ADVERTISEMENT

Down goes MSU

I think all Big 10 schools will go to online so there isn’t the appearance of hypocrisy of having kids together in class but not on the field.

I think all Big 10 schools will go to online so there isn’t the appearance of hypocrisy of having kids together in class but not on the field.

I think you are wrong. Nobody worked harder to prepare for students than President Daniels. I do not think Purdue is going to cut and run at the first sign of trouble. West Lafayette passed a mandatory mask law with a hefty fine and everyone is complying. I am not saying they will not surrender but “Protect Purdue” has been drummed into the record 8,000 plus freshmen class. They have spent tens of millions in reshaping every aspect of university life from dorms to classrooms to dining facilities facilities. All bars and restaurants in the county have curfews and limitations on capacity.

I’m guessing they were a “no” vote.
This might be a clue, an excerpt of his bio on the MSU website:

"Born in Seattle, Dr. Stanley earned a Bachelor of Arts in biological sciences (Phi Beta Kappa) from the University of Chicago. After earning his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in 1980, he completed resident-physician training at Massachusetts General Hospital and then went to Washington University in St. Louis in 1983 for a School of Medicine fellowship in infectious diseases. There, he became a professor in the departments of both medicine and molecular microbiology in recognition of the collaborative nature of his research.

A distinguished biomedical researcher, Dr. Stanley was one of the nation’s top recipients of support from the National Institutes of Health for his research focusing on enhanced defense against emerging infectious diseases. He is an expert in the biological mechanisms that cells employ when responding to infectious agents, such as parasites, bacteria and viruses — a process known as the inflammatory response."

I think you are wrong. Nobody worked harder to prepare for students than President Daniels. I do not think Purdue is going to cut and run at the first sign of trouble. West Lafayette passed a mandatory mask law with a hefty fine and everyone is complying. I am not saying they will not surrender but “Protect Purdue” has been drummed into the record 8,000 plus freshmen class. They have spent tens of millions in reshaping every aspect of university life from dorms to classrooms to dining facilities facilities. All bars and restaurants in the county have curfews and limitations on capacity.
Sounds like a lot of people that actually care!!

Reactions: not_mantiteo
...and for those who think the B10 presidents' decision to cancel Fall sports was part of some kind of leftist plot, Purdue President Daniels is Mitch Daniels, former chief political advisor to President Ronald Regan, Director of Office of Management and Budget under President George H.W.Bush, and two term Republican governor of Indiana from 2005 to 2013. He is part of the plot.

"Born in Seattle, Dr. Stanley earned a Bachelor of Arts in biological sciences (Phi Beta Kappa) from the University of Chicago. After earning his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in 1980, he completed resident-physician training at Massachusetts General Hospital and then went to Washington University in St. Louis in 1983 for a School of Medicine fellowship in infectious diseases. There, he became a professor in the departments of both medicine and molecular microbiology in recognition of the collaborative nature of his research.

A distinguished biomedical researcher, Dr. Stanley was one of the nation’s top recipients of support from the National Institutes of Health for his research focusing on enhanced defense against emerging infectious diseases. He is an expert in the biological mechanisms that cells employ when responding to infectious agents, such as parasites, bacteria and viruses — a process known as the inflammatory response."
So what you’re saying is he’s a liberal snowflake who pretends to understand nature...

(am I doing this right?)

I don’t think it is anywhere near hypocrisy for a school to cancel games with a ball but continue to try to have classes.

I mean I love my Hawkeyes and I’m bummed about the season, but let’s be real about the actual purpose of a university.

Do you think MSU will be offering a substantial tuition discount because they are only having on line courses?
We'll see but I really doubt it......

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I don’t think it is anywhere near hypocrisy for a school to cancel games with a ball but continue to try to have classes.

I mean I love my Hawkeyes and I’m bummed about the season, but let’s be real about the actual purpose of a university.
The in person class is a lot less safe then the sport with the ball. Take at look at Oklahoma.

Do you think MSU will be offering a substantial tuition discount because they are only having on line courses?

whywould they offer discount.? The tuition cost has always been same whether inperson or online

Reactions: anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt
whywould they offer discount.? The tuition cost has always been same whether inperson or online

Because in-person school will ALWAYS be better than online education. These students are paying a premium for a B1G university educational experience PLUS university facilities, which are now removed/dimished.

I'd be demanding a discount. If the school can change the product so drastically after you pay for it, you can demand an appropriate price for the diminished product you are receiving.

Doubt the universities will discount though.

You don't know that.
Yes I do. Football team is tested constantly and stays primarily at the football facility. You test positive they quarantine you. Now do a lecture hall with nobody being tested...... for the students football or not it really doesn’t matter anyway as they are more likely to die in a car accident on the way to class then from the Rona assuming they are under 24.

The largest expense for public universities are salaries. Who is going to pay those employees who are still working, online or not?

The largest expense for public universities are salaries. Who is going to pay those employees who are still working, online or not?
Public universities are government institutions. Answer: the state of Michigan. Universities have endowments funds and B10 universities control huge endowments. MSU has more than $2B in their endowment fund IIRC . I'm not sure what their by-laws state about permissible expenditures, however..

Because in-person school will ALWAYS be better than online education. These students are paying a premium for a B1G university educational experience PLUS university facilities, which are now removed/dimished.

I'd be demanding a discount. If the school can change the product so drastically after you pay for it, you can demand an appropriate price for the diminished product you are receiving.

What facilities is the university removing and diminishing?

Bro, you do realize Iowa already offered tons of online courses before covid. Lets not talk about other Big 10 schools like Purdue and MSU.

You probably still have a Blackberry.

Are you serious, let's see let me name a few reasons; much lower utilities, limited need for janitorial staff, lower insurance rates with no one on campus, limited wear and tear on campus facilities, less interaction with profs and other staff, we could go on and on. Everyone has to cut back on finances except any goverment entity.

Are you serious, let's see let me name a few reasons; much lower utilities, limited need for janitorial staff, lower insurance rates with no one on campus, limited wear and tear on campus facilities, less interaction with profs and other staff, we could go on and on. Everyone has to cut back on finances except any goverment entity.

But they got all those purty buildings.

I believe it is undisputable that virtual learning is inferior overall. Valuable but inferior nevertheless. There is just no way you can replicate the classroom and on-campus personal interactions and experiences.

Public universities are government institutions. Answer: the state of Michigan. Universities have endowments funds and B10 universities control huge endowments. MSU has more than $2B in their endowment fund IIRC . I'm not sure what their by-laws state about permissible expenditures, however..

You clearly have no clue about this topic. Stop bro now before you embarrass yourself.

This is an ongoing problem for the last 20 years. The State of Michigan, or any state for that matter, contributes a small and decreasing portion to public universities. Yes, these are state institutions but the conundrum is decreasing financial support from the state. For example, the contribution from the state to some schools have decreased from 75% 30 years ago to approximately 15% now.

BTW you mention endowments. Bro endowments are not checking accounts. I remember when the idiot board of trustees at Iowa wanted to sell the $100m painting at Iowa because they have no clue how endowments work. Oftentimes, the money is restricted. Aunt Sarah Joe donated her last $50k to Iowa but legally mandated it only goes to a student from some no name county who studies the history of ceramics featuring cats. You CAN NOT just take take money.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
But they got all those purty buildings.

Yes many universities (most probably) have significant debt related to adding facilities. Not to mention the extensive staff to care for those buildings, staff to work cafeterias, food service, etc. Some of those jobs are students, so those won't be "layoffs" per se, but with a whole semester or year of online learning, universities will have to cut staff.

As to the other points that online learning is as good as in-person, I would disagree. Missing out on the informal discussions with the professor either before or after class, networking with other students and for some degrees (science comes to mind) labs can only really be done in person.

Reactions: anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt
You clearly have no clue about this topic. Stop bro now before you embarrass yourself.

This is an ongoing problem for the last 20 years. The State of Michigan, or any state for that matter, contributes a small and decreasing portion to public universities. Yes, these are state institutions but the conundrum is decreasing financial support from the state. For example, the contribution from the state to some schools have decreased from 75% 30 years ago to approximately 15% now.

BTW you mention endowments. Bro endowments are not checking accounts. I remember when the idiot board of trustees at Iowa wanted to sell the $100m painting at Iowa because they have no clue how endowments work. Oftentimes, the money is restricted. Aunt Sarah Joe donated her last $50k to Iowa but legally mandated it only goes to a student from some no name county who studies the history of ceramics featuring cats. You CAN NOT just take take money.

Yes many of the endowment dollars are earmarked for other purposes. Entirely true that the % of a university budget coming from the state continues to shrink, but also true that the overall budget of the universities continues to skyrocket, so state legislatures can't justify continuing to send more and more $ to the universities with other interests. But that is a separate discussion from the one at hand.

Mostly a big scam for at least half the majors offered anyway.

Reactions: Clownhater
You directly asked me the question set forth below, presumably because you did not know the answer: Your question was:
I gave you the answer: University of Michigan employees are paid by the state.​
Now I'm the one that has no clue?​

Reactions: hawkfeever
So what you’re saying is he’s a liberal snowflake who pretends to understand nature...

(am I doing this right?)

No. What he is saying is that we are mental midgets in comparison, and a fox news education doesn't qualify anyone to question him, or any infectious disease expert.

Was just down there moving my eldest in on Monday.

I’d venture an estimate that a little more than half were following these mandatory guidelines.

Just because an adult writes it down and keeps repeating it doesn’t mean students are listening or take it to heart.

So you're saying he has similar qualifications to Dr. Trump. Interesting.

You directly asked me the question set forth below, presumably because you did not know the answer: Your question was:

I gave you the answer: University of Michigan employees are paid by the state.

And many of those employees are there to support the students in person, so lay them off then.

Classes haven't started yet at MSU. Withdraw for a full refund

I gave you the answer: University of Michigan employees are paid by the state.

I second that you have no clue what you’re talking about, and this response illustrates that fact. Yes, university employees are employees of the state. But they belong to an institution that is, to an overwhelming degree, responsible for its own funding through tuition, fees, and donations. The bulk of university employees are not receiving their paychecks out of the state budget. The question is more about where the necessary funds will come from, and less about who “ultimately” approves the salaries

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT