ADVERTISEMENT

Does KF send BF elsewhere to cut his teeth as HC?

hawkandroll

HR MVP
Sep 7, 2011
I wanted to use as many abbreviation as I could, but the question stands. IF the long-term plan is to hand the reins to Brian, do you guys think Kirk wants him to go somewhere else to get the full experience of head coaching? At this point in Kirk's tenure (or contract), is there time for that scenario?

Reactions: hawkbleeder
Is a head coaching job for BF necessary for Iowa to treat him as a serious candidate?

Brian Ferentz is a grown ass middle aged man with a wife and two kids. I'm sure he respect's his father immensely but, at this point in his life, I doubt he will be ordered to another location by anyone. If he takes another job it will be his call alone.

I wanted to use as many abbreviation as I could, but the question stands. IF the long-term plan is to hand the reins to Brian, do you guys think Kirk wants him to go somewhere else to get the full experience of head coaching? At this point in Kirk's tenure (or contract), is there time for that scenario?

The long-term plan is for Iowa to win as many games as possible over the next 3-5 years. That more than anything else would make Brian a good head coaching candidate for Iowa.

Pat Fitzgerald was 31 when he got the Northwestern job so it certainly isn't unheard of for someone that young to get the head coaching job and have success. I'm pretty sure there's another very young HC somewhere doing pretty well as well (can't remember where)

I agree that it's a good question. I think the unique circumstances here dictate that he does not need to go elsewhere for HC experience. Also, would add that (down the road) he would be surrounded by familiar faces to ease bith the transition and the job beyond that. In other words, Phil Parker doesn't go anywhere etc.. Btw, I am so blown away by good BF handles himself in interviews that I have to (joyously) laugh.

In MY opinion, it would be good for him to be head coach somewhere before he became a head coach at a power 5 level program
I do not know what his future holds for him. The NFL might be a landing spot or HC at Iowa.

I dont think BF would need any head coaching experience to get a look. However, is he really the best for the program to take over?

Are there any other coaches with an Iowa connection that might be better?

I dont think BF would need any head coaching experience to get a look. However, is he really the best for the program to take over?

Are there any other coaches with an Iowa connection that might be better?
Why an Iowa connection?

I wonder if any other coach from the outside, would even be interested. Given the way
The whole process, over the last few years has been set in motion.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
The next 3 seasons....this and two more....is his HC job interview.
Not a bad thing because Brian will not leave offensive gas in the tank.

This is how i see it...and its good for us fans. If BF and KF know this is in fact the HC job interview period, KF will not get in his way by trying to overlay his coaching style on BF. Especially as his contract nears its fulfillment...

Reactions: Packer54
Brian Ferentz is a grown ass middle aged man with a wife and two kids. I'm sure he respect's his father immensely but, at this point in his life, I doubt he will be ordered to another location by anyone. If he takes another job it will be his call alone.

Don't think op said kf was gonna order him to go anywhere, read much?

Reactions: hawkandroll
I'm guessing KOK is playing a huge role in the play calling
I don't think he makes calls, I could see him saying certain plays should be run but BF calls them. BF has more experience with big, talented tight ends than KOK. I think KOK's biggest strength lies in coaching the QB's. He's making Stanley really good, really fast. Sandusky St. is going to be in for a surprise Saturday. This O will score, repeatedly, all season.

First off I love what BF has done during his coaching career! Like others have said, he's great in interviews and seems to be a no nonsense recruiter. I just thought of a few other questions/possibilities;
How do we know PP doesn't want the job and are we sure he'd stay on at DC?
Again, who's to to say TP doesn't want the job? He'll be a good HC someday!
IF it is an open interview, what if BF isn't the best candidate, does KF try to use his influence and secure his son the job?
This is a big stretch, but any possibility KF stays on as the O-line coach?
Good topic, and I think it's Brian's job to lose. Let's hope he improves the offense greatly and continues to keep up the good recruiting!

I don't think he makes calls, I could see him saying certain plays should be run but BF calls them. BF has more experience with big, talented tight ends than KOK. I think KOK's biggest strength lies in coaching the QB's. He's making Stanley really good, really fast. Sandusky St. is going to be in for a surprise Saturday. This O will score, repeatedly, all season.
KOK has coach football for over 40 years and BF is 34 years old

I love what BF has done in the 3 games as OC. But let's pump the brakes a little bit. It's been 3 games.

I wonder if any other coach from the outside, would even be interested. Given the way
The whole process, over the last few years has been set in motion.

Is this serious? The Iowa job isn't Michigan, but to answer your question yes many coaches would be interested in the Iowa job were it to be open. If it gets to the point where Brian F is a serious candidate, it would mean Iowa would have had success in his time as o-coordinator. That would be a good thing.

I sense the sarcasm....

BF has less experience than who Iowa St hired. At the time BF had no head coaching experience, nor had he been a coordinator either. Plus Campbell already had most of his assistant coaches coming with him.

BF would have been learning on the job with a staff he had not worked with before. It would have been a no win situation for him.

Iowa state was stupid for not offering BF the head job.

If everything is going well in 3-5 years when KF retires why not move the OC to HC and keep the staff intact? Seems to make more sense than starting all over with a new staff.

First off I love what BF has done during his coaching career! Like others have said, he's great in interviews and seems to be a no nonsense recruiter. I just thought of a few other questions/possibilities;
How do we know PP doesn't want the job and are we sure he'd stay on at DC?
Again, who's to to say TP doesn't want the job? He'll be a good HC someday!
IF it is an open interview, what if BF isn't the best candidate, does KF try to use his influence and secure his son the job?
This is a big stretch, but any possibility KF stays on as the O-line coach?
Good topic, and I think it's Brian's job to lose. Let's hope he improves the offense greatly and continues to keep up the good recruiting!

IMHO PP does not want to be a HC.

There was chatter a few years ago that went no where. He is happy.

There is a job title called Asst HC that you see in the NFL. This could be the Ferentz transition plan.

Wins and offensive success will dictate BF's future.

I hope it works!!!!:D

Perfect resume, has proven himself in each job he's held in any stop. The thing I like about BF is he bleeds black and gold like the rest of us, and he's an aggressive play caller.
He's also been discussing, watching, hell practically eating, drinking, and breathing football his whole life. With people who have earned their livelihoods in football.

He's 34.

ADVERTISEMENT