ADVERTISEMENT

Dom Uhl Overseas

Dom is #12 in this video, to give you another idea of his current build. They lost 2 single digit games to Chinese National Team in Italy (they are ranked #14). Uhl led them in rebounds in one game with 12, so my sense is that he's been one of the top two rebounders for them but not a lead scoring option (probably guard oriented). Given that we lack some size, he's definitely looking more like a PF now.

Yes, Dom Uhl can play some center. In fact between Uhl, Woody and Uthoff turns out we aren't terribly off the size we had last year with Olaseni, White and Woody. Within a couple inches. Within 25 lbs between them.

Still important that Woody plays as many minutes as possible.

as some of us mentioned after seeing Uhl in Prime Time..his body size & strength has changed dramatically from the end of season to now...apparently some of you didn't believe us? ;)

I see Uhl as being the biggest difference maker for next season...with that comes the tag of stepping up...he now has more body strength to help him. Listening to Settles on the last podcast...sounds like he agrees.

Reactions: DanL53
I stand by my revkev argument of him being a clown bc he projects that MG is an below avg PG and he is not, he is very good and we will see even more of that this season. Rev doesn't seem to appreciate the amazing job Mike did last season of dictating the tempo of the game (when to push and when to pull back).

I forgot about Killroy, that guy was an obvious troll IMO, if Legend called him out good for him.
I honestly don't think Kilroy (or whatever he's called now) was a troll. If it's the same person I'm thinking of I actually grilled him a bit about his neurologic status and just based on his responses he at least 'acted' like he had a bona fide condition. Obviously, one can't tell from such a setting, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to describing medical conditions until proven otherwise.

Reactions: Vbeachawk
I expect Dom to help us a lot more with rebounding than we might have initially thought, given his new size and performance with East Coast. Not sure he'll be more than a complimentary scorer but he should be able to finish a lot better around the rim when given the opportunity.

Doesn't strike me as a back to the basket type offensive player, or that he'll get a lot of face up opportunities to drive the ball with. Could be a perfect stretch 4 though with size to defend that position now.

as some of us mentioned after seeing Uhl in Prime Time..his body size & strength has changed dramatically from the end of season to now...apparently some of you didn't believe us? ;)

I see Uhl as being the biggest difference maker for next season...with that comes the tag of stepping up...he now has more body strength to help him. Listening to Settles on the last podcast...sounds like he agrees.

We believe you now bob!! Wow what a transformation. Very anxious to see what he does this year as is everyone I think.

Yes, Dom Uhl can play some center. In fact between Uhl, Woody and Uthoff turns out we aren't terribly off the size we had last year with Olaseni, White and Woody. Within a couple inches. Within 25 lbs between them.

I think Uthoff is going to be too important offensively to have him using his energy and risking foul trouble trying to guard opposing centers. If I were the opposing coach and saw Uthoff guarding my center, I would be posting him up repeatedly to get him out of the game.

Last year's Uhl was definitely not someone you would to put at center. I haven't seen him play this summer, but reports and pictures make me less worried about minutes when Woody is not on the floor.

I like this team's offensive potential, which should be better than last year. I guess we will have to wait and see about the defensive end.

I expect Dom to help us a lot more with rebounding than we might have initially thought, given his new size and performance with East Coast. Not sure he'll be more than a complimentary scorer but he should be able to finish a lot better around the rim when given the opportunity.

Doesn't strike me as a back to the basket type offensive player, or that he'll get a lot of face up opportunities to drive the ball with. Could be a perfect stretch 4 though with size to defend that position now.
Without looking at the stats it seems that Uhl rebounded at a pretty good rate last year. At the very least he seemed very active and kept alot of balls alive.

I think Fran will have to play the matchups this year. Depending on who opposing teams put on Uthoff/Uhl they should have some sort of an advantage. If they put a big on Uhl I think he has one of the quickest first steps on the team and can get by most PF at will, his issue has been decision making when he drives and help comes can he make the right decision or does he force up shots like he did on a few occasions last year.

The other unknown is will his shot improve. He was a willing shooter last year but couldn't get anything to fall. Even without an outside shot he can impact the game in alot of ways, but with a decent shot he could be really good.

I think Uhl backs up Uthoff/Woody when they are out and will get about 20 minutes per game or more depending on foul trouble.

Number of different people who saw Uhl said he looks thicker and more defined.

Uhl is key element in the most likely of Iowa's optimistic scenarios. The Hawks have three senior and a junior returning starters. Everyone knows that we need another starter and some reserves to succeed in the B1G because none of our starters are proven "star" players that can carry a team.

The most likely scenario for Iowa to repeat or improve on last season is Uhl becomes a quality starter that can play significant minutes. He's got the D1 experience. I'm told he's more athletic than Jones whom I've not seen play. He's got the size, 6'8" to be a good forward. His shot looked good but was very inaccurate-which could be an experience and confidence problem that the season and summer dispels. All of those positive attributes make it more likely that Uhl is the 5th starter on whom Iowa success in 2016 depends .

Number of different people who saw Uhl said he looks thicker and more defined.

Uhl is key element in the most likely of Iowa's optimistic scenarios. The Hawks have three senior and a junior returning starters. Everyone knows that we need another starter and some reserves to succeed in the B1G because none of our starters are proven "star" players that can carry a team.

The most likely scenario for Iowa to repeat or improve on last season is Uhl becomes a quality starter that can play significant minutes. He's got the D1 experience. I'm told he's more athletic than Jones whom I've not seen play. He's got the size, 6'8" to be a good forward. His shot looked good but was very inaccurate-which could be an experience and confidence problem that the season and summer dispels. All of those positive attributes make it more likely that Uhl is the 5th starter on whom Iowa success in 2016 depends .

I like your positive thoughts this year Mr. Sleeping Dog! I do think though that Uthoff is star material. And Jok has the potential to be so on offense.

I honestly don't think Kilroy (or whatever he's called now) was a troll. If it's the same person I'm thinking of I actually grilled him a bit about his neurologic status and just based on his responses he at least 'acted' like he had a bona fide condition. Obviously, one can't tell from such a setting, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to describing medical conditions until proven otherwise.

No, he was/is legitimately insane.

There is an old saying about a player making the most improvement between his freshman and sophomore years. I'm hoping this is the case with Uhl. He certainly has improved his physique. Hopefully that will translate to him being a consistent performer on the court.

If Uhl can really step it up(and it sounds like he has, some), we will not be too far off at all.

NOW, who is the backup to take some of those minutes for Uthoff sliding over, Jok? Probably. But I see a need for a Hutton or a Wagner or a Jones to get some minutes. I hope they earn them...

Jok is not Uthoff's backup...Uthoff plays as a stretch 4..Jok wing 3. Uhl will certainly see some time as Uthoffs' backup when Woody is still in the game....so on those occasions when Woody & Uthoff are both out....yes Hutton, Wagner & Jones are all candidates to play along side Uhl...

I also think Hutton & Jones are candidates to backup Jok at wing 3...so it may be Wagner that gets more time as Uthoff's backup...

We need to keep 3 shooters on the floor as much as possible (ie: shoot 3's at 35% or better) in order to keep the right spacing. Gesell, Clemmons (can only shoot the open, catch and shoot version, which isn't good enough imo) and Woodbury don't meet that criteria.

So I think Jok, Jones/Uhl and Uthoff are the obvious pairings here, and if Uhl is our backup Center we'll see a lot of Jones at PF, Uthoff at SF, and Jok at 2G.

Fleming should see a lot of time backing up the 2G and Ellingson can also shoot.

When we only have 1 or 2 "shooters" on the floor, it is so much easier to defend us because the threat of the 3 gives us the lanes to the hoop and most of our points come from one of those two options. Very few come from the post set.

This is why it might be hard to play Hutton a lot of minutes against the best teams, since he'll be taking a shooter off the floor in most cases.

Interesting point- who will be high percentage 3pt shooters this year?
Obviously Jok and Uthoff. I'm sort of expecting Jones and Ellingson to shoot a good 3pt%. I could be wrong, but I see Fleming as a real streak shooter at this level, some games on, others off. We don't know about Moss. The other shooters I'm expecting to shoot a 3 to keep the D honest- not to live out there.

Hutton has 3 point range and I believe will be on the court quite a bit, more accurately all over the court quite a bit. Doesn't have Fleming's NBA range , but can hit a 3 at anytime. Moss also has that in his arsenal but Jok's shot looked so much more confident in PTL than at anytime last year... can't wait lots of shooters this year I have confidence in and more just plain athlete's. Both Uhl and Uthoff to me looked much stronger in PTL too.

We need to keep 3 shooters on the floor as much as possible (ie: shoot 3's at 35% or better) in order to keep the right spacing. Gesell, Clemmons (can only shoot the open, catch and shoot version, which isn't good enough imo) and Woodbury don't meet that criteria.

So I think Jok, Jones/Uhl and Uthoff are the obvious pairings here, and if Uhl is our backup Center we'll see a lot of Jones at PF, Uthoff at SF, and Jok at 2G.

Fleming should see a lot of time backing up the 2G and Ellingson can also shoot.

When we only have 1 or 2 "shooters" on the floor, it is so much easier to defend us because the threat of the 3 gives us the lanes to the hoop and most of our points come from one of those two options. Very few come from the post set.

This is why it might be hard to play Hutton a lot of minutes against the best teams, since he'll be taking a shooter off the floor in most cases.
I agree with Dan on this. I would add that if Hutton proves to be a shut-down defender, he might come in to help to slow down an opposing player who is killing us. Otherwise, I think the crowd at the 2-3-4 will probably limit his minutes.

I really like the Higher-scoring set that Gesell, Jok, Uthoff, Uhl/Jones, and Woody could be on the floor. There are just so many different combinations this year that it is going to be interesting.

Hutton has 3 point range and I believe will be on the court quite a bit, more accurately all over the court quite a bit. Doesn't have Fleming's NBA range , but can hit a 3 at anytime. Moss also has that in his arsenal but Jok's shot looked so much more confident in PTL than at anytime last year... can't wait lots of shooters this year I have confidence in and more just plain athlete's. Both Uhl and Uthoff to me looked much stronger in PTL too.
Lots of these new guys have 3pt range. But will they hit a decent percentage (over 33%) this year? History says few will. My guess is that the best new shooters will be Ellingson and Jones. We'll see how consistent Fleming is in prime time. Moss- don't know. IF Hutton hit in the mid-30s% from 3, he'd see significant time on the floor. Keep in mind, I'm just saying this for the 1st year here for these guys.

Game 1 USA ROLLS IN OPENER

Paris, France - USA East Coast used a 17-2 third period run to defeat a talented Paris AMW All Star team 90-72.

- Iowa's Dom Uhl had 14 points and 6 rebounds, including 5 unanswered points and a key offensive rebound and put back, stopping a fourth quarter Parisian run

Uhl - 24 min, 14 pts, 6 reb, 1 ast, 1 blk, 2 stl

Game 2 NATIONAL TEAM OF NIGERIA TOO MUCH FOR EAST COAST

- Iowa's Dom Uhl was solid by helping on the boards and finishing at the rim

- Dom Uhl - 16 min, 5 pts, 3 reb

Game 3 #14 CHINA ESCAPES EAST COAST

- Iowa's Dom Uhl gave China problems on the glass pulling in 10 rebounds, 5 offensive

Dom Uhl - 4pts, 10reb, 1stl

Game 4 TIME RUNS OUT AGAINST CHINA

Treviso, Italy - Playing four games in five days seemed to take its toll on the young American squad Saturday evening as the team went down 20 points with 6:00 left in the contest. USA refused to give up that easily though, led by Iowa's Dom Uhl with a flurry of threes he and the rest of East Coast cut the lead to 6 with 2:20 to play. Following a tough defensive rebound by Maryland's Jared Nickens, Kaleb Joseph found Dusty Hannahs in the corner for a three that went in-and-out, and China's unstoppable force Yi Jianlian grabbed the rebound to seal a 92-84 victory for the Asian power. Jianlian, the #6 pick in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks, finished the contest with 29 points and 9 rebounds.

- Iowa's Dom Uhl was unguardable off of pick and pop action and lead the team on the glass with 9

Dom Uhl - 14pts, 9reb, 1ast, 2blk

Reactions: Ronman and Scott559
More on each game at the USA East Coast face book page.

https://www.facebook.com/USAEastCoast

11792091_1127442223950313_999872936349606222_o.jpg

Very good trip for Uhl. I said awhile back that Uhl could be Aaron White with better handles and a 3PT shot. Looks like he is starting to fill out that scouting report a little bit - love those rebounding totals.

Last edited:
Game 4 TIME RUNS OUT AGAINST CHINA

Treviso, Italy - Playing four games in five days seemed to take its toll on the young American squad Saturday evening as the team went down 20 points with 6:00 left in the contest. USA refused to give up that easily though, led by Iowa's Dom Uhl with a flurry of threes he and the rest of East Coast cut the lead to 6 with 2:20 to play. Following a tough defensive rebound by Maryland's Jared Nickens, Kaleb Joseph found Dusty Hannahs in the corner for a three that went in-and-out, and China's unstoppable force Yi Jianlian grabbed the rebound to seal a 92-84 victory for the Asian power. Jianlian, the #6 pick in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks, finished the contest with 29 points and 9 rebounds.

- Iowa's Dom Uhl was unguardable off of pick and pop action and lead the team on the glass with 9

Dom Uhl - 14pts, 9reb, 1ast, 2blk

Thanks for the info H___it! Much appreciated.

I am liking Uhl's numbers on the boards. We will need those, although the put backs will be needed more, as we should be a better rebounding team as a whole,

Very good trip for Uhl. I said awhile back that Uhl could be Aaron White with better handles and a 3PT shot. Looks like he is starting to fill out that scouting report a little bit - love those rebounding totals.

If he can learn to finish and/or sink some frees, I will be stoked! His overall game has huge potential. Very excited to see Dom on the floor in 90 days.

Definitely thicker and more defined in that pic. Dom U doesn't have to be very good, or even good for Iowa to win. He just needs to be competent next season. It sounds like the summer trip gave the kid some very good experience, albeit up and down, and maybe some confidence as well.

Since Dom is the only experienced front court player not starting he has a leg up but he also has the most competition for PT, which provides a hell of an incentive to work hard. I too cannot wait until the BBall season starts. So many new faces and hope springs eternal...

Definitely thicker and more defined in that pic. Dom U doesn't have to be very good, or even good for Iowa to win. He just needs to be competent next season. It sounds like the summer trip gave the kid some very good experience, albeit up and down, and maybe some confidence as well.

Since Dom is the only experienced front court player not starting he has a leg up but he also has the most competition for PT, which provides a hell of an incentive to work hard. I too cannot wait until the BBall season starts. So many new faces and hope springs eternal...
Thanks for the game summaries for Dom's trip. We mainly need rebounding and defense from Dom, so his rebounding numbers are very good news. I still can't get over how different he looks in just a few months.

Damn, some encouraging performances by Dom. I like him as the first "big" of the bench subbing in for Uthoff and Woody like someone already posted on here. It makes the most sense. Dom could be in line for 25 mins a game, easy.

Don't agree he has the most competition for PT, he can play three spots, 3/4 and even some 5.

I really don't see Jones and especially Wagner as being much competition to take PT away from Dom.

The 2/3 spot is where the minutes will be hard to get.

Its hard to identify who's competing against who with so many that can play multiple spots.

ADVERTISEMENT