ADVERTISEMENT

Dom Uhl is our only Senior; What will his role be? Can he lead this team to the NCAA Tourney?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Crazy to think that Dom was a starter at the beginning of last season.

Dom is kinda quiet; its going to be interesting to see if Fran has told him that this is "his team," similar to what he did with Jok and players before Jok.

Here are Dom's stats for his first 3 years:

Min......PPG......FG%...3PT%...FT%...REB......BLK....STL

Here is a Tom Kakert / Rivals interview from Sunday's PTL games: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/uhl-excited-for-trip-back-home

Here is an article discussing how he looks for a turn around season: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...one-senior-looks-turnaround-season/432284001/

Last edited:
I believe Dom still has some elite'ish athleticism/skills like his ball handling for his size and does have the ability to play some lockdown defense. His biggest issue is inconsistency and lack of confidence. If he could regain some of his 3 point shooting from sophomore year, limit turnovers and play a little more aggressively off the bench, he could be a valuable, albeit small, piece to the puzzle. It will be difficult for him to earn minutes as our roster is very crowded with young talent.

He'll be the forgotten man before Christmas. Too much talent in front of him. If Nunge is half the player people are discussing then he's going to displace Dom pretty fast. Hopefully he blows it up senior year but not expecting that to happen. Either he blows it up or we have some young players regressing since last season or overrated recruits.

Uhl has had pretty of opportunity to shine and other than a few game stretch a couple years ago it just hasn't materialized. If it hasn't happened by now it is very unlikely it ever will. I'm sure he is a good guy and he has evidently conducted himself well as a Hawkeye but for some reason his game hasn't blossomed.

Not a knock on Uhl but he will not be leading this team one iota. And certainly not to the Dance.

His ceiling is to be a role player who can knock down an occasional open three. He needs to focus on improving his defense, ball handling, and eliminating silly turnovers. As others have pointed out, confidence would go a long way in improving upon those three objectives.

It is interesting, however, to speculate on who might take a leadership role this season. This is the first year in quite some time Iowa won't have an obvious senior (or group of seniors in the case of '15-'16) to lead the team.

Dom is not the team leader. He needs to play maybe 10 minutes a game, score 6 or 7 points in that time and play great defense.

I think there's an outside chance that Fran gives the senior a shot to start at the 3 at the beginning of the year. That assumes Dom gives him reason to do that by showing up with that senior urgency when practice starts in the fall. Dom has the physical tools he just hasn't shown the drive or intensity.

That said, if I was betting money, I think Dom plays a role similar to last year and that's only because Fran is loyal to his seniors.

Hope I'm wrong mostly because Dom just seems like a good kid.

Reactions: Ree4 and Hawksfor3
Crazy to think that Dom was a starter at the beginning of last season.

Dom is kinda quiet; its going to be interesting to see if Fran has told him that this is "his team," similar to what he did with Jok and players before Jok.

Here are Dom's stats for his first 3 years:

Min......PPG......FG%...3PT%...FT%...REB......BLK....STL

Here is a Tom Kakert / Rivals interview from Sunday's PTL games: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/uhl-excited-for-trip-back-home

Here is an article discussing how he looks for a turn around season: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...one-senior-looks-turnaround-season/432284001/
I believe that last link is the article by Mark Emmert. I recall that he stated that Dom had a terrible shooting year and only scored 2 PTs in the last eight games of the season. He was reluctant to shoot even when unguarded.

Dom says he's ready now and only time will tell.

Reactions: perryhawk
Uhl has had pretty of opportunity to shine and other than a few game stretch a couple years ago it just hasn't materialized. If it hasn't happened by now it is very unlikely it ever will. I'm sure he is a good guy and he has evidently conducted himself well as a Hawkeye but for some reason his game hasn't blossomed.
I agree. To suddenly have it all together to me anyway, seems unlikely. But, you never know. Maybe he can put the golden laces in his tennies and become a beast.

In the movie "Everest", Rob Hall was worried about Scott Fisher, and Fisher told Hall: "You know what they say, man, it's the attitude not the altitude".

I hope Dom's attitude is one of confidence, and trusting himself to come through. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Leaders have followers. I don't think this team will be following Dom.

I'd like to see Baer be the guy to set the tone. We get consistant effort, a desire to play the game the right way, and we know he'll get everything his talent will allow. It's my hope he's our captain.

It's up to him. When he's active, crashing the boards, getting putbacks, getting to the line, etc.....he gets in a rhythm and the rest falls into place and plays well. It also helps his confidence, which seems to be a struggle for him. I cringe when I see him out on the perimeter just being a ball reverser because I know he won't get involved and will be sitting 20 seconds later. Senior year hopefully he puts it all together. I know we're all pulling for him. He can make this team better.

I like Dom as a point forward (against a non-pressing team). He's got really good vision and a surprising handle. Put the ball in his hands will build his confidence, plus it's a position that doesn't put a premium on scoring. Pair him with Ellingson at the 2, Nunge at the 3, Wagner/Pemsl at the 4 and Garza at the 5 and that's a pretty tough, smart and versatile 2nd line with NBA length and size.

I like Dom as a point forward (against a non-pressing team). He's got really good vision and a surprising handle. Put the ball in his hands will build his confidence, plus it's a position that doesn't put a premium on scoring. Pair him with Ellingson at the 2, Nunge at the 3, Wagner/Pemsl at the 4 and Garza at the 5 and that's a pretty tough, smart and versatile 2nd line with NBA length and size.
If that would happen (playing him at the 2), he could possibly get scoring opportunities from outside on a kick out from the post. Or, he could score on a pick and roll. Even if scoring wasn't happening for him, he could grab some valuable rebounds, both offensive and defensive. If his shooting has improved from last year, it would be welcome, but if it hasn't, then as you say, his vision should be an asset for the others.

Dom minutes will be maybe 5 a game. Mop up duty. To think any more is silly. He is probably a great teammate but at this point in time minutes should go to the younger guys.

Hopefully he can go out with a terrific senior season. I think he will play the role that many will play: fill in where and when he can and hopefully make the most of his minutes...

On a sidenote: Dang, it's pretty darn exciting to think we only have one senior on the roster ... When you look at the roster ... and consider the talent ... it's gonna be a fun ride.

I believe that last link is the article by Mark Emmert. I recall that he stated that Dom had a terrible shooting year and only scored 2 PTs in the last eight games of the season. He was reluctant to shoot even when unguarded.

Dom says he's ready now and only time will tell.
Correct. He only played 8 mpg the last 8 games and only took 8 shots total. Fran will give him the opportunity, but I don't think he takes advantage and avg more than 9-10 mpg over the course of the season.

I also think Baer and JBo will be the leaders.

Dom's go-to move: Catch the ball on the wing, dribble-drive to the free throw line, stop, look confused, and pass the ball to someone else.

No knock to Uhl at all, but his only purpose is to give guys a breather and put down a few unexpected shots that may help in the long run. I don't think he scores more than 15 points in a game this coming season.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Not unless he has a Tom Davis like senior season that sees major improvement in his game. The team is in trouble if he is a major player - even with modest improvements in his game. Just my opinion.

This Uhl guy looks pretty good coming out of h.s. o_O

We should definitely ignore the past 3 years, and focus on his highschool tape. Let's be honest here, he should not play more than 5MPG this next year with the cast we have. Cook, Pemsl, Wagner, Baer, and Kreiner all look better from last years game, and it wouldn't surprise me if Garza and Nunge are as well. Dom just hasn't turned into the player many thought around here, including myself.

I'm pulling for Dom, it's there, he just needs to cut his hair and play his game.. play good d and rebound, and play smart offensively and he'll enjoy a good senior year. But as far as leading the team?? I haven't seen that from him but you never know.

I think his best role is as a senior who happens to be a great teammate and works with the younger players, sets and example in practice, and doesn't spend one second worrying about how many minutes he gets.

He doesn't even need to be a vocal leader! We've got guys that will cover that for him.

The value of having a guy that knows the offense from several spots, can come in and give hustle and defense? Wonderful. I'll take ten minutes from Dom if our centers each get in foul trouble (mark my words...it'll happen more than once.) And I wouldn't be surprised if he plays great for all ten! Same with the power forwards.

That's Uhl and Wagner's job, right now, as I see it. Work hard and be ready. And when your names get called go out there and play like it's the last two minutes in the game.

Reactions: Ree4
It would be great if he took ownership of the 3 spot. That's where we need him and he is going to have to perform. Tend to agree that it probably isn't in the cards for him but some seniors get it and play above their heads. Let's hope he is one of them.

Reactions: perryhawk
I'm pulling for Dom, it's there, he just needs to cut his hair and play his game.. play good d and rebound, and play smart offensively and he'll enjoy a good senior year. But as far as leading the team?? I haven't seen that from him but you never know.

No. Let it grow. He needs dreads. We need someone with the Nene look going on.

This
nene-do-washington-wizards-sorri-durante-derrota-da-sua-equipe-328397123.jpg

Agree with the above, if he averages 10 mins a game, plays some decent defense his best leadership will be cheering from the bench and setting an example as a good teammate.

Dom isn't a leader and who the hell would follow him.
His role is to get off the bus in Germany and the driver to pull away and leave him at home.
He is one of the worst basketball players I have ever seen. Fran missed on this kid.
Oh well, you can't win them all.
OP your smoking crack if you think he's going to be a contributor to this team let alone take
the team to NCAA tournament.
Nunge will be starting at the 3 and the Baer cage will be 6th man of the year again in the Big.

Much rather see AW at 3 than Dom. How much worse could AW shoot from outside? Dom's .238 from three doesn't leave much room for a worse shooter getting the minutes. I already know that Wagner was 0-2 but I'm discounting based on lack of attempts. You get more athleticism, more strength for sure, and a much higher motor. Whatever might be lost in man to man defense could be gained in other parts of the game.

Oh, he also doesn't cheer from the bench either. He's got Uthoff's personality or lack of personality.

His role is to get off the bus in Germany and the driver to pull away and leave him at home.
He is one of the worst basketball players I have ever seen. Fran missed on this kid.
OP your smoking crack if you think he's going to be a contributor to this team let alone take
Nunge will be starting at the 3 and the Baer cage will be 6th man of the year again in the Big.

Damn..a little harsh eh

One of the worst you've ever seen? Thats ridiculous.

Hes better than most of the guys that played for lickliter alone.

Dom is not the team leader. He needs to play maybe 10 minutes a game, score 6 or 7 points in that time and play great defense.

If anyone on this team is averaging 6-7 points with only 10 minutes of playing time, I'd question Fran's rotations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT