ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Christine Grant died yesterday

Herky T Hawk

HR Heisman
Feb 5, 2003
Didn’t see this posted anywhere yet and I thought it deserved a thread.

For those of you young bucks that don’t know, the university used to have two seperate athletic departments. Dr. Christine Grant was the AD of the women’s one and was extremely successful. There’s a reason that women’s basketball, softball, and field hockey were awesome for us back in the day and it was because of the people she hired and supported. Including school legend coaches like Gayle Blevins, C. Vivian Stringer, and her last hire before retiring Lisa Bluder. She was a national leader for women‘s athletics and had a massive amount of influence on where women’s athletics are in this country today.

After she retired the women’s athletic department merged with the men’s and we ended up where we are today. It does make you wonder how would things be better if that merger hadn’t happened. How many Barta caused lawsuits would university have avoided? I could think of at least 2 or 3.

Grant_Christine_Field-Dedication2.jpeg
A giant of Iowa Athletics and in women’ college athletics in general. Obviously made Iowa Field Hockey national champions and a perennial power. Absolute legend. Just had a school in North Liberty named after her. RIP Dr. Christine!

I was there when she came to Coach Fry's office told him that college Football should add a twelfth game and all of the revenue should go to Women's sports. He disagreed and told her that money should go to the players.

ADVERTISEMENT