ADVERTISEMENT

Double B1G opponents announced

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Per Jon Rothstein

Play 2x: Indiana, Michigan, OSU, Penn State, and Minnesota

I like it. Will really sort out the middle and avoid playing the dogs like Neb and Rutgers twice while avoiding MSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, and NW twice.

Last edited:
IMO this is the year Wisc will fall back in the pack.

Per Jon Rothstein

I like it. Will really sort out the middle and avoid playing the dogs like Neb and Rutgers twice while avoiding MSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, and NW twice.

I guess they were waiting for me to tell them what to do. :) Although I only got three right, and I still have to figure out how and why they skipped Northwestern and Wisconsin...unless I'm wrong but seems like it'll be three years only playing them once?

It is! It's gonna be three years in a row that we only play Northwestern and Wisconsin once! That's BS. The Big Ten has NOT stuck to their deal. If I wasn't so happy about the schedule I'd be mad.

Just keep in mind...we have played Michigan State at their place, and twice....it's OUR turn to have them at home. If the Big Ten screws with that I will still be mad. It's already not fair to somebody! I wanted two shots at Wisconsin and was looking forward to it. Yeah, it's OK we got Indiana instead but we shouldn't have.

I kind of figured they would put tv scheduling above fairness...makes the Big Ten regular season championship even more meaningless.

Last edited:
Reactions: TazKB
Per Jon Rothstein

Now watch, we will play N'w, MSU, Wisc and MD all on the road and Purdue, Nebby, Rutgers and Illinois at home!

Where we play those 1x games is important, of course.

Now watch, we will play N'w, MSU, Wisc and MD all on the road and Purdue, Nebby, Rutgers and Illinois at home!

Last year single game locations for teams we play once this season:

Away:
Michigan State
Northwestern
Wisconsin

That's it! We'd BETTER play those teams at home! The Big Ten has screwed up the deal they made to begin with.

Away:
Michigan State
Northwestern
Wisconsin

That's it! We'd BETTER play those teams at home! The Big Ten has screwed up the deal they made to begin with.

Boy, wouldn't that be sweet to get MSU, N'w, and Wisky all at home? Like you said, it should happen....

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Boy, wouldn't that be sweet to get MSU, N'w, and Wisky all at home? Like you said, it should happen....

Yup. That's the FAIR way to do it. But apparently fair went out the window in favor of television ratings. Can't even get home and away games done right in the conference! Twice in a row we got Purdue....and now they skip Northwestern and Wisconsin back to backs for three years?

If anybody thinks we have a level playing field...we DON'T. Not only does the Big Ten decide who to promote on television...and it aint us...but now it's obvious they make the schedule to promote certain teams as well. If we don't get our turn at home games with the three teams I mentioned...it will be an absolute rip off.

Away:
Michigan State
Northwestern
Wisconsin

If we get this group at home, hell ya! The schedule would set up very well for us. The B10 will be good top to bottom but this would be pretty sweet.

If we get this group at home, hell ya! The schedule would set up very well for us. The B10 will be good top to bottom but this would be pretty sweet.

It's our right in a fair scheduling format to NOT play away games twice in a row with an opponent. But looking back to the other five teams...two years ago:

Home (so we should play them away)
Nebraska

Away (so we should play them at home)
Illinois
Maryland
Rutgers

Twice both times:
Purdue

So it's obvious the Big Ten has completely screwed this up. THEY LIED. But at least with these five there was a season (or two) of back to back in between. But does that matter, does anything matter anymore? I don't know.

This isn't smell a rat situation. It's a rat sitting right on one's lap and flipping one off. I mean, yeah, I like the looks of the back to back games. But I hate how they can just do whatever they want now. I hate it because in the end I know it will end up screwing us worse as they pick the best match ups for television rankings.

They'd BETTER not make us play one time, two years in a row, both away games, against Michigan State, Northwestern, Wisconsin. Or I'll...yeah, crud...I'll what?

The only FAIR schedule that teams all have the same equal opportunity is if they add more teams and play every team once or drop some teams and play every team home and away every season. What do you think Iowa's W/L record would be if they did either?

OR....2 divisions...

B1G East
Rutgers
Maryland
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana

B1G West
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska

Play each division school twice every year home & away = 12 games
Play each other division school once (3 home 4 away) one year then 4 home 3 away the next = 7 games
total 19 games..

They'll be adding a couple schools soon.

Lordy I hope not. Teams are already losing their identities. Adding more teams will certainly water it down more. And the more teams they add, the more Delaney has to promote fewer schools to keep the identity of the B1G....

I don't want people not knowing Iowa, or thinking the wrong thing... Iowa? Aren't they in the Big Twelve?? People already think we grow potatoes. Enough of the expansion BS... Besides we'll just end up splitting the same money with more schools.

Looks like a reasonably favorable draw given the expected status of the rest of the league.

Lordy I hope not. Teams are already losing their identities. Adding more teams will certainly water it down more. And the more teams they add, the more Delaney has to promote fewer schools to keep the identity of the B1G....

I don't want people not knowing Iowa, or thinking the wrong thing... Iowa? Aren't they in the Big Twelve?? People already think we grow potatoes. Enough of the expansion BS... Besides we'll just end up splitting the same money with more schools.

Yeah, especially when they are so determined to move east that the University of Oxford will probably be one of them. (sarcasm alert for the impaired)

It appears we got a good draw, however that gives us less chances to get quality wins. Michigan and Minnesota are probably the only two NCAA tournament teams in the group.
True but a loss to OSU for example shouldn't hurt as bad as one to Rutgers either. Good middle of the road B1G competition.

It is all about money. I wish I could say that the league tries to make it fair, but I have a hard time believing that.

It's our right in a fair scheduling format to NOT play away games twice in a row with an opponent. But looking back to the other five teams...two years ago:

Home (so we should play them away)
Nebraska

Away (so we should play them at home)
Illinois
Maryland
Rutgers

Twice both times:
Purdue

So it's obvious the Big Ten has completely screwed this up. THEY LIED. But at least with these five there was a season (or two) of back to back in between. But does that matter, does anything matter anymore? I don't know.

This isn't smell a rat situation. It's a rat sitting right on one's lap and flipping one off. I mean, yeah, I like the looks of the back to back games. But I hate how they can just do whatever they want now. I hate it because in the end I know it will end up screwing us worse as they pick the best match ups for television rankings.

They'd BETTER not make us play one time, two years in a row, both away games, against Michigan State, Northwestern, Wisconsin. Or I'll...yeah, crud...I'll what?

Can't recall an instance in BB but in happens in FB.

Cmon, who do you know, Thats a knowledgeable fan, or talking head who things Iowa is in the big twelve. I know that Iowa is not one of the mega name schools, but this,(woe is us, no one knows who we are deal), is pretty old. Iowa is not as invisible as some people make us out to be. Hell even negative pub, like the bowl games, or when they were saying that the Hawks didn't belong in the Playoff, puts Iowa on the map. How many weeks did they talk about Iowa leading up to and following the BIG championship against MSU?

Yeah, especially when they are so determined to move east that the University of Oxford will probably be one of them. (sarcasm alert for the impaired)

I am completely fine where we are at. What benefit would there be to growing? Not much on an individual school basis. And the last of the big $$ contracts have been given out. ESPN is losing their shirts. They won't be able to give anymore. So, why split it with even more schools?

The B1G has a good name. BTN is the only successful conference network. And we got the last of the big TV contracts. Especially with Disney/ESPN losing millions of subscribers. They are hurting bigtime. Who is going to be able to pay for these big TV contracts in the future? It will be interesting to see. But I can guarantee you that the money has peaked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT