ADVERTISEMENT

Does prayer work?

artradley

HR Legend
Apr 26, 2013
This is just here for the guys on the wrestling board who got sidetracked.

FTR, it seems not.

Depends on what you think the purpose of it is?

That’s a good point. In the thread that I’m trying to divert, the argument was that praying for someone to survive a car accident can work. That, in fact, the odds of survival can increase if more people pray.

That’s a good angle. In the thread that I’m trying to divert, the argument was that praying for someone to survive a car accident can work. That, in fact, the odds of survival can increase if more people pray.
I don't believe that using prayer as a 1-800 number request line to God is what it's about.

Prayer gives great comfort and joy to billions of people. It's a basic human need for most people, and has been for as long as there has been such a thing as human beings.

But no, I don't think it'll keep a car crash victim from dying.

Same theory essentially for a spirit bomb on The Dragon Ball documentaries. As you might recall Goku used the hopes of the world's citizens to create a giant spirit bomb to defeat Super Buu. The difference in all of this is that Dragon Ball is actually real.
Praise be to Beerus.

• Love
Reactions: MuscoHawk and Moral
To pray is not a 911 Call to God. To pray is for folks who
trust in God and allow His Will to occur. No magic formula
to pray....just faith in Almighty God and His Will for us.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
To pray is not a 911 Call to God. To pray is for folks who
trust in God and allow His Will to occur. No magic formula
to pray....just faith in Almighty God and His Will.

tl;dr stuff happens. Also god.

Actually prayer in terms of medicine may be more harmful, especially if you're aware of it.

Study findings:
Analyzing complications in the 30 days after the operations, the researchers found no differences between those patients who were prayed for and those who were not.

In another of the study's findings, a significantly higher number of the patients who knew that they were being prayed for -- 59 percent -- suffered complications, compared with 51 percent of those who were uncertain. The authors left open the possibility that this was a chance finding. But they said that being aware of the strangers' prayers also may have caused some of the patients a kind of performance anxiety.

"It may have made them uncertain, wondering am I so sick they had to call in their prayer team?" Dr. Bethea said.

The study also found that more patients in the uninformed prayer group -- 18 percent -- suffered major complications, like heart attack or stroke, compared with 13 percent in the group that did not receive prayers. In their report, the researchers suggested that this finding might also be a result of chance.

Reactions: hawkosx
That’s a good point. In the thread that I’m trying to divert, the argument was that praying for someone to survive a car accident can work. That, in fact, the odds of survival can increase if more people pray.
Heres my thing about this.
You get the calls to the prayer warriors.

the person survives and all the praise goes to god.

the person doesnt survive and its “god must have a plan”

so if god has a plan, wouldnt soliciting prayers for an outcome that may not be part of his plan make for an angry smiteful god for interfering with his plan?

Reactions: 3boysmom and Moral
ADVERTISEMENT