure with a solid PG, and made some staff changes...then sure, he gets another year just to see if the changes make a difference.

If not, and the same core group of players and coaches are back...I don’t see it going well for Fran.

He needs some self reflection too this offseason, on his rotations and game management.

If he trimmed the roster, supplemented a departure with a solid PG, and made some staff changes...then sure, he gets another year just to see if the changes make a difference.

If not, and the same core group of players and coaches are back...I don’t see it going well for Fran.

He needs some self reflection too this offseason, on his rotations and game management.

This is exactly where I am now. Give him another year to fix some of his mistakes and get the focus right. If he cannot do that, goodbye.

Reactions: blhawk
If he benches kriner, ellingson, And uses nunge and Wagner less and runs a line up that includes both moss and Dailey in it

because he'll suddenly "get it".

Right...

Maybe he won’t. But basketball is the sport where one player can make all the difference. See this team vs last year with Jok for the evidence. Find a guy to play PG and maybe everybody is better. Maybe the team gets 3-4 more points per game and has 2-3 less turnovers. We might be a bubble team.

At this point you have to look at the bigger picture. There are too many personal flaws and systemic flaws with Fran that won't get better over time.

Whether it's his poor judgment in games by not calling timeouts, hockey line changes in personnel, or his volatile temper, or the issues we see with his recruiting and lack of desire and/or competency to coach better defensive basketball, those things won't change.

Sure, Iowa basketball will likely be better next year and they may in fact in a year or two get back to the NIT or NCAA bubble, but big picture in mind, Iowa basketball will not progress under Fran.

I think the first step is getting rid of Barta and bringing in an AD who understands the landscape of college sports and is able/willing to find a coach who understands the importance of recruiting athletes.

Maybe he won’t. But basketball is the sport where one player can make all the difference. See this team vs last year with Jok for the evidence. Find a guy to play PG and maybe everybody is better. Maybe the team gets 3-4 more points per game and has 2-3 less turnovers. We might be a bubble team.

Yes, but if that's the end result and that's the ceiling under Fran, who cares?

Seriously, if that's the case, all the more reason Iowa needs to hit the reset button.

At this point you have to look at the bigger picture. There are too many personal flaws and systemic flaws with Fran that won't get better over time.

Whether it's his poor judgment in games by not calling timeouts, hockey line changes in personnel, or his volatile temper, or the issues we see with his recruiting and lack of desire and/or competency to coach better defensive basketball, those things won't change.

Sure, Iowa basketball will likely be better next year and they may in fact in a year or two get back to the NIT or NCAA bubble, but big picture in mind, Iowa basketball will not progress under Fran.

I think the first step is getting rid of Barta and bringing in an AD who understands the landscape of college sports and is able/willing to find a coach who understands the importance of recruiting athletes.

I’m very much in agreement with most of this too.

Not an easy decision the AD needs to make.

Hate to see what us hsppening this year. I thought we had settled back in to Davis level success consistently. But nope

Just read Tom K's article with Fran after tonight's game. Overall, Fran is not in a panic and gave Rutgers a ton of credit for how they played.

This is exactly where I am now. Give him another year to fix some of his mistakes and get the focus right. If he cannot do that, goodbye.

Not arguing with you here, but what is Fran going to fix? The team is bad in all aspects: offense, defense, rebounding, turnovers. This is a talent problem, not a X and O in practice problem. Fran took flyers on too many guys because he is delusional about his ability to win with under the radar guys. Think for a second about how absurd it is that Iowa, the least athletic team in the P5, grabs the ball out of the net and rushes to inbound it to push it up the floor. Does this roster look it is capable of playing fast? We have one guy capable of playing in transition and that is Cook.

Reactions: Mcbooger
Trust me, Fran has no answers, thus the random lineups. Tonight Fran surrendered. Gave up on everything and went to hack a player and they couldn't even execute that. Full court press and traps gambling on turnovers and getting posterized on multiple dunks against Rutgers. Sad thing, is this isn't close to the bottom. Once Nebraska completes the PSU, Rutgers, Nebraska sweep, reality will set in for some how bad this team is.

Trust me, Fran has no answers, thus the random lineups. Tonight Fran surrendered. Gave up on everything and went to hack a player and they couldn't even execute that. Full court press and traps gambling on turnovers and getting posterized on multiple dunks against Rutgers. Sad thing, is this isn't close to the bottom. Once Nebraska completes the PSU, Rutgers, Nebraska sweep, reality will set in for some how bad this team is.

How could it not have set in yet?

Weve played 2 or 3 decent teams so far this year.

Reactions: Mcbooger
Latest press conference:

"Who here knoweth in which showdowy cavern the mythical PG sleepeth? And with which magical implement we may ensnare one?

Do send news with haste, as our hopes have grown dim in the battle against the sinister hordes.

Without this aid, I fear our people shall be crushed by the dark hearts of our enemies."

Fran absolutely deserves another year if things don't improve next year then maybe. It's so funny how quickly fan bases turn on their coaches and players. I mean last year everyone loved Bohannon saying he had the guts to take big shots. Now you see all these pot shots saying he's not a D1 Guard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT