ADVERTISEMENT

Don't bother with a portal QB, just move DeJean to the QB room

hawkdave007

HR MVP
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2003
There are probably 2 or 3 quality portal DBs who want to come play on defense for Parker and his system vs zero who want to play on offense for Kirk/Brian in theirs. I think there's no point in trying to sell a QB in the portal to come to Iowa.

Just move Cooper to the QB room - think of it like a company hiring the internal candidate vs going outside the organization. The portal focus can be placed on adding DBs, mainly replacing Cooper and adding depth.

Cooper's already bought in to the "Iowa way" and overall program culture. He's an absolute playmaker and has the respect of his teammates. And don't give me that KF "we'd have to change the offense" crap. This offense scored only 6 passing TDs this entire season, so whatever system were running now isn't worth a lick, and a major change is needed, period.

Bottom line: it's far easier for IOWA to attract 2+ quality DBs from the portal than it is to attract 1 playmaking QB from the portal.

There are probably 2 or 3 quality portal DBs who want to come play on defense for Parker and his system vs zero who want to play on offense for Kirk/Brian in theirs. I think there's no point in trying to sell a QB in the portal to come to Iowa.

Just move Cooper to the QB room - think of it like a company hiring the internal candidate vs going outside the organization. The portal focus can be placed on adding DBs, mainly replacing Cooper and adding depth.

Cooper's already bought in to the "Iowa way" and overall program culture. He's an absolute playmaker and has the respect of his teammates. And don't give me that KF "we'd have to change the offense" crap. This offense scored only 6 passing TDs this entire season, so whatever system were running now isn't worth a lick, and a major change is needed, period.

Bottom line: it's far easier for IOWA to attract 2+ quality DBs from the portal than it is to attract 1 playmaking QB from the portal.
I agree - whatever he can’t throw? That’s BS he would be my first choice to take over QB… all around stud and is fast and quick as hell

RE: DeJean (or anybody else) getting killed with our current OL situation.

How does an "offensive line guru" end up with arguably the worst offensive line in the conference. Don't say injuries and/or attrition. That's not enough to explain the shi* show we watched this fall

Don't think he has the arm strength to play QB in college.

This is a logical idea I like it but his ceiling for the future is at DB. But good critical thinking.

Won't happen give the genius of KF. He won't even try him/DeJean a few plays a game on offense. With all due respect, KF is not real creative😁

I'm sure a guy who is looking at playing on Sundays as a defensive back is just begging the coaches to be a QB so he can make message board posters happy. And no, finding lock down corners is not simple. See the Nebraska game from about the 8 minute mark at the 1st quarter on to see why he is needed at that position.

I'm sure a guy who is looking at playing on Sundays as a defensive back is just begging the coaches to be a QB so he can make message board posters happy. And no, finding lock down corners is not simple. See the Nebraska game from about the 8 minute mark at the 1st quarter on to see why he is needed at that position.
So Dr. Phil, what part exactly is funny? You don't think a freshman being named 1st Team All Big Ten is an indicator that he is on track to play on Sundays? You must have found the humor in the defensive prowess of his replacements this past Saturday? Every time they needed a completion, guess who they attacked? Did you miss that 90 yard touchdown pass? Please share your genius with everyone.

But CDJ would get crunched as a qb and be done after a few games.
Maybe some folks didn't notice, but young Mr. DeJean got clocked in the Nebby game and played about 2 minutes. So those arguing that putting him at QB would be too dangerous might want to reconsider.

As quick and fast as DeJean is, he'd be fabulous at QB running the RPO system that's so prevalent throughout most of college football . . . except, of course, in Iowa City. With Kaleb Johnson at RB, Keegan Johnson at WR, and DeJean at QB . . . I'd actually pay money to see that offense. If I were a Hawkeye football coach, I'd be ecstatic at such a prospect.

Even KF himself admitted a few weeks ago that DeJean is a rare athlete with the skills to do just about anything on the football field. So if even the captain is saying such things in public, you know you can trust your eyes. DeJean is special. If only he could get a chance to prove it as a QB. WOW!

Won't happen give the genius of KF. He won't even try him/DeJean a few plays a game on offense. With all due respect, KF is not real creative😁
I agree KF doesn’t have a creative bone in his body, and often disagree with his decisions. But to move a guy who will be an All-American DB so that he can be maybe OK at QB, makes no sense. I’m with KF on this one, but wish CDJ would get some wildcat opportunities

It is one of my gripes and probably reality about Iowa football. The coaches sold Cooper and other players like him on their ability to get him to the NFL. They know his best position to do that is DB. He might make this team a better team right now if he was playing QB with the current Qb’s that we have and win more games. But that is not the way Kirk does things. Sometimes I wonder if he takes more pride in how many players he puts into NFL than winning Championships. I really don’t care how many go to NFL. As a fan I’d like to win the Big ten once in awhile. But they make promises and develop guys to make money and that’s how they get more players.

This would be a really dumb move for Cooper. He has a chance to play DB in the NFL and/or return kicks. He could be successful at Iowa at QB if they used him properly, but the passing game would be less than it even currently is and he’d have no shot at the NFL.

Yes it would be a dumb move for Cooper. But it still is a team sport, I think. Doesn’t matter . It’s not going to happen. It’s the Coaching staff’s job to find a QB who can play or develop a current one that can survive our OL and be at least mediocre .

Maybe a jump pass, every once in awhile too, by a safety that wasn’t recruited by anyone to play qb. Good grief.

th

• Haha
Reactions: cleotishaywood
We need a better offensive line. Putting DeJean behind the current line would just get DeJean knocked out for good with concussions.
Bad offensive system to try and utilize CDJ skills.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT