ADVERTISEMENT

Doesn't this have the feel of every major upset Iowa has pulled under KF?

I just hope players come out of the game injury free, because it will be a long night.
It will be a long night, but the game is an 11 a.m. start Iowa time, so it'll be a long day as well.

My guess: Ohio State 62, Iowa 3

I don't see the Buckeyes letting up on the Hawkeyes, and even when the reserves take over, they'll crunch Iowa.

BTW: In 1950, when 6-0 scores were common, Ohio State beat Iowa 83-21. If THE OSU wanted, they probably could duplicate that score.

Granted I don't recall any of these major upsets happening on the road, but when it feels like the team is about to hit rock bottom, Kirk seems to find a way to pull the best performance of the year out of his players. I think back to the 2016 michigan win, the team had just been destroyed on the road at Penn State, and things looked bad... the offense didn't do anything that night, we got a safety and a few crazy breaks, and we threw for about 70 yards and won.

If ever there was a time for iowa to shock the world, this would be it.
wrong.gif

Granted I don't recall any of these major upsets happening on the road, but when it feels like the team is about to hit rock bottom, Kirk seems to find a way to pull the best performance of the year out of his players. I think back to the 2016 michigan win, the team had just been destroyed on the road at Penn State, and things looked bad... the offense didn't do anything that night, we got a safety and a few crazy breaks, and we threw for about 70 yards and won.

No

You joking, right OP?

Other big upsets usually had one thing on common: a QB with NFL level talent.. Stanzi spent time on the league, CJ spent time in the league, Nate got a cup of coffee in the league;

Spencer, will be fortunate get a camp invite, KF will make sure he does. But he’s the #46th best QB in the draft per this link:

No. This is, at best, a 6-6 team. And O$U is one of the 6s on the right.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
No way this defense gives up 35 in the first half. No freaking way.
The defense is good, but we haven’t seen an offense close to this one. With constant 3 and outs, a couple of scores, much like the Big 10 CG, our spirit will break quickly. tOSU will be able to name the score.

Reactions: littlez
Agree with the above — nope. Not even close. This one has “laugher” written all over it. And unfortunately it will likely be fodder for the national media to keep on mocking KF and BF.

Lucky for KF and BF, they get NW in Kinnick the next week — our own highly probable win left on the schedule. On the other hand, NW will know they have nothing to lose and the pressure will be on the Hawks. With a complete liability of an offense, that’s a tough spot. If they drop that one, the national mockery goes to an all-time high and the wheels fall off. Could actually help force the band aid to get ripped off, though.

Will be an interesting next 6 (maybe 7) games. I’m actually really curious to see how it pans out. Hope of reaching any goals is pretty much gone; now it’s just a question of just how bad it gets, and what kinds of changes are forced as a result.
I know that Iowa's chances are slim and none... but what do we have if we don't have hope?
You joking, right OP?

Other big upsets usually had one thing on common: a QB with NFL level talent.. Stanzi spent time on the league, CJ spent time in the league, Nate got a cup of coffee in the league;

Spencer, will be fortunate get a camp invite, KF will make sure he does. But he’s the #46th best QB in the draft per this link:

the other thing they had in common? Iowa had a good defense and got a little lucky. Iowa hasn’t had a lot in the luck department this year, see the fumble/not fumble vs Illinois, the goal line fumble vs Iowa State, Roberts slip down on the pick vs Iowa state,

Reactions: BuckeyeAlumnus

LOLza

Agree with the above — nope. Not even close. This one has “laugher” written all over it. And unfortunately it will likely be fodder for the national media to keep on mocking KF and BF.

Lucky for KF and BF, they get NW in Kinnick the next week — our own highly probable win left on the schedule. On the other hand, NW will know they have nothing to lose and the pressure will be on the Hawks. With a complete liability of an offense, that’s a tough spot. If they drop that one, the national mockery goes to an all-time high and the wheels fall off. Could actually help force the band aid to get ripped off, though.

Will be an interesting next 6 (maybe 7) games. I’m actually really curious to see how it pans out. Hope of reaching any goals is pretty much gone; now it’s just a question of just how bad it gets, and what kinds of changes are forced as a result.
Yep, a complete tank job is probably a better long term result as it should initiate some change.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
If we don't turn the ball over, and if the defense can be opportunistic, there's a slim chance Iowa can keep the game within a long arm's reach well into the 2nd half. A fumbled punt, a fumbled snap, ricochet interception, strip sack.. If we can get to half down 14-3, and the defense/special teams can come up with a play, there's still not a great chance to win, but I do think we can hang around.
joint-cheech-and-chong.gif

Nope. It's away. It's against the best team we will play all year by a pretty large margin IMO.

Even with other games in the past where I thought Iowa didn't really have a chance (Michigan @ home, OSU @ home, PSU @ home), the offense wasn't this bad.

We might be, unbelievably, underestimating how bad this offense truly is. Especially considering Iowa is a good program, in a power 5 conference, with a great defense, that recruits decently.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I know that Iowa's chances are slim and none... but what do we have if we don't have hope?

the other thing they had in common? Iowa had a good defense and got a little lucky. Iowa hasn’t had a lot in the luck department this year, see the fumble/not fumble vs Illinois, the goal line fumble vs Iowa State, Roberts slip down on the pick vs Iowa state,
Iowa blocked two punts against ISU and have had spectacularly amazing punting which has cooled off a bit recently. So to say they haven’t had those game changing, luck type plays go there way this year doesn’t hold much water.

There is no upside if your plan includes to get lucky.

we lost to isu and mich at home. no upset of osu on the road is forthcoming.
by halftime, the crowd in columbus will be satiated. in second half i wouldnt be surprised if they stop being partisan and start cheering for iowa's d and booing iowa's o.

no

I think so too, but I also was very confident Hawks were going to win against Illinois. I didn’t have a great reason, just felt like it was supposed to go down that way.
Hell I thought they would beat ISU and Illinois. With anything but the worst offense in college football they would have. Pisses me off such a shit show can be assembled. What a waste of a great defense.

Our offense scored ONE td vs MI and we would have lost if the D didn't get a safety.

the D isn't gonna shut down this OSU offense, they're 100x better than that MI offense.

if you're wanting to bet, lmk! I'd gladly spot you 14 points :)

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

Not only no but **** NO!!!

Can I have some of your weed please…..

@Legs94 hit it on the spot. This the problem when Kirk’s so called plan of shortening the game, punting, etc doesn’t work. As good as our defense is (and it’s really good) at the end of the 1st half we will have 3 first downs, 65 yards of offense and 8-9 minutes of possession. No defense no matter how good can hold a team that talented down like that. It might only be 14 or 17 to 0 at the half but then they are bound to hit a few big plays and probably win 42-3 or so.

no. there have been years where Iowa hasn't played up to its potential. this isn't one of those years. They are dogshit on offense and it's not going to get any better. they are not beating anybody but NW and that is a toss up IMO.

Reactions: Thunderlips71

No, it doesn't. This isn't just a team that hasn't found its rhythm yet. The offense is historically bad. Throw in the fact that it's in the shoe...not a chance in hell.

I'm thinking the Hawks play tough in the first half and keep it somewhat respectable. Maybe a 17-3 or 21-3 type score at the half. Probably a pretty ugly 3rd quarter and first 8-10 minutes of the 4th. Could see it ending 45-3, 52-6...something like that.

Wildcard would be if Petras gets dinged early...and I could absolutely see that happening. A different QB (I'm assuming Padilla) would probably create spark for the rest of the team and we could see some collective improvement in the offense that sort of adds up. With everyone elevating their game a bit, the result may be a game that ends 38-14ish. I sure wish they could find a way to win....and I'll cheer hard for them the whole way but....I'd take that 38-14 score on the road against Ohio State this year.

You should think about therapy.

People who act like their predictions are God's gift, as a fan or paid writer, won't consider this as a serious possibility.

How many actually predicted the Michigan game 14-13 game coming or Ohio State in 2017. I don't mean cheating around "it could happen" bs. I mean actually put that prediction in writing. For the Ohio State game at least, I would imagine the answer would be zero. None. And yet we still act like their predictions mean something.

It's not just about being mostly incapable of creative thinking. It's that nobody has the access to either team to see that. If someone who actually knows football is at the practices now, and Ohio States practices, that is a prediction I would take seriously. So for me it's blah blah blah it's basketball season. Just enjoy the possibility that our defense could give Ohio State fits at least.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT