ADVERTISEMENT

Does Fran even deserve next year?

Fire barta first
Never happen.

The problem is....the powers-that-be at the University of Iowa do not care about athletics. Until that mindset changes (and I don't see that happening for quite awhile...if ever), athletics will just be something that is tolerated as a necessary evil, and for the money it brings in (which will happen whether Iowa football/basketball teams are good or bad).

Barta leaves....the U. will just hire another "fundraiser" to replace him.

Not arguing with you here, but what is Fran going to fix? The team is bad in all aspects: offense, defense, rebounding, turnovers. This is a talent problem, not a X and O in practice problem. Fran took flyers on too many guys because he is delusional about his ability to win with under the radar guys. Think for a second about how absurd it is that Iowa, the least athletic team in the P5, grabs the ball out of the net and rushes to inbound it to push it up the floor. Does this roster look it is capable of playing fast? We have one guy capable of playing in transition and that is Cook.

I don't remember if it was this thread or a different one, but I mentioned how just ONE player can make a difference in basketball. I truly believe that even with defensive issues, if the Hawks had an above average PG that could drive and kick, this team would be 5+ wins better over the course of a full season.

Never happen.

The problem is....the powers-that-be at the University of Iowa do not care about athletics. Until that mindset changes (and I don't see that happening for quite awhile...if ever), athletics will just be something that is tolerated as a necessary evil, and for the money it brings in (which will happen whether Iowa football/basketball teams are good or bad).

Where will the money come from? I know that season ticket holders generate some money, but if they don't draw, then what happens? Not too familiar with the U's athletic site, but they do charge for what they call premium content.

Never happen.

In the eyes of Educators, Football and basketball exist to fund Women sports. The fact that Iowa gets the same check from BTN whether they are good or stink means winning in these two sports is not critical.

Reactions: onionman1
No. In the past I've always been in the court of "give it another year." Now, after 8 seasons and watching this horrid defense, head-scratching rotations, and too many players who don't appear to be Big 10 caliber ... I say a big 'NO' re: if Fran should get another season. The sh&tty part is ... He'll get at least two more ...

I don't remember if it was this thread or a different one, but I mentioned how just ONE player can make a difference in basketball. I truly believe that even with defensive issues, if the Hawks had an above average PG that could drive and kick, this team would be 5+ wins better over the course of a full season.

If you put Sanders or the freshman guard Gino something on Iowa's roster, the team would be much more respectable. Bohannon would benefit immensely from someone else handling the ball and kicking to him. He is a tremendous shooter, not a good creator, thus the problem with Fran going with no PG again. If Fran wants to play positionless basketball, he needs to upgrade recruiting about 10x.

Reactions: K OKeefe
The big problem Iowa has now is that there is not enough time to get rid of Gary Barta, hire a new AD, fire Fran and hire a new BB coach in time for next season.

I don't want FM coaching another game, much less next season, but it would be worth it to me in the long run if keeping FM for one more year guaranteed that there would be a new AD in place to hire his replacement in '19.

Of course, we all know that chances of GB being gone in less than a year is pretty much nil, which is a major problem with Iowa athletics.

If you put Sanders or the freshman guard Gino something on Iowa's roster, the team would be much more respectable. Bohannon would benefit immensely from someone else handling the ball and kicking to him. He is a tremendous shooter, not a good creator, thus the problem with Fran going with no PG again. If Fran wants to play positionless basketball, he needs to upgrade recruiting about 10x.
Geo wasn't ranked nationally, and Carton is ranked 51st for PG's. It feels like Fran is trying to upgrade recruiting.

I lean towards no just based off of how bad we are playing and lack of hustle.

If you give him another year, he has to bring in a PG bad.

Fran could not upgrade recruiting after 2 NCAA appearances in what 3 or 4 years with I believe an NIT in 1 or both of the non-NCAA bid years. How is he going to do it pitching a last or second to last place team with a glaring talent deficiency relative to likely every other team interested in the same kids? He could not get a PG in here despite having 4 years of Gesell and Clemmons to succession plan. At some point you have to call this what it is and that is an unmitigated recruiting fail by a stubborn coach who thinks he can with guys nobody else wants.

What program, even at a mid-major level, would want Fran? He would not fall as far as Lickliter, but he would not get a phone call from any P5 team. He would end up back in one of his former conferences best case scenario. Next to Miles, Fran has less appeal than any other coach in the conference--Underwood still new. So for those who think we can't do better, I disagree

Reactions: Mcbooger

This is true and why it kills me that Fran rarely plays JB and Dailey together and let Daily be the point guard. Running a three guard offense is what needs to happen. I'd even have Baer and Cook as the forwards with no center. That give us four outside shooters and 1 post up player. Our defense sucks so we need to out shoot the other team.

Been a big Fran supporter but if the season continues to be like this the answer is no. There's no excuse for this in my opinion. He just can't coach defense and hasn't recruited players to fit his system.

AD needs to 'direct' him to hire a defense-minded assistant.

Or, set a timer on the desk and inform him time is runnin' short....

The biggest problem is the rotation. We should only be playing 8, not 11.

giphy.gif

Where will the money come from? I know that season ticket holders generate some money, but if they don't draw, then what happens? Not too familiar with the U's athletic site, but they do charge for what they call premium content.
Big 10 TV money. As another posted mentioned above....Iowa receives those $$ whether their teams are good or bad.

There just seems to be an anti-sports mindset at the University. They don't seem to understand (or care), that when the athletic teams do well, it helps the University as a whole.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
There just seems to be an anti-sports mindset at the University. They don't seem to understand (or care), that when the athletic teams do well, it helps the University as a whole.

It's simply a fact that when the FB team wins an extra game or two, the Law School's ranking goes up 5 places; when the BB team makes the NCAA tourney, the Business School's rank gets a 10 point bump.

I don't remember, though - is the Art school tied to the Women's Crew or Women's Lacrosse record?

;)

Fran absolutely deserves another year if things don't improve next year then maybe. It's so funny how quickly fan bases turn on their coaches and players. I mean last year everyone loved Bohannon saying he had the guts to take big shots. Now you see all these pot shots saying he's not a D1 Guard.
Bohannon does have the guts to take big shots. Love that about the kid. He's one hell of a shooter, I don't think anyone can deny that. His problem is he's not a point guard, and the rest of his teammates aren't any good. That's problematic for him especially, since being short, slow and white aren't doing him any favors in DI Basketball.

Reactions: Joes Place
Bohannon does have the guts to take big shots. Love that about the kid. He's one hell of a shooter, I don't think anyone can deny that. His problem is he's not a point guard, and the rest of his teammates aren't any good. That's problematic for him especially, since being short, slow and white aren't doing him any favors in DI Basketball.

Yes. He should be a shooting guard. He's performed decently at point, but it's not his natural position with his outside shooting ability and his limited dribble-drive skills.

Big 10 TV money. As another posted mentioned above....Iowa receives those $$ whether their teams are good or bad.

There just seems to be an anti-sports mindset at the University. They don't seem to understand (or care), that when the athletic teams do well, it helps the University and State as a whole.

FIFY

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT