ADVERTISEMENT

Down to 9 scholarship players as of today....

IllQChawk

HR All-American
May 29, 2001
Filip, Patrick, Tony, Ahron, Kris, Payton, Riley, Josh Dix, & Desonte Bowen.

Connor doesn't count toward the scholarships if he comes back. Does Fran put guards Luc Laketa and redshirt freshment Carter Kingsbury on scholarship? That would still leave 2 scholarships available so Fran could potentially add a big man and a point guard from the portal or from other places.
Will he stand pat and bank the 2 empty scholarships or will he go for the gold?

I didn't say he couldn't come back. Just that if on scholarship it now counts towards the team allotment.
He hasn’t used his Covid year yet so it doesn’t count toward the scholarship number. He got a medical year due to his hip issues.

I think Connor sticks around until Jack gets a scholarship and then all three boys will be on the team.
Jack is only a freshman. Connor will be done after next season and Patrick will finish up in the spring when Jack will come into the program that fall. Joe W’s brother will come in that year as well if he decides to go to Iowa.

Jack is only a freshman. Connor will be done after next season and Patrick will finish up in the spring when Jack will come into the program that fall. Joe W’s brother will come in that year as well if he decides to go to Iowa.
Hey, some football player at NIU was just granted his 8th year of eligibility. There’s hope for Connor yet.

He hasn’t used his Covid year yet so it doesn’t count toward the scholarship number. He got a medical year due to his hip issues.
Wrong!

Players can exercise the extra year, but the schools now have to count that towards their 13 scholarship limit. There are no more bonus scholarships the teams get for the COVID players they have to now manage and count them towards the team limit.

Wrong!

Players can exercise the extra year, but the schools now have to count that towards their 13 scholarship limit. There are no more bonus scholarships the teams get for the COVID players they have to now manage and count them towards the team limit.
Well then that settles that, with Connor coming back, and Laketa and Kingsbury likely getting scholarships next year, Fran only has to find 1 more player to fill his 13 man roster, just think he doesn't really need to get any player to commit until June or so. Add another couple of walk-on's and it should be a piece of cake for ol' Fran. What an easy off season...

How many guys have to leave before Fran wakes up? He talks down the portal because of its potential to negatively impact locker room chemistry and sees it as some sign of disloyalty to his guys. Meanwhile, his guys have no problem leaving him.

Now we bide our time until Fran goes into spin mode about how hard he worked to identify portal talent, but couldn't find the right locker chemistry fit, so he is going to stick with his guys. Connor and Ulis are going to be much improved offensively. Laketa is a player and should have gotten more time last year. Mulvey is ready to take a big step.

If Fran can't upgrade from a guy who didn't play in Josh and a guy who never improved in Joe T., then there is no hope. Reach out to that kid at Western Illinois that had 16-18 against Iowa. Fran needs a scoring guard because neither Connor or Ulis have this skill set. I am also not sure why Fran is so enamored with having a "big". Get a Reggie Evans/ Cy Tate who wants to D guys up and hit the boards. Clearly Fran's "plan" for Josh did not pan out...whatever that was.

How many guys have to leave before Fran wakes up? He talks down the portal because of its potential to negatively impact locker room chemistry and sees it as some sign of disloyalty to his guys. Meanwhile, his guys have no problem leaving him.

Now we bide our time until Fran goes into spin mode about how hard he worked to identify portal talent, but couldn't find the right locker chemistry fit, so he is going to stick with his guys. Connor and Ulis are going to be much improved offensively. Laketa is a player and should have gotten more time last year. Mulvey is ready to take a big step.

If Fran can't upgrade from a guy who didn't play in Josh and a guy who never improved in Joe T., then there is no hope. Reach out to that kid at Western Illinois that had 16-18 against Iowa. Fran needs a scoring guard because neither Connor or Ulis have this skill set. I am also not sure why Fran is so enamored with having a "big". Get a Reggie Evans/ Cy Tate who wants to D guys up and hit the boards. Clearly Fran's "plan" for Josh did not pan out...whatever that was.
I am guessing that your analysis at this time last year foretold and Big Ten Tournament championship. Right?

Wrong!

What do you call his 6th year then?…..

from CL…..

In postgame Fran McCaffery said he would like to have Connor back for a sixth year but his son will take time to think about it.

Also, he was asked about the bouncy Wilson basketballs that do have a weird feel.

"I think if you would ask the players, they would tell you they don't like it. But they played with the same ball we played with. So it cannot be an excuse. But I don't think it's a good ball."

Iowa was 6-of-29 from 3.

Well then that settles that, with Connor coming back, and Laketa and Kingsbury likely getting scholarships next year, Fran only has to find 1 more player to fill his 13 man roster, just think he doesn't really need to get any player to commit until June or so. Add another couple of walk-on's and it should be a piece of cake for ol' Fran. What an easy off season...
WPOTY

What do you call his 6th year then?…..

from CL…..

In postgame Fran McCaffery said he would like to have Connor back for a sixth year but his son will take time to think about it.

Also, he was asked about the bouncy Wilson basketballs that do have a weird feel.

"I think if you would ask the players, they would tell you they don't like it. But they played with the same ball we played with. So it cannot be an excuse. But I don't think it's a good ball."

Iowa was 6-of-29 from 3.

Have you suffered from Traumatic Brain Injury? I'm sorry I can't spell it out for you in any more plain language.

Good day to you

Filip, Patrick, Tony, Ahron, Kris, Payton, Riley, Josh Dix, & Desonte Bowen.

Connor doesn't count toward the scholarships if he comes back. Does Fran put guards Luc Laketa and redshirt freshment Carter Kingsbury on scholarship? That would still leave 2 scholarships available so Fran could potentially add a big man and a point guard from the portal or from other places.
Will he stand pat and bank the 2 empty scholarships or will he go for the gold?
Connor will be back it sounds like, and yes he counts against the scholly limit (he's done with Baseball too). Fran says we WILL be getting a big in the portal, but thinks we're in good shape at the point. (per HawkCentral interview)

As for Joe T. "He wants an expanded role. We'll help him in any way. I love that kid".

Last edited:
Reactions: natchrlman
Its now the reality of CBB. It makes it tougher to develop guys long term and build a team. Seems more and more like the g league and 10 day contracts to me. Seems like more and more folks are on a 1 year deal.

Reactions: hawkfan1963
Need a big and a shooter. Hoping Krus takes a step forward bit could use at least a defensive big who can rebound and a consistent shooter to add. Maybe Bowen fits that bill but really want another shooter

If Fran wants to pretend Connor is a better option than everyone in the portal it's time for him to find a new employer. What a worthless POS, can have a NPOY last 3 seasons and not accomplish shit. East coast trash

Hey, some football player at NIU was just granted his 8th year of eligibility. There’s hope for Connor yet.

bryan-sperry-football-touchdown-today-1560428-tease.jpg

Good one, but to give a serious response, it could happen. CMac could be an assistant coach or have some other role with the team.
The initial thought was all three playing together. That ain’t happening. And I laughed at Patrick going through the NBA process but decided against it. He isn’t close to getting a sniff at the NBA.

We want Connor back because of his experience. Fran will have his hands full filling 3 other scholarships.

Just give every walk on a scholly until they're all occupied. No disrupting team chemistry. No having to deal with that pesky portal. Problem solved!

ADVERTISEMENT