ADVERTISEMENT

Don't get hopes up...

HawkHoops80

HR All-American
Mar 20, 2022

Iowa's in communication with new transfer portal guy. 6'7 Forward who's a 6th year grad transfer. If you don't know, LIU just fired their coach yesterday meaning any waiver that's needed will be granted for immediate eligibility. Eldridge is following on Twitter.

Iowa's in communication with new transfer portal guy. 6'7 Forward who's a 6th year grad transfer. If you don't know, LIU just fired their coach yesterday meaning any waiver that's needed will be granted for immediate eligibility. Eldridge is following on Twitter.

So Kris doesnt want to play the 5 and will log 30 mins a game at the 4, P Mac slotted in at the 3, Sandfort might be our best scorer and will likely play 2-4 off the bench, Connor another probable bench player at 2-4. Where and when are they gonna play this guy?

So Kris doesnt want to play the 5 and will log 30 mins a game at the 4, P Mac slotted in at the 3, Sandfort might be our best scorer and will likely play 2-4 off the bench, Connor another probable bench player at 2-4. Where and when are they gonna play this guy?

If you assume Rebraca will play mainly the 5, you get the following as likely minutes at 3-4

Kris - 25 (will likely be the "5" a few mpg)
Pat - 25
PS - 10 (will get another 10 as "2")

That leaves 30 mpg at the 3/4. It would be easy to find 20-25 for him...assuming he has the talent to play that much in the B1G. He might just be quality enough to log 10-15 backing up 3 positions.

And FTR, I'm all on board with getting as much talent as possible and find ways to use that talent.

Life is easier when you accept positions in basketball don't really mean anything anymore

Yeah makes zero sense

If you assume Rebraca will play mainly the 5, you get the following as likely minutes at 3-4

Pat - 25

That leaves 30 mpg at the 3/4. It would be easy to find 20-25 for him...assuming he has the talent to play that much in the B1G. He might just be quality enough to log 10-15 backing up 3 positions.

And FTR, I'm all on board with getting as much talent as possible and find ways to use that talent.
Sandfort can't play the 2 effectively imo, but would love to be proven wrong.

We already have Patrick and Sandfort fighting for minutes without adding another guy. Clearly Iowa sees a fit somehow or they wouldn't be working him, but it's not obvious to me. Patrick is probably more capable of playing the 2 than Sandfort due to his ball handling skills and slightly better ability to guard that position (although neither would be great).

Kris will ikely get 30-35 mpg not 25 mpg.

PG: Bowen 25 mpg; Ulis 15 mpg
SG: Perkins 25 mpg; Dix 10 mpg; Patrick 5 mpg
SF: Patrick 20 mpg; Sandfort 20 mpg;
PF: Kris 30 mpg; Connor 10 mpg
C: Rebraca 20 mpg; Mulvey 15 mpg; Kris 5 mpg

There isn't much room for him UNLESS Connor isn't playing. I don't see him playing over Sandfort or Connor if he is here.

If Dix isn't ready (he should be imo) then Patrick or Ulis may have to play some 2 although Perkins can handle 30 mpg if needed. I still don't see where we get enough minutes to get this guy here unless Connor's situation is up in the air or Kris plays 15 mpg at Center at the expense of Mulvey.

We already have Patrick and Sandfort fighting for minutes without adding another guy. Clearly Iowa sees a fit somehow or they wouldn't be working him, but it's not obvious to me. Patrick is probably more capable of playing the 2 than Sandfort due to his ball handling skills and slightly better ability to guard that position (although neither would be great).

There isn't much room for him UNLESS Connor isn't playing. I don't see him playing over Sandfort or Connor if he is here.

If Dix isn't ready (he should be imo) then Patrick or Ulis may have to play some 2 although Perkins can handle 30 mpg if needed. I still don't see where we get enough minutes to get this guy here unless Connor's situation is up in the air or Kris plays 15 mpg at Center at the expense of Mulvey.

I think we could see Perkins at PG with Patrick, Sandfort, Kris, and Rebraca. But like you, I still don't see where there's minutes for this guy.

I mean, they wouldn't bring him into start. He'd be a depth piece here--and maybe a good one at that.
We have 2 open scholarships and he's a 6th year senior. There literally is no downside to kicking the tires here to see what he's got. If he's good enough to play, there may be 10-15 minutes a game to be had. If he's looking for more minutes, he could very well end up at a mid-major. UCLA isn't exactly low on talent at the forward position either.

Perkins,Sanfort,PMac,Kris, and Penn would be a solid starting lineup. Smaller but could get up and down the court. Rebraca, Ulis, Bowen, CMac, and Mulvey the next 5.

Perkins,Sanfort,PMac,Kris, and Penn would be a solid starting lineup. Smaller but could get up and down the court. Rebraca, Ulis, Bowen, CMac, and Mulvey the next 5.
I'm all for playing small, but Filip got tossed around at times early in the season at 6'9 230. Penn is listed at 6'7 185. That's probably not going to happen for him to play the 5

Wouldn't count Hawks out so quickly on this one. NIL now in motion for the Hawks. Definitely could use Penn on the glass

I'm not saying Kris will only get 25 mpg, he'll probably end up around 30-32. But at times he'll be the 5, especially if they go, say (example), DB, TP, PS, PMac and KM. In that, Kris is the 5. And yes, I can absolutely see that lineup getting a few mpg together.

And yes, I think Kris is the only player that will get 30 or more mpg. Keep in mind, I'm not saying they "should" get him. Just that there's room if they do. Nice thing about 6'7 combo forwards...you can play 2/3/4 of them at the same time.

I'm all for playing small, but Filip got tossed around at times early in the season at 6'9 230. Penn is listed at 6'7 185. That's probably not going to happen for him to play the 5

Yeah, I wouldn't expect Penn to play the 5 in the B1G. And I don't see him starting if he did come. But 15-18 mpg off the bench at the 3/4? Yep. There's room for him to do that.

I wouldn't say he's a need, just that he'd fit.

Another reason why this may be a good fit--LIU is one of the most up-tempo offenses in the country. Iowa's scheme is likely the most comparable to LIU's than any other team on this list.

Filip was really solid and rebounded very well the last 25% of the season. It did take him a little while to figure things out. I expect him to pick up where he left off.

Filip was really solid and rebounded very well the last 25% of the season. It did take him a little while to figure things out. I expect him to pick up where he left off.
Agreed, I think we'll see improved offense from him too--some interviews I've read have teammates saying his jumpshot has really been looking good this offseason.

Life is easier when you accept positions in basketball don't really mean anything anymore

Except positions exist. We just have some guys who can play multiple. This guy isnt going to play point guard or center, clearly.

Reactions: amahawk
I mean, they wouldn't bring him into start. He'd be a depth piece here--and maybe a good one at that.
We have 2 open scholarships and he's a 6th year senior. There literally is no downside to kicking the tires here to see what he's got. If he's good enough to play, there may be 10-15 minutes a game to be had. If he's looking for more minutes, he could very well end up at a mid-major. UCLA isn't exactly low on talent at the forward position either.

Fair enough. If he wants to play meaningful basketball, he should look else where. It would definitely be a nice depth piece to fill out the roster.

Agreed. I dont see Sandfort as a 2 either, but i know if i didnt include the position, people would say he can play the 2 so i gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: DanHawkPella
No, im saying what does it matter if we have 4 wings and a PG? Why do we have to play a center?

It helps with rebounding and rim protection. Even if the guy isnt a shot blocker, he can wall off defenders better. Im fine with playing 4 wings, but someone is going to have to play in the paint at least on defense. Kris said he doesnt want to do that much this year.

It helps with rebounding and rim protection. Even if the guy isnt a shot blocker, he can wall off defenders better. Im fine with playing 4 wings, but someone is going to have to play in the paint at least on defense. Kris said he doesnt want to do that much this year.
Respect your opinion.. i just feel the matchup problems we face would be outweighed with the matchup problems we'd present in this day in age of bball. Go hawks!

Reactions: SSG T

Pat - 25

Correct me if I am wrong....

80 minutes total available at the 3 and 4
60 minutes for Kris, Pat & Payton (what you allocated)
---------------------------------------------------
20 minutes left at the 3 and 4 (not 30 minutes)

Anyway, I am not holding my breath on him committing to Iowa.

185 lbs seems pretty blatantly wrong based on limited video. Not a tank, but probably more between 210ish. LIU’s site doesn’t actually list weights so I’m going to assume that ESPN just uses whatever weight he was coming in and didn’t update from there.

Randomly has games where he went 8/12, 5/8 from three but still shot around 30% there. Didn’t shoot a lot from three before this year. LIU had some size this year so he played the 3. Good block rate numbers for a wing.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
Somebody has to guard the opposing Big/post player.
The whole reason to play small is because of the offensive mismatches it creates. Forcing Edey to guard Kris basically forces Purdue to either go zone or get torched by Kris pulling Edey out to the 3 point line. Then on defense you front and double--Joe T was a master at the dig/double in the championship game.
The biggest issue is preventing offensive boards when you go to a lineup like that. Gotta have good fundamental box outs when you go small.

Riley is going to surprise a lot of people this year. We will have depth against the big centers. We go small we have Filip for center. There will be 80 minutes to play the forwards. Right now there are four. The first three are Kris, Patrick and Payton will play most of those. Connor's minutes get distributed all over four positions but some of his minutes will be out of those 80. Same thing at the guards. Ahron and Dasonte provide 2 point guards, and big questions exist about both, and Tony is the only known player that can guard 2s, at least not for long stretches. That leaves a kid that may not be able to play for more than a few minutes, who might be so athletically impaired he cannot really play much defense. Now Connor can cover a lot of minutes at the 2 but I'd still like the portal to produce a good shooter than at least isn't a defensive liability.

Correct me if I am wrong....

80 minutes total available at the 3 and 4
60 minutes for Kris, Pat & Payton (what you allocated)
---------------------------------------------------
20 minutes left at the 3 and 4 (not 30 minutes)

Anyway, I am not holding my breath on him committing to Iowa.

Your right, not sure how I did that.

Point being, there's room for an experienced wing/stretch 4. Especially considering both Kris and Filip have shown to be foul prone at times.

No, im saying what does it matter if we have 4 wings and a PG? Why do we have to play a center?

I will continue to maintain it's not so much positions that are important as the related, associated skills. Ball handlers, shooters, wings, bigs. Get as many guys as possible with multiple skills, then fill out with specifics.

And I'd be fine with a ball handler, a shooter and multiple wings on the court together as much as possible considering talent/skill.

We can spin it a number of ways, but facts are we’ve lost the #4 player to the NBA, the number 1 assist and 3 point scorer in Iowa’s history. We are banking on two non starters,a true freshman point guard, and we have open scholarships,.

Now we’re too talented to give this guy a chance to earn minutes? At some point we need to get real or the fans will put such unrealistic expectations on the team we can expect to get a 500 type team. IMO.

Reactions: Hans81
The whole reason to play small is because of the offensive mismatches it creates. Forcing Edey to guard Kris basically forces Purdue to either go zone or get torched by Kris pulling Edey out to the 3 point line. Then on defense you front and double--Joe T was a master at the dig/double in the championship game.
The biggest issue is preventing offensive boards when you go to a lineup like that. Gotta have good fundamental box outs when you go small.

Sure small ball is great, but you better have a lot of depth for whomever guards the post. Refs call a lot of fouls in post play in college ball. Kris is too good a player to have hims sitting on bench because he picks ups cheap fouls guarding an opposing big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT