ADVERTISEMENT

Does Padilla Get Left Out in the Cold?

IowasLaw

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2019
Honest question here. With over 2,000 kids already in the transfer portal and many more to come after the bowl games, one has to wonder if a D1 caliber school will be willing to use a scholarship on a 5th year guy like Padilla. Over his career at Iowa, Padilla completed just 49% of his passes for 800 yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs. Probably more damning than the stats or the eye test is the stigma around being the backup to the worst starting QB in Power 5 football for the past two years and not being able to beat him out.

So will a struggling team with a hole at the QB position pick up Padilla to come in and start for a year? Or will Padilla be left out in the cold and have to end up walking on somewhere (i.e. like Deuce Hogan) or moving down a level to a school like UNI?

I know there was a rumor going around mid-season that Padilla was looking to go to a struggling program closer to his home in Colorado like Colorado State. It seemed to make sense, as they struggled mightily this year. However, I just looked them up and they had a redshirt freshmen come in at QB halfway through the season and complete 72% of his passes for 1,900 yards, 10 TDs, and 6 INTs. They also had other freshmen QBs who took snaps this year (imagine that, giving the backups a chance when the starter struggles). Colorado would certainly be out of the question as well, now that they're bringing in top flight recruits under their new coach.

My guess he ends up somewhere like Northern Colorado or Montana State.

There are quite a few FCS schools with good medical programs. My guess is he’ll end up competing for a starting job at that level or even D2 if he’s unwilling to be an FBS backup.

Kid had offers out of HS from Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Penn and Yale. Cross check those against a school with a medical school and you can start your list there.

Knowing people who have attended med school, I don't see how you'd have time for studying and playing a sport, other than maybe a club sport.

Anymore, a lot of students do a two year masters program in bio-med or another field before heading on to med school. I think he gets a two year masters paid for, and then goes on to med school from there.

There are a lot of schools that offer those two year programs, so he has a lot of options. I can't imagine he'll want to drop down to the FCS, so I think a G5 school will be the best fit for him. If he does go FCS, it'll probably be one of the Ivies because that dude is super smart.

Guys - medical programs are irrelevant to Padilla's decision. You can't enroll in medical school while playing college football. lol First year med school is an 80 hr per week commitment. They don't have tutors and study halls that cater to athletes and provide extra flexible schedules like non-professional programs do.

Padilla may one day go to med school, but it won't be while he's a college football player. I believe Jake Rudock just enrolled in med school this fall. When he grad transferred, he took masters level science classes in kinesiology.

You'd think at some point coaches would start sharing the poopy portal metrics with some of these dingdong kids that think the portal is going to save them. So many athletes get left behind ... like a wet fart on a bike ride.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Attending medical school and playing FBS or FCS level football are not compatible.

Padilla is probably best suited to a low level FBS program or better yet an FCS school given his skill level.

IF he does sign somewhere I'd expect it to be at a lower level and that his academic program would be grad level work and not starting professional school (med, dental, law).

Reactions: hawkdave007
Honest question here. With over 2,000 kids already in the transfer portal and many more to come after the bowl games, one has to wonder if a D1 caliber school will be willing to use a scholarship on a 5th year guy like Padilla. Over his career at Iowa, Padilla completed just 49% of his passes for 800 yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs. Probably more damning than the stats or the eye test is the stigma around being the backup to the worst starting QB in Power 5 football for the past two years and not being able to beat him out.

So will a struggling team with a hole at the QB position pick up Padilla to come in and start for a year? Or will Padilla be left out in the cold and have to end up walking on somewhere (i.e. like Deuce Hogan) or moving down a level to a school like UNI?

I know there was a rumor going around mid-season that Padilla was looking to go to a struggling program closer to his home in Colorado like Colorado State. It seemed to make sense, as they struggled mightily this year. However, I just looked them up and they had a redshirt freshmen come in at QB halfway through the season and complete 72% of his passes for 1,900 yards, 10 TDs, and 6 INTs. They also had other freshmen QBs who took snaps this year (imagine that, giving the backups a chance when the starter struggles). Colorado would certainly be out of the question as well, now that they're bringing in top flight recruits under their new coach.

I don't blame him for leaving. Having to sit behind Petras had to be embarrassing. He was not going to start here when Cade got on board. Wish him the best,he had every right to throw shade at BF,but didn't. I don't see how a Div I program takes him. Best bet is a UNI.

Guys - medical programs are irrelevant to Padilla's decision. You can't enroll in medical school while playing college football. lol First year med school is an 80 hr per week commitment. They don't have tutors and study halls that cater to athletes and provide extra flexible schedules like non-professional programs do.

Padilla may one day go to med school, but it won't be while he's a college football player. I believe Jake Rudock just enrolled in med school this fall. When he grad transferred, he took masters level science classes in kinesiology.
He can enroll and take three to six hours of med school classes if he wishes. Will lighten his didactic if he does decide to pursue med school. He could also take classes for a dual degree MD/MPH, MBA, JD. Plenty of options outside of actually enrolling in med school.

Attending medical school and playing FBS or FCS level football are not compatible.

Padilla is probably best suited to a low level FBS program or better yet an FCS school given his skill level.

IF he does sign somewhere I'd expect it to be at a lower level and that his academic program would be grad level work and not starting professional school (med, dental, law).
The dude from McGill played university and professional football during med school. He hasn’t done his post-grad work but he has been working towards an additional MPH while playing in the NFL.

Obviously an aberration, but possible. Smart choice if you are going to play high level football to increase your cognitive reserve to max capacity.

He has no intention of med school…a rumor only.
he has 2 years of eligibility left(covid year).
He sat behind Petras because Petras was better.
they both suffered behind a turnstile o line.
He was an outstanding team mate.
he will do well in life and we should all thank him and wish him the best.

I am guessing Alex will have a successful career in the medical field and will make more money than 90% of the people on this forum (myself included). He got his undergrad education paid for and didn't destroy his body.
Can't disagree with anything you said but you didn't answer OP's question.

You'd think at some point coaches would start sharing the poopy portal metrics with some of these dingdong kids that think the portal is going to save them. So many athletes get left behind ... like a wet fart on a bike ride.
Maybe they have. Fans just don't hear about it.

To start. No......

I don't we have any real idea what Alex can be. He got very few development reps with the 1st team unit. Got no "warm-up" games to gain experience other than big ten opponents. He was set up to fail by this coaching staff. I am not saying he is going to be great somewhere, simply saying we don't yet know.
The crazy thing about all this is the same people who are bitching that he didn't get any "warm up games" are the ones who always rail on the coaches because they NEVER play QB2 even for a quarter in a game. They get NO actual live playing time. Well Padilla played in at least 8-10 games the last two years. Played in half of some of those games, and started at least four games. He had a decent shot to show what he has, and he's not a significant upgrade in anyway. Your statement that he got very few developmental reps, doesn't hold water..

Kid had offers out of HS from Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Penn and Yale. Cross check those against a school with a medical school and you can start your list there.
Interesting. Sounds like a smart kid. I wouldn't have picked that up watching him play football. I see he won an Academic All-State award twice in high school and was named to the Academic All-Big Ten team in 2021. Maybe he can benefit from competent offensive coaching elsewhere.

The crazy thing about all this is the same people who are bitching that he didn't get any "warm up games" are the ones who always rail on the coaches because they NEVER play QB2 even for a quarter in a game. They get NO actual live playing time. Well Padilla played in at least 8-10 games the last two years. Played in half of some of those games, and started at least four games. He had a decent shot to show what he has, and he's not a significant upgrade in anyway. Your statement that he got very few developmental reps, doesn't hold water..
Ok Brian...You said he was not a significant upgrade, so are you saying he was an upgrade over a 3 year starter that go virtually all of the reps. I am not even saying he is better, but to say his "shot" was on par with Petras or virtually any other D1 starter is not true. Getting thrown to the wolves, without starting the season as the man is not the same thing as getting a legitimate shot. Hey but glad you know it all....

I am guessing Alex will have a successful career in the medical field and will make more money than 90% of the people on this forum (myself included). He got his undergrad education paid for and didn't destroy his body.
That’s what I’ve thought about Alex as well. He was at Iowa to get a free ride. Good for him. Now he’s trying to get someone to pay for a year of grad school. Also good for him. He’s using the system for what it was intended for.

Padilla is a FCS level QB and Petras is a Mac level player. This was made worse by the fact that our coaches couldn’t recruit a decent OL and fielded 2 of the worst starting tackles in college football with the least mobile/aware/athletic qB Iowa has seen.

Reactions: cm8124 and littlez
He can enroll and take three to six hours of med school classes if he wishes. Will lighten his didactic if he does decide to pursue med school. He could also take classes for a dual degree MD/MPH, MBA, JD. Plenty of options outside of actually enrolling in med school.
Unless things have changed very significantly (which I doubt) since I was in med school, having some kind of flexible schedule (3 to 6 hours "if he wishes") is not in any way an option. The curriculum is pretty standard and rigid. That being said, it would be theoretically possible for a med student to participate in collegiate athletics during the first year to year-and-a-half of med school, because this is generally given over to books and lectures, not patient contact. Even so, it would be a stretch. because a lot of independent reading and study is necessary. If special allowances are now made for so-called student-athletes, I am unaware of them.

Knowing people who have attended med school, I don't see how you'd have time for studying and playing a sport, other than maybe a club sport.

Anymore, a lot of students do a two year masters program in bio-med or another field before heading on to med school. I think he gets a two year masters paid for, and then goes on to med school from there.

There are a lot of schools that offer those two year programs, so he has a lot of options. I can't imagine he'll want to drop down to the FCS, so I think a G5 school will be the best fit for him. If he does go FCS, it'll probably be one of the Ivies because that dude is super smart.
My wife is a doc and I remember med school. No way he could play D1 football while going through med school. That said, he could work towards a masters ahead of med school while playing football.

Unless things have changed very significantly (which I doubt) since I was in med school, having some kind of flexible schedule (3 to 6 hours "if he wishes") is not in any way an option. The curriculum is pretty standard and rigid. That being said, it would be theoretically possible for a med student to participate in collegiate athletics during the first year to year-and-a-half of med school, because this is generally given over to books and lectures, not patient contact. Even so, it would be a stretch. because a lot of independent reading and study is necessary. If special allowances are now made for so-called student-athletes, I am unaware of them.
Im not sure how long ago you were in school but it is an option. I’ve seen it happen. You can take graduate level coursework as a non degree seeking student at most universities, including Iowa.

https://grad.admissions.uiowa.edu/new-students/nondegree-seeking-students

Also I mentioned didactic curriculum specifically for a reason. I didn’t insist he would be doing any type of clinical work.

That RS Freshman's numbers aren't good either.

Im not sure how long ago you were in school but it is an option. I’ve seen it happen. You can take graduate level coursework as a non degree seeking student at most universities, including Iowa.

Also I mentioned didactic curriculum specifically for a reason. I didn’t insist he would be doing any type of clinical work.
"Graduate level of course work" was not, and I suspect, is not, "med school".

Reactions: hawk224

What you are describing is NOT medical school.

Medical school....if we are talking an M.D. (or D.O.) program....is very structured, especially during the first year or two. As a 1st year med school student, you don't get to pick your classes and design a class schedule that is convenient for you. It's imperative that you follow the curriculum and stay on schedule. Very little flexibility exists. It would be very difficult for a true medical school student to participate in college football.

Reactions: hawk224
Padilla could be a steal for some mid to lower tier FBS team. He played better in his limited number of snaps than his completion percentage indicates.

I still believe that given his mobility and quicker release, he was the better option at QB, and had we played him we would have won 2-3 more games.
I disagree with the notion that had he played we would have won 2-3 more games. I just don't see the skills that you apparently see. I think he is a little more mobile than Petras...and that would be some advantage. After that...it's all down side. He's not a running QB, he doesn't throw it very well, he doesn't have very good straight ahead speed, he's most likely barely 6' tall, he looks like he's a bit thicker than previous years (read that as "a little pudgy")....and worst of all....unfortunately, it appears that he's been poorly coached.

I think we all wanted him to be faster....throw a good tight ball accurately and with strength....have that "it" factor...be super athletic and make plays, etc. The hard truth is...he just isn't those things.

I wish him success wherever he lands...but I think he's an FCS level QB.

He already got left out in the cold by Iowa. He will be better off wherever he ends up!

I don't blame him for leaving. Having to sit behind Petras had to be embarrassing. He was not going to start here when Cade got on board. Wish him the best,he had every right to throw shade at BF,but didn't. I don't see how a Div I program takes him. Best bet is a UNI.
He did no better, I dare say, not even as good as Petras.

Bit of an article in the CR gazette this morning if anyone cares to read it.
Gazetteonline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT