ADVERTISEMENT

Dow falls more than 400 points in sixth-straight daily decline, S&P 500 hits new 2022 low

Hondo_11

HR All-State
Mar 15, 2022
The S & P trend line in this article > https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/11/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html shows how the Trump economy/market, had emerged handsomely from the COVID dive in March, 2020. Look further to see the market's trend/health when the baton was passed to the dope-on-a-rope and his hoe in late Jan., 2021. The stock market always leads the economy...so take a good look at the 12 months.......

There is a target of 3868 on the SPX using a descending triangle. It hit a few minutes ago. Also it can be an Elliott Wave target. Let's see if we can come up out of here.

I'm sure all of you stock market heroes will share with us now when you will step forward to catch this falling knife.
What does hero have to do with anything? I've bought nothing but energy stocks since this fool was elected and have and will continue to do so.

MAGA 2.0 is to blame.
This is 2 decades of overvaluing of risk assets due to cheap debt. Just look at the buffet indicator. Still plenty of room to go down. First hold will be the 16 PE ratio on the S&P at 3500 to 3600, I am 50/50 on whether this holds. This should occur end of may to early June.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
veterans of previous bloodbaths— please advise on reasonable way (either qualitative/feel or quantitative) to determine when most if not all falling knives have been snagged

veterans of previous bloodbaths— please advise on reasonable way (either qualitative/feel or quantitative) to determine when most if not all falling knives have been snagged

Not a single person can tell you this. Unfortunately, we have yet to see panic selling.

Reactions: desihawk
bear-bye-bear.gif

Reactions: goldmom
I have been trying to pay attention to learn more. 31250 right now.

I have never claimed to be a financial guru but the lesson I have learned over the last 12 months is to borrow money when it is cheap and buy good assets to sell when it isn't. I just got lucky as shit we bought our "forever home" @3.625 fixed 30.

Reactions: goldmom and srams21
I have been trying to pay attention to learn more. 31250 right now.

I have never claimed to be a financial guru but the lesson I have learned over the last 12 months is to borrow money when it is cheap and buy good assets to sell when it isn't. I just got lucky as shit we bought our "forever home" @3.625 fixed 30.

Quick lesson for you. Don't focus on the DOW, focus on the S and P 500.

It feels like the market is starting to signal a recession to. Bond yields have been falling this week (which is unexpected into inflation) and stocks plunging. Something is wrong. Our sanctions on Russia might be about to hit the global economy.

OK, I'll take any advice I can get. What's the difference and why the s&p?

The Dow is an index of 30 companies. I will let you take a guess at how many the S and P 500 is made of. Also, the DOW is somewhat more of a value component while the Nasdaq is more of the growth. The S and P is more of a blend so it tells you a little more of what the broader markets are doing. Dow is down about 13% right now, Nasdaq about 30% and S and P is about 20% down.

The Dow is an index of 30 companies. I will let you take a guess at how many the S and P 500 is made of. Also, the DOW is somewhat more of a value component while the Nasdaq is more of the growth. The S and P is more of a blend so it tells you a little more of what the broader markets are doing. Dow is down about 13% right now, Nasdaq about 30% and S and P is about 20% down.
Can we make it multiple choice? Jokes aside thank you.

Makes sense. More data points going in paints a more accurate picture.

What do you mean value vs growth?

Some of us have taken a six figure hit on our 401’s. 😒
Thank God I am able to get by on SS and pension $
I adjusted mine to conservative allocation because I thought omicron was going to tank things due to overreacting. I was wrong on omicron, but had left it at conservative thank goodness.

Reactions: Hondo_11
There is no clear indicator, but what I've found very accurate is going against sentiment. Think about it: if the fear is high, everyone that's getting out is out? Look here > https://www.cnn.com/markets/fear-and-greed I wish I had time to post this yesterday when you asked, because the market bounced hard shortly after and looks strong in pre-market trading, so basically the extremely high level of fear called this bounce....however long it lasts. They changed the look of the top chart [Total Fear vs. Greed] so it's harder to follow, but it definitely called the the covid drop as "Greed" was at record highs right before the market turned. Same when the market turned around and moved back up with "fear." The trends here would signal it's time to do some gentle buying....but with what's in DC these days....who knows.....

Reactions: desihawk
I’m probably a big dummy but I’m
Just gonna ride it out. I won’t retire for another 30 years so I gots the time to buy that dip

Brag? 🤣 You think anyone "brags" about losing $100k--on paper anyway? Before the idiot on a stick is done....there will be much more "bragging"......
If you lose 100k....it probably means your 401k had a sizeable amount in it...hence the "subtle brag".

• Haha
Can we make it multiple choice? Jokes aside thank you.

Makes sense. More data points going in paints a more accurate picture.

What do you mean value vs growth?

High growth stocks trade at higher P/E ratios and low to no dividends. Value stocks are the opposite. Think ibm versus Amazon.

value stocks are boring. Growth stocks are not.

Last edited:
If you are not in a position to sit drops like is out without selling, you need to take a look at how you’re invested.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
I’m probably a big dummy but I’m
Just gonna ride it out. I won’t retire for another 30 years so I gots the time to buy that dip

No. That would actually make you really smart. Anyone selling now is a fool.

I usually buy a little Apple st every month. I thought about buying more on this dip but I think I will hold onto my cash and just buy what I usually do.

I refuse to look into my 401k performance.

my retirement target is 4-5 years out. I am not worried. I figured there would be a huge dip before retirement. I just hope this is it.

The S & P trend line in this article > https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/11/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html shows how the Trump economy/market, had emerged handsomely from the COVID dive in March, 2020. Look further to see the market's trend/health when the baton was passed to the dope-on-a-rope and his hoe in late Jan., 2021. The stock market always leads the economy...so take a good look at the 12 months.......
Thread has not gone as planned for OP. Hate to see it, especially for a piece of trash who calls the Vice President a "hoe."

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT