ADVERTISEMENT

Doing a Criminal Backgound Check a NoNo?

Mufasa94

Team MVP
Jan 9, 2009
Never thought that a business doing a criminal background check on a potential employee should be considered discriminatory against a minority.

To top it off, our federal officials want to try and force them to hire these less than exemplary people and give them missed out on back pay.

Ridiculous

hmm, mark me down for the “Do not care about this” vote.

I only cared enough to read it and post this.
GLfrT68XIAALBC3

Slightly confused. Are they trying to say that they hired white people at a higher rate than minorities with similar criminal backgrounds? Or are they saying that not hiring anyone with a criminal background is illegal, but it disproportionately discriminates against minorities? If it is the latter, I don’t know it makes it to court. I don’t know that I have ever had a job that didn’t do a criminal background check and it should clearly be allowed as a reason to not hire someone.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Slightly confused. Are they trying to say that they hired white people at a higher rate than minorities with similar criminal backgrounds? Or are they saying that not hiring anyone with a criminal background is illegal, but it disproportionately discriminates against minorities? If it is the latter, I don’t know it makes it to court. I don’t know that I have ever had a job that didn’t do a criminal background check and it should clearly be allowed as a reason to not hire someone.
Other articles present it as the latter.

Never thought that a business doing a criminal background check on a potential employee should be considered discriminatory against a minority.

To top it off, our federal officials want to try and force them to hire these less than exemplary people and give them missed out on back pay.

Ridiculous
“Even when such necessity is proven, the practice remains unlawful if there is an alternative practice available that is comparably effective in achieving the employer’s goals but causes less discriminatory effect,” Lawrence said.

The EEOC notified Sheetz in 2022 that it was likely violating civil rights law, but the agency said its efforts to mediate a settlement failed, prompting this week’s lawsuit.

Seems reasonable to me.

If they had just had a policy where they would reject all applicants who fail a criminal background check, this wouldn't have been a problem. It looks like they may have some racial biases when it comes to cherry-picking employees who did fail their background check.....at least that's how I read it.

Reactions: thewop
If they had just had a policy where they would reject all applicants who fail a criminal background check, this wouldn't have been a problem. It looks like they may have some racial biases when it comes to cherry-picking employees who did fail their background check.....at least that's how I read it.
Yeah, seems like that's the only way they could run into something like this.

Background checks are pretty standard procedure anymore though. I had to have one to coach kids in county league flag football.

Agree. That’s what I was trying to figure out at the article is poorly written. In one paragraph they say there is no allegations of racial bias, but then the paragraphs with the statistics make it seem they are suggesting that

If they had just had a policy where they would reject all applicants who fail a criminal background check, this wouldn't have been a problem.
Where in the article does it say that isn't the practice?
It looks like they may have some racial biases when it comes to cherry-picking employees who did fail their background check.....at least that's how I read it.
Where exactly is there a mention about cherry picking failed background checks? Or are you just making an assumption based on an accusation?

How about this article?

The U.S. EEOC alleges that Sheetz has a practice of screening all applicants for records of criminal conviction and then denying them employment based on said record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT