ADVERTISEMENT

DOT officials moving forward with plans to reconfigure the I-80 / 1st Avenue interchange in Coralville.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
As the I-80 / I-380 interchange work continues, DOT officials are moving forward with another large project in the Iowa City area. Note that both spans of 1st will be removed and replaced, and some fancy new interchange that most Iowans have never seen will replace the current configuration. Let's face it, we have a lot of problems with roundabouts.
The projected costs seem low for the level of work being done.
https://www.thegazette.com/news/big...interchange-at-i-80-first-avenue-next-spring/

Reactions: GOHOX69
This design is subject of a lawsuit in Des Moines https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...h-susan-farrell-diverging-diamond/9764543002/

Note: I agree with the DOT that they overall are safer than a traditional diamond interchange.
Not to go all gun debate here, but the interchange design didn't kill people:

Beary also died. He was driving more than 100 mph on I-80 and had a blood alcohol level nearly triple the legal limit for intoxication, investigators determined.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Just drove through one of these designs in Springfield MO for the first time this past weekend. It felt odd driving on the "wrong" side but it seemed to flow very well.

What are they doing right now around the Herbert Hoover exit, and a bit east of that? Are they widening the interstate there? I noticed a lot of work off to the side of the interstate.

What are they doing right now around the Herbert Hoover exit, and a bit east of that? Are they widening the interstate there? I noticed a lot of work off to the side of the interstate.
Yeah, I saw that. Just chewed up hundreds of feet of fields. I can only assume it’s going to be three lanes from I-380 to West Branch, and they need the space for new ramps.

Problems with roundabouts?
Coralville likes to remove perfectly working 4-way stops and put in roundabouts with drivers who have no clue how to actually use them. It's like an accident waiting to happen!

ADVERTISEMENT