ADVERTISEMENT

Does Wieskamp start?

One of these three should redshirt: Nunge, Kreiner and/or Pemsl. The front court is way too crowded.

Kreiner I think has huge potential. He has range, size and good handles. He will be a beast as a senior(and this year at 260lbs). And even more so as a 5th year.

Pemsl is a question mark. He isn't the same player he was as a freshman, when he lead the league in FG percentage. That was impressive. But he isn't 252lbs anymore. And he FINALLY has a year/summer where he isn't battling injury or illness. What has that been 5-6 years?!? At 226lbs, he will be a different player. Can he develop the range needed to play more? A redshirt year would help. But I am thinking he will want to play with this new body that he has.

Nunge has my leading vote to redshirt. The reason being is that IF he were to redshirt, he would be the only one of our large sum of bigs we have on this roster left as a senior. That would be HUGE for both Jack & the Hawks. The front court would be his. And he will be good. But able to play a LOT more minutes.... And as a 5th year senior, he would be that much better.
Plus he'll have an extra year to play with Joe, Patrick & DJ. ;)

I would expect the vets to get the nod as starters early on and we will get a mix of different kinds of line-ups during the early games that feature the inexperienced in a variety of different positions.

By league play I would guess it's J Bo, Moss, Joe, Cook, and Garza. Daily and Conner could well end up as two of the first players off the bench. If we get smaller at the three, minutes for Baer, Nunge, and Pemsl are very difficult to find. If Kriener establishes himself as Luka's back up it might be smart for Nunge to use a red shirt year. The same could be said for Pemsl, but I doubt he'd buy into it. IMO Nunge has more potential and would benefit himself and the Hawks if he did redshirt. I doubt it happens.

I can't see Joe not starting when the games really matter.

Reactions: easy2
Said this last yr n will say it again. The best on ball perimeter defender needs to guard the best dribble drive opponent. If that is Joe fine. If Moss fine. If Dailey fine. Plenty ofscoring with Cook, Garza and JBO.

Williams was best on ball defender n he quit before start of last season. If Dailey is the guy Joe will come off bench.

A bench of Baer, Kreiner, Pemsel, CMac and Joe would be pretty solid. Nunge n CJ might redshirt.

Christian was frustrating. Best defender, and by far the best defender. But CW killed the offense. He couldn't handle the ball at a B!G level, didn't see the floor and couldn't shoot from the line or anywhere else more than 18 inches from the line.

I had hoped to see him move to the small forward/wing position where his offensive liabilities could be masked with other scorers while giving the team the benefit of his defense. Water over the dam now though.

One of these three should redshirt: Nunge, Kreiner and/or Pemsl. The front court is way too crowded.

Kreiner I think has huge potential. He has range, size and good handles. He will be a beast as a senior(and this year at 260lbs). And even more so as a 5th year.

Pemsl is a question mark. He isn't the same player he was as a freshman, when he lead the league in FG percentage. That was impressive. But he isn't 252lbs anymore. And he FINALLY has a year/summer where he isn't battling injury or illness. What has that been 5-6 years?!? At 226lbs, he will be a different player. Can he develop the range needed to play more? A redshirt year would help. But I am thinking he will want to play with this new body that he has.

Nunge has my leading vote to redshirt. The reason being is that IF he were to redshirt, he would be the only one of our large sum of bigs we have on this roster left as a senior. That would be HUGE for both Jack & the Hawks. The front court would be his. And he will be good. But able to play a LOT more minutes.... And as a 5th year senior, he would be that much better.

It would be a big mistake to redshirt either of the two upperclassmen that have already been passed up on the depth chart. Why lock up a scholarship for a 5th year on players that are role players. Redshirting Nunge last year would have made sense in hindsight. While you could make the argument to redshirt him this year, he has a much higher ceiling and is currently more talented than Pemsl, Baer and/or Kriener, so you might as well play him this year too. The players have to earn their minutes, but I sure hope the top 7 or 8 includes Nunge. I hope based on skill set, talent and potential the following 9 get the bulk of minutes: JBo, Moss, Weiskamp, Cook, Garza, Dailey, Nunge, Baer and McCaffery. That should be the rotation with Kriener backing up Garza and Pemsl getting minutes in the event of foul trouble, injury or ineffectiveness from the previously mentioned front line players.

The article says it's premature to view Frederick as a SG only. He'll be in the mix to back up JBo (at the point). This was a nothing burger. Reread the article.

Fran thought Ellingson was a backup PG until SW Louisiana St. send the dogs after him. I wouldn't use Fran's opinion as an indicator of success.

Reactions: RocknRollface
How does a top 50 player not come in and start on this roster that was absolutely dreadful at the wing position last year? While I know Moss has been terribly inconsistent, I still think he starts. Bohannon, Moss, Joe W, Cook and Garza. That lineup should be a handful on the offensive end. We could end up averaging 85 pts a game. Then again, if we don't get any better on D we might give up 90.

Of course Weiskamp will start,... a more realistic question is when will Weiskamp start?...

C/Seahawk go back and watch our last game against Michigan. Nunge looked like a duck out of water. He played a couple minutes to start each half, which were embarrassingly bad, before he was relegated to the bench. Honestly in big ten play he simply wasn't ready. Nunge may have more upside then the other two but that won't happen this year at the 4 or 5 position. Nunge was a gimmick at the 3 last year, no need for that this year with Joe, Nick and Maishe. Redshirt is the best option.

Reactions: 2432Hawk
C/Seahawk go back and watch our last game against Michigan. Nunge looked like a duck out of water. He played a couple minutes to start each half, which were embarrassingly bad, before he was relegated to the bench. Honestly in big ten play he simply wasn't ready. Nunge may have more upside then the other two but that won't happen this year at the 4 or 5 position. Nunge was a gimmick at the 3 last year, no need for that this year with Joe, Nick and Maishe. Redshirt is the best option.

He was awful in that Michigan game on both ends of the floor. He was also playing minutes on the wing last year, which did not help. Him getting worse as the season went along was not a good sign.

JBo
Moss
Joe
Cook
Garza

Connor, Baer and Kreiner main 3 off the bench. Dailey/Pemsl change of pace minutes. Nunge odd man out.
I agree for the most part.

1 will be manned by JBo &, CMac
2 will be JBo, CMac & Moss with help from Joe and Maishe
3 is Joe and Maishe - rotation with Joe starting and matchups determining minutes - could see a little Baer at times
4 is Cook for all the minutes that he can stay on the floor, any of the other bigs could backup depending on matchups
5 is Garza again for all the minutes he can manage with the other bigs backing up depending on matchups, Baer doesn't really factor in here much though

Pemsls minutes will depend on if he can consistently make a 10-15 ft jumpshot.

Wildcards
Moss - can he consistently bring it
Joe - How does he intregrate into Big Time BB - I think he'll be fine - 1st and foremost he is a basketball player
Maishe - can he continue to develop from what we saw at the end of last year

Reactions: Bro D
I hope we see when JBo gets some rest that we insert both Dailey and Mcaffrey (possibly Fredrick we will have to see about what he can bring) to be in the game with Moss/Weiskamp to keep enough ball handling on the floor.

Does he take over a starting role as the season goes on? Is it a stupid question considering his hype coming out of high school? Considering his national ranking, did Fran promise him a starting job out of the gate to solidify the deal?
I think this kid was a Hawkeye all along, so that would cancel out the later. I think a big part will be were he projects in the line up. If he can play the 3, I think he has a chance as the year goes on. However, if he checks in at the 2, it will be more difficult. I see Joe as more of a shooting guard and I really cannot see him taking over Moss' starting job.
My prediction, barring injury, I think Joe gets some really good minutes off the bench all year (barring injury).
Joe starts from Day 1 and you ride with him. He is a more polished player than anyone on the roster already...he has played well on the Adidas Gauntlet against other high profile players in AAU the past few seasons. This kid could be a Big Ten Freshman of the year type player. Give him the chance to be that. I like him playing 30 minutes a game as he can play the 2,3, and possibly some 4 with a small ball lineup. He could be one of our better defenders as well as that is an underrated part of his game because of his offensive prowess. I like: JBo, Moss, Joe, Cook, and Garza as starters. Testing the NBA waters and learning what they need to improve will make Moss and Cook infinitely better this year I believe. Baer, Dailey, and Nunge would be the main bench guys with others getting situational minutes.

Reactions: Ballhawk1221

I guess my issues are as follows. First Pemsl maybe somewhat quicker, and develop some kind of a mid range game,(Maybe), but he's still basically a positionless spot duty player. He's not a three, especially on defense, and he's not big enough to guard most fours, or fives. Not to mention we have plenty of guys who can play on the block, who are better options. Personally I have ZERO interest in Nunge redshirting. I think if he is handled right this year, he has a very solid season, and is an all conf player next year. He has every tool that Utoff had, and I'd say he's a good year ahead of Jarrod in his development. You could see flashes of it last season. I just don't care if he's here three years from now. We need to win THIS season, and make a conference run in 19. Fran has shown he can bring in bigs,. Its quite possible we have a similar player in the pipeline already in PMAC anyway.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I think if he is handled right this year, he has a very solid season, and is an all conf player next year. He has every tool that Utoff had, and I'd say he's a good year ahead of Jarrod in his development. You could see flashes of it last season. I just don't care if he's here three years from now. We need to win THIS season, and make a conference run in 19. Fran has shown he can bring in bigs,. Its quite possible we have a similar player in the pipeline already in PMAC anyway.

I agree he has that potential, in the coming years. But I also believe that there are players that can do as much as he can, now, that are on the roster already. Why not use those talents, and save Nunge for an extra year? One where he will be even BETTER(Kaminsky. Uthoff) his 4th & 5th year.

Instead we have a logjam of players, which means lower minutes for all. Unless we sacrifice someone and send them to the bench. Which Fran will not do. He is loyal to a fault. Although I do like everyone we have on the team. And do not mind seeing all of them get minutes.

We need to cut some minutes. But who are you going to cut? Kreiner? Not if the last 5 games of the year were any indication of what is to come. Baer? Sure he had a down year, but he was badass his sophomore season, and will rise again. Pemsl? When he is healthier than ever, finding more range, and in the best shape of his life?

Redshirts are NOT a bad idea. Just ask Bo Ryan, who made a hall of fame career winning championships using a lot of 4th year juniors and 5th year seniors.

Joe starts from Day 1 and you ride with him. He is a more polished player than anyone on the roster already...he has played well on the Adidas Gauntlet against other high profile players in AAU the past few seasons. This kid could be a Big Ten Freshman of the year type player. Give him the chance to be that. I like him playing 30 minutes a game as he can play the 2,3, and possibly some 4 with a small ball lineup. He could be one of our better defenders as well as that is an underrated part of his game because of his offensive prowess. I like: JBo, Moss, Joe, Cook, and Garza as starters. Testing the NBA waters and learning what they need to improve will make Moss and Cook infinitely better this year I believe. Baer, Dailey, and Nunge would be the main bench guys with others getting situational minutes.

Totally agree.

I guess my issues are as follows. First Pemsl maybe somewhat quicker, and develop some kind of a mid range game,(Maybe), but he's still basically a positionless spot duty player. He's not a three, especially on defense, and he's not big enough to guard most fours, or fives. Not to mention we have plenty of guys who can play on the block, who are better options. Personally I have ZERO interest in Nunge redshirting. I think if he is handled right this year, he has a very solid season, and is an all conf player next year. He has every tool that Utoff had, and I'd say he's a good year ahead of Jarrod in his development. You could see flashes of it last season. I just don't care if he's here three years from now. We need to win THIS season, and make a conference run in 19. Fran has shown he can bring in bigs,. Its quite possible we have a similar player in the pipeline already in PMAC anyway.

Problem with Nunge is he is a 4. Hes not going to matter much more this year than he did last.

He should have red shirted last year.

I agree he has that potential, in the coming years. But I also believe that there are players that can do as much as he can, now, that are on the roster already. Why not use those talents, and save Nunge for an extra year? One where he will be even BETTER(Kaminsky. Uthoff) his 4th & 5th year.

Instead we have a logjam of players, which means lower minutes for all. Unless we sacrifice someone and send them to the bench. Which Fran will not do. He is loyal to a fault. Although I do like everyone we have on the team. And do not mind seeing all of them get minutes.

We need to cut some minutes. But who are you going to cut? Kreiner? Not if the last 5 games of the year were any indication of what is to come. Baer? Sure he had a down year, but he was badass his sophomore season, and will rise again. Pemsl? When he is healthier than ever, finding more range, and in the best shape of his life?

Redshirts are NOT a bad idea. Just ask Bo Ryan, who made a hall of fame career winning championships using a lot of 4th year juniors and 5th year seniors.

It made absolutely no sense for him to play last year but that was just par for the course for everything to do with this team.

A lineup I'd like to see -- not as a starting lineup but one that materializes through the course of a game -- is:

1. Dailey
2. JBO
3. JW
4. Baer
5. Cook or Nunge

I look for Dailey to make a big jump this year. With his playmaking ability and three 3-pt threats to dish to, this lineup could be lethal.

It made absolutely no sense for him to play last year but that was just par for the course for everything to do with this team.

Yeah it would have been nice for Dailey to redshirt his freshman year too. He'd finally have the body to play with come his 4th and 5th year... But oh well.

Too bad they don't/didn't have that new redshirt rule for basketball then...he'd only be a sophomore.

Problem with Nunge is he is a 4. Hes not going to matter much more this year than he did last.

He should have red shirted last year.

Although it would have been nice we have to keep in mind that the player has to be willing. They all know that if they RS they lose the flexibility to transfer without losing eligibility (locks them in). Giving up that flexibility is a harder sell today.

Fran wanted Dailey to RS year 1 but he refused as an example.

Last edited:
Reactions: kceasthawk

As And1 pointed out, the kid has to want to redshirt. Fran wanted Dailey too take a shirt, and he refused. A lot of these guys don't want that shirt tied up in case of an injury or a transfer, and many don't plan on being in college for five years. Its easy for us online jockeys to sit here, and decide what each player should do, like their chess pieces, but its the kids decision.

Reactions: And1Hawk
As And1 pointed out, the kid has to want to redshirt. Fran wanted Dailey too take a shirt, and he refused. A lot of these guys don't want that shirt tied up in case of an injury or a transfer, and many don't plan on being in college for five years. Its easy for us online jockeys to sit here, and decide what each player should do, like their chess pieces, but its the kids decision.

Exactly. Just remember what happened to Jarrod Uthoff: He had to sit on the bench for two seasons thanks to Bo Ryan and only got to play three. If he hadn't redshirted he at least might have seen a little PT as a freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT