ADVERTISEMENT

Dowling vs City JV game canceled after "tense" varsity game.......

Dec 14, 2002
....per Keith Murphy.

City coach blames the officials for letting it get out of hand, but I watched City play Liberty early this year and thought they really pushed the envelope (late hits, taunting, roughness, etc) - borderline unsportsmanlike as a team. I talked to a City guy at the tailgate Saturday and he expressed some concern that the team was overly aggressive.....maybe not the best choice of words, but I knew what he meant. I haven't seen Dowling play and don't have any contacts on that side. Other than knowing they've been good for a long time.....

Anyone attend the game?

Went to a city game a few weeks ago and they had 3 or 4 unsportsmanlike penalties.

Watched a little bit of the Dowling game. When I was watching the Kueter kid had one of the most ridiculous late hits I’ve ever seen. Never saw a team talk so much shit as City, while having their asses handed to them

Reactions: rolfey
My City connection is a teacher there and I got the sense he was embarrassed by the football team's behavior......

Should make for an interesting game Friday night at West.....

I watched it on live stream on YouTube Friday night and the Kueter penalty was egregious, no excuse for that but I do understand his growing frustration. IC High has made a lot of unsportsmanlike penalties since the new coach took over, he needs to address it or this will only continue.

Game is here if anyone is interested. Nothing much in the 1st half. I think one PF per team.....City hit their QB late and Dowling hit the City kid out of bounds....neither too egregious. Dowling lineman was ejected for a minor skirmish after a play.

Things take a bit of a turn at the end of the third (27-0) Dowling. At the end of the third Kueter tackles a kid and intentionally (clearly) continues rolling to twist his ankle (2:40:00 ish mark). Kid is helped off by Dowling staff. Several City kids drop on fairly routine plays. Announcers keep mentioning "extra curriculars" and talking, but I'm not seeing much on the replay (I'm skipping ahead quite a bit though, so I might be missing something.....

Game is here if anyone is interested. Nothing much in the 1st half. I think one PF per team.....City hit their QB late and Dowling hit the City kid out of bounds....neither too egregious. Dowling lineman was ejected for a minor skirmish after a play.

Things take a bit of a turn at the end of the third (27-0) Dowling. At the end of the third Kueter tackles a kid and intentionally (clearly) continues rolling to twist his ankle (2:40:00 ish mark). Kid is helped off by Dowling staff. Several City kids drop on fairly routine plays. Announcers keep mentioning "extra curriculars" and talking, but I'm not seeing much on the replay (I'm skipping ahead quite a bit though, so I might be missing something.....
nothing to see here folks move along

it's football, it's up to the refs to police what is going on during the game. don't blame the kids for "being too aggressive"

they give out flags for that stuff you know

nothing to see here folks move along

it's football, it's up to the refs to police what is going on during the game. don't blame the kids for "being too aggressive"

they give out flags for that stuff you know
Here is the link:

The play in question starts at 2:39:50. This isn't "too aggressive" - this illustrates the definition of cheap....twisting a guy's knee/ankle after the runner is stopped........

I watched it on live stream on YouTube Friday night and the Kueter penalty was egregious, no excuse for that but I do understand his growing frustration. IC High has made a lot of unsportsmanlike penalties since the new coach took over, he needs to address it or this will only continue.

If you ask people in Iowa City, even those with kids there, many will tell you Moore and his coaching staff are the cause of the penalties.

Dowling in City High were involved in the ridiculous shoving match in the boys 800m at the state track meet. Seems to be a lot of bad blood here.

Dowling in City High were involved in the ridiculous shoving match in the boys 800m at the state track meet. Seems to be a lot of bad blood here.
The kids from Dowling deserved to get punched. He should have been disqualified as well but the state has a love affair going on with Dowling. The city high kid retaliated and deserved to be disqualified but everything is on video. The Dowling kid is a punk

....per Keith Murphy.

City coach blames the officials for letting it get out of hand, but I watched City play Liberty early this year and thought they really pushed the envelope (late hits, taunting, roughness, etc) - borderline unsportsmanlike as a team. I talked to a City guy at the tailgate Saturday and he expressed some concern that the team was overly aggressive.....maybe not the best choice of words, but I knew what he meant. I haven't seen Dowling play and don't have any contacts on that side. Other than knowing they've been good for a long time.....

Anyone attend the game?
City played like a bunch of punks in that game against Liberty.

Reactions: rolfey

The leg twist at the play queued up here is pretty bad...

....per Keith Murphy.

Anyone attend the game?
I am not a supporter of them or a fan, but obviously, Dowling has been really good for a long time. They do not stand out to me as being a cheap or classless team. This seems like a City High problem, although I suppose this Dowling team could be problematic as well.

I haven't read every post, but I appreciate that Sportsmom has addressed a few things. I did hear today that City has video of Ben getting punched/grabbed in his genitals. That video has been forwarded. I was told by someone directly involved that multiple times a Dowling player spit in Ben's face. Not spittle flying while yelling, but a full on spitting into his face. I was told there was some racial taunting directed in particular at City High's Tono Cornell. All throughout that game the officials were negligent in keeping things settled down, and in particular in the events that led to the Dowling player being ejected.
Beyond that there is a lot of frustration from people at City that there has been no real response. There were multiple meetings early on and the decision was made that for Ben's best interests there would be no response. That was a top down decision from the administration. A lot of people think Ben isn't being supported by the administration, that they are blocking Ben and staff from addressing the situation, and that a lot of this has been driven by a few Dowling parents. Things go viral, but there seems to have been a genesis for it. None of the folks complaining about Ben care to comment about the punch that led to the Dowling player being ejected. I have been told that Ben is being affected by this greatly, and that's a shame to see adults driving such anger at a kid. A great kid, who does amazing things. He is unfortunately learning what it's like to always have a target on your back. In case some of you didn't know, City and West play this week, and I have no doubt that there will be a lot of heat directed at Ben by West students, and by parents who cannot control themselves.
Personally I see some gray area on that play in that it took awhile to develop, and Ben came in from well off the play, and from a side angle. Whatever happened, it is being addressed, and it could have been addressed much better in private.

This is what I was going to post in the thread in the Lounge, but that one has been locked down.
@Sportsmomof3

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT