ADVERTISEMENT

Does Your Employer Give Bereavement Leave

bhawk24bob

HB Legend
Jul 8, 2001
For the loss of a pet?

I’ve never had this come up for an employee, just always said to take whatever time you need.

This seems like something that shouldn’t be billed as vacation or personal time in 2024 given that seemingly everybody has a dog or cat at home

no-nope.gif

For the loss of a pet?

I’ve never had this come up for an employee, just always said to take whatever time you need.

This seems like something that shouldn’t be billed as vacation or personal time in 2024 given that seemingly everybody has a dog or cat at home
No, but it’s common for someone to take a pto/personal day.

I think employers should just give a PTO bucket and roll everything into it vacation, sick, bereavement etc. allow a decent amount of carry over.

That way you don’t give a shit why somebody is taking off work. When their PTO bucket is empty that’s it and anything else will be unpaid.

I think employers should just give a PTO bucket and roll everything into it vacation, sick, bereavement etc. allow a decent amount of carry over.

That way you don’t give a shit why somebody is taking off work. When their PTO bucket is empty that’s it and anything else will be unpaid.
This is the only correct answer.

Reactions: jasonrann
It’s a family member, why would this not be serious? I’m not talking about a fish or a ferret
Reminds me of a story. My first place was a small eighties build that I bought coming out of the Great Recession. Gut job. I GC’d it and my plumber was this really huge greasy prototypical blue collar hardass type. He was plumbing a huge walk in shower with multiple heads, body sprays, etc. I was talking to another contractor and heard the distinct sound of a man crying. Walk in the master bath and homie is on the floor crying like you cry when a family member dies.

It was his Boston Terrier. He told me he needed to leave for the day. Came back the next day like nothing happened.

My wife’s new job does. It’s becoming quite common actually.

I think employers keep it separate from PTO to avoid having to pay it out on termination.

Our company has been talking about switching to PTO for a few years but I'm not sure it will ever happen. The biggest issue is how to handle people like me, who has stopped accruing sick time for years because I may take 1 sick day a year. They don't want to give me all of that as PTO but don't want to screw me over either. It would be so much easier because you know people are calling in sick when they're running low on vacation days.

No specific days but we give two personal days on top of usual vacation, sick leave, and bereavement for an immediate family member.

Our company has been talking about switching to PTO for a few years but I'm not sure it will ever happen. The biggest issue is how to handle people like me, who has stopped accruing sick time for years because I may take 1 sick day a year. They don't want to give me all of that as PTO but don't want to screw me over either. It would be so much easier because you know people are calling in sick when they're running low on vacation days. The newbies.
I worked for a company that did that and they had no problem at all screwing over people that had built up sick time. They also took it a step farther and gave everyone unlimited time off. So having been there for 10 years, I had the same amount of vacation as someone there 1 day. Guess which people were the ones to abuse this as well?

I worked for a company that did that and they had no problem at all screwing over people that had built up sick time. They also took it a step farther and gave everyone unlimited time off. So having been there for 10 years, I had the same amount of vacation as someone there 1 day. Guess which people were the ones to abuse this as well?
Unlimited pto might be the greatest grift of all time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT