ADVERTISEMENT

Dolph vs. Jeff

MikeT2425

HR MVP
Oct 13, 2002
Iowa City
Hopefully, not beating a dead horse, but drove to Chicago listening to our game on Saturday and back to IC on Sunday listening to the Bears loss. The difference in announcers was striking and sad. Hadn't listened to Dolph and Eddie in years, but I had given them the benefit of the doubt because of their loyalty.

As a listener, you want the picture quickly and accurately. Our guys are Zabel bad. I tried to listen for crowd noise to figure out what was happening, but the Big House crowd wasn't helpful. Our guys didn't set up the play and, more importantly, did not give the RESULTS of the play, until Dolph tried to fill the air with cute words. Gave no yards gained or yard lines until after trying to describe the play and having Eddie provide analysis that sometimes ran counter to Dolph's call. (They didn't seem to notice.) Rarely gave the score and time. Hopefully, few listen to the radio. Embarrassing.

Jeff Joniak and former Bear Tom Thayer were excellent. Joniak painted the picture before the play: substitutions, Bears and Raiders formations and shifts. Quick results: play as it developed, players involved, yards gained, yard line, penalties, injuries. Often provided the score and time remaining. Thayer offered succinct analysis. They rooted for the Bears but gave credit to tje Raiders. They had done their homework.

I may be giving too much credit to the Bears announcers, but after listening to both disappointing losses, the difference is staggering! It must be time for retirement and wishing two fine Hawkeyes farewell.

Hopefully, not beating a dead horse, but drove to Chicago listening to our game on Saturday and back to IC on Sunday listening to the Bears loss. The difference in announcers was striking and sad. Hadn't listened to Dolph and Eddie in years, but I had given them the benefit of the doubt because of their loyalty.

As a listener, you want the picture quickly and accurately. Our guys are Zabel bad. I tried to listen for crowd noise to figure out what was happening, but the Big House crowd wasn't helpful. Our guys didn't set up the play and, more importantly, did not give the RESULTS of the play, until Dolph tried to fill the air with cute words. Gave no yards gained or yard lines until after trying to describe the play and having Eddie provide analysis that sometimes ran counter to Dolph's call. (They didn't seem to notice.) Rarely gave the score and time. Hopefully, few listen to the radio. Embarrassing.

Jeff Joniak and former Bear Tom Thayer were excellent. Joniak painted the picture before the play: substitutions, Bears and Raiders formations and shifts. Quick results: play as it developed, players involved, yards gained, yard line, penalties, injuries. Often provided the score and time remaining. Thayer offered succinct analysis. They rooted for the Bears but gave credit to tje Raiders. They had done their homework.

I may be giving too much credit to the Bears announcers, but after listening to both disappointing losses, the difference is staggering! It must be time for retirement and wishing two fine Hawkeyes farewell.
First of all, the Bears suck, so that's establishing the problem right there......;)

Secondly, NFL announcers certainly seem to call the game differently (even if slightly) than college radio PBP guys. The exception is when you get the crossover guys who do an array of work for both pro and college sports.

Btw, as a Vikings fan, I am treated to the best PBP guy in the business in Paul Allen, who has no equal. :cool:

Reactions: WestIAHawk

I agree, Dolph does a bad job of calling the game. End of story.

Yes, there is a higher level of announcing at the NFL level & the Bears guys are excellent.

But having said that, Dolph is absolute garbage. Huge Hawk fan & great on the I-Club tour...but really poor at his craft.

Reactions: mchawk57
i'm not a bears fan, but joniak is just awesome. makes you want to get in the game!

i've actually looked into trying to contact him to see if he'd be interested. looks like he has his own communications company that is closely tied to the bears, so i don't know if he has 12 free saturdays in the fall.

I listened to 5 minutes of the Cowboys broadcast of the Dallas/Green Bay game and was thankful for Dolph.

First of all, the Bears suck, so that's establishing the problem right there......;)

Secondly, NFL announcers certainly seem to call the game differently (even if slightly) than college radio PBP guys. The exception is when you get the crossover guys who do an array of work for both pro and college sports.

Btw, as a Vikings fan, I am treated to the best PBP guy in the business in Paul Allen, who has no equal. :cool:

I've done PBP, and PA is very good.

Are some of you now just learning this? He's been pretty bad at his job since day one. I'll listen to pregame and halftime for any injury news and post game for interviews, but only listen to the play-by-play if there's no other option, which is not often needed now due to the hand held streaming devices.

He's even worse at basketball. He does have a great voice and that's carried him a long way, but his ability to clearly and concisely call a game is non existent.

Reactions: Eternal Return
Meh, it's gonna be a bad day if I'm stuck listening to the game on the radio, doesn't matter who I am listening to!

Thankfully that shouldn't be happening any games this year :D

Dolph lost his fastball about 10 years ago. He and Buddy Boy just can’t keep up. I’ve said for a long time that Dolph should be an ambassador and do pre-game and halftime features. If you want to know what’s going on, listen to the crowd noise or the visiting team broadcast

Reactions: ichawk24
Those that like Dolphin will promote two main defenses on his behalf:

1. He s a nice guy (and a Hawkeye fan); and/or

2. There is a PBP broadcaster out there that is worse.

#1 is irrelevant to his profession.

#2 is an unintended dig regarding his broadcasting skills.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT