ADVERTISEMENT

Drake Ayala

Drake is ok in Iowa, but I think Rathjen is better. Chance Lamer likes to make trips from Oregon to pound on Drake. Get on some real kids, forget Iowa connections.

And who won at Cadet in July? Oh, right, Ayala.

Edit, of course you blame it on freestyle and others have already ridiculed you for it. Especially considering your implication is that they should focus on Lamer instead of the "Iowa connection," which is beyond silly, it would do the exact opposite of what you complain about, ignoring actual wrestling for geography.

Ayala will likely be ranked/considered the same as Teske by end of career, should he also be undefeated.

And who won at Cadet in July? Oh, right, Ayala.

Edit, of course you blame it on freestyle and others have already ridiculed you for it. Especially considering your implication is that they should focus on Lamer instead of the "Iowa connection," which is beyond silly, it would do the exact opposite of what you complain about, ignoring actual wrestling for geography.

Ayala will likely be ranked/considered the same as Teske by end of career, should he also be undefeated.

If he's undefeated this year he'd be ranked higher because he will at some point need to go through Schriever.

I have no basis for prediction but I would wager Schriever is better at this point.

Teske faced some good competition over the years but I'm not sure he ever faced a top 5 guy at his weight class nationally like Schriever (Intermat #4 106). It took Teske until his sophomore year to crack the top 20 in his weight and his junior year to reach top 10.

Cullan will smoke him. Pop-drop, let him up and so on.
HKI, I'm going by the eyeball test and your opinion means less than nothing to me. You can chase after Iowa kids all you want, but not with a biased eye. I would love to have an all Iowa team, but borders don't mean that much to me when it comes to recruiting.

Cullan will smoke him. Pop-drop, let him up and so on.
HKI, I'm going by the eyeball test and your opinion means less than nothing to me. You can chase after Iowa kids all you want, but not with a biased eye. I would love to have an all Iowa team, but borders don't mean that much to me when it comes to recruiting.

You're really creating a straw man here. Nobody suggested creating an all Iowa team or passing on high level out of state recruits for lesser in state options.

However, the fact remains, borders are important in recruiting in all college sports. For example, if Drake and Chance were comparable in talent, it would make no sense to ignore the Iowa kid as you suggested in your initial post.

While nobody would suggest Iowa passes on a Spencer Lee to get Teske, nobody would suggest we shouldn't recruit Teske because he's from Iowa.

The best Iowa teams had a good blend of top out of state talent as well as good local products and depth.

You'e talking out of your ass and you're taking my post to a different level. I said they're both good wrestlers, but I'll take Chance. I never said never recruit Iowa wrestlers, but I try not to look at borders.

Can you post the match were Chance got hammered? I can't find it. Tia

Reactions: el dub
You'e talking out of your ass and you're taking my post to a different level. I said they're both good wrestlers, but I'll take Chance. I never said never recruit Iowa wrestlers, but I try not to look at borders.

First results on google, which shows your real purpose. You didn’t say eyeball test, you said Chance liked to come beat on him, then completely moved the goalposts re: freestyle when Cadet results was pointed out. For someone trying to cry bias, completely dismissing the most recent result screams bias.

And, yes, you essentially said to not look at Iowa, or said another way, to look outside Iowa first. That is the same, but reverse, problem you were initially complaining about.

They are freshman, nobody has demanded recruitment of one over the other yet. As CP pointed out we are going to see some huge matches out of this kid with plenty of time to evaluate.

Reactions: SansSouci and CP84

You claim Chance hammers Drake while effectively admitting to not even seeing the most recent match between the two. You can't make this up.

Get a room you two. Just because I didn't see their last one means I've never watched them wrestle? Morons.

What do you two freaks have invested here? Do you just want the last word? Are you Seabolt's bitches. I hope the best for Drake, I'm still taking Chance.

I'm out goofballs, talk to yourselves.

Reactions: hawknut
Get a room you two. Just because I didn't see their last one means I've never watched them wrestle? Morons.

What do you two freaks have invested here? Do you just want the last word? Are you Seabolt's bitches. I hope the best for Drake, I'm still taking Chance.

Literally nobody said you’d never seen them wrestle. I would bow out too if I were you in this thread. Sure sounds like someone has an issue with Sebolt.

Reactions: CP84

I have nothing invested here. In fact I even said I anticipate Schriever beats him this year. All I've said is Iowa should keep an eye on him early. That only makes sense for a Cadet champ and a kid who just destroyed last year's 2A runner up and current #1. Metcalf is already networking with him for good reason.

You however came in with some crazy rant about looking outside the state and how a guy that just got dominated by him likes to pound on Drake.

Post the video and the rest of them. Chance is better. Done with this thread.

It was the very first video brought up with their names. Sousi showing his true purpose here.

Reactions: CP84
I have nothing invested here. In fact I even said I anticipate Schriever beats him this year. All I've said is Iowa should keep an eye on him early. That only makes sense for a Cadet champ and a kid who just destroyed last year's 2A runner up and current #1. Metcalf is already networking with him for good reason.

You however came in with some crazy rant about looking outside the state and how a guy that just got dominated by him likes to pound on Drake.

Way to go out on limb to say Schriever beats him this year since they were just in the same bracket a month ago with Schriever winning it and Drake dnp.

Schriever, Drake and lamer will all great recruits that any school would be lucky to have.

Reactions: Krupnyakov
image.jpg

Reactions: honkey69 and CP84
Drake looked great in every position and his heads hands defense was perfect. It went to OT, but Drake was in control the entire match. He’s good.

Yeah and I was just giving you crap on the bump. I thought it was funny though.

There's another Ayala kid, cousin I think, coming up that should be a stud too.

Reactions: SansSouci
Was thinking years ago, how will we ever replace a Gilman and along comes Spencer. This year been thinking how will we ever replace Spencer. Then watching Ayala last night, we are truly the lightweight U. Sure hope Spencer hangs around and works with Drake. This young man is special. He wrestled smart but aggressive against Figs. That was a big win. Just a side note, hope NCAA doesnt change to 2 peice unis, leaves too much to chance for grabbing uniform penalties with loose clothes.

Wrote about the 2 piece Bullshit before, guess it is worth saying again. Was at a local HS tournament and had my wrestler on the mat when I saw his opponent coming onto the mat and said to the coach he forgot to take his shorts off. Coach said, "no thats our new uniform."

I was like he can not wrestle a match wearing those baggy shorts! Called the Ref over said to him this can not be league? Was some discussion but eventual the match was wrestled. I do understand that most are Wrestling with tight fitting uniforms, but this example showed that it was open to interpretation.

Once more, as the tournament went on and the kids had several matches. Now these shirts and shorts are soaked in sweat and hanging down past the kids knees in some cases. The shirts are also all stretched out.

Tell you what. If you are facing a Leg Rider, wear a pair of these!!!! Try to jam a leg in from top when the bottom guys shorts are hanging down past his knees. Might be a new defense!

I don’t understand why anyone cares?
If you don’t understand then you are not seeing what most are, and that is that a singlet does not get In the way and shorts and tees do. Even when they have snug fitting shirts there is more material to get in the way, a perfect example of this was Drake’s match.
The shorts are a entirely other ball game because they are not like Grappling ( compression style ) shorts that are tight and may work much better. No these are baggy shorts that are in most cases to big and are constantly being pulled up readjusted and in the way of a whole slew of the wrestling game!
In fact many Of the top Guys around the world practice in singlets also, most anyone who has spent time in wrestling rooms can tell you a story when they got twisted up in ”warmups”.

Last edited:
If you don’t understand then you are not seeing what most are, and that is that a singlet does not get In the way and shorts and tees do. Even when they have snug fitting shirts there is more material to get in the way, a perfect example of this was Drake’s match.
The shorts are a entirely other ball game because they are not like Grappling ( compression style ) shorts that are tight and may work much better. No these are baggy shorts that are in most cases to big and are constantly being pulled up readjusted and in the way of a whole slew of the wrestling game!
In fact many Of the top Guys around the world practice in singlets also, most anyone who has spent time in wrestling rooms can tell you a story when they got twisted up in ”warmups”.
Serious question, did you ever wrestle? And if so what did you wear in practice where you spent 99% of your mat time?

Wrote about the 2 piece Bullshit before, guess it is worth saying again. Was at a local HS tournament and had my wrestler on the mat when I saw his opponent coming onto the mat and said to the coach he forgot to take his shorts off. Coach said, "no thats our new uniform."

I was like he can not wrestle a match wearing those baggy shorts! Called the Ref over said to him this can not be league? Was some discussion but eventual the match was wrestled. I do understand that most are Wrestling with tight fitting uniforms, but this example showed that it was open to interpretation.

Once more, as the tournament went on and the kids had several matches. Now these shirts and shorts are soaked in sweat and hanging down past the kids knees in some cases. The shirts are also all stretched out.

Tell you what. If you are facing a Leg Rider, wear a pair of these!!!! Try to jam a leg in from top when the bottom guys shorts are hanging down past his knees. Might be a new defense!
Lol, leg rider here. Shorts never caused a problem getting a leg in. Not even sure how that would work.

Reactions: VansontheMoon44
I agree with you. I have seen teams with the 2 piece compression shirts and shorts and guess who hates wearing those? Bigger kids or kids who aren't lean. When the rule changed a few years ago there were quite of few schools wearing two pieces as an extra uniform, but as the season went on you seen less and less. Now you see very few wearing them and none that I know wear only two pieces.

Reactions: Grip220
Serious question, did you ever wrestle? And if so what did you wear in practice where you spent 99% of your mat time?
You asked a question why anyone cares I gave you an answer, if you don’t like my answer then we disagree and thats ok. Ayala could have lost his match last night because of the uniform.
everyone who has wrestled has worn shorts,tees,sweats,hoodies and they all suit up with a singlet when it’s match time for a reason.
If you have never got caught up in someone’s baggie warmups in practice then you did not wrestle much. I’m done with this pissing match about shorts and tees and who wrestled what and how much. There is a clear reason for singlets and they will never be replaced across the board because of it.

Lol, leg rider here. Shorts never caused a problem getting a leg in. Not even sure how that would work.
If anything, the shorts help the leg rider because they have more traction than sweaty skin. Harder to clear the leg.

You asked a question why anyone cares I gave you an answer, if you don’t like my answer then we disagree and thats ok. Ayala could have lost his match last night because of the uniform.
everyone who has wrestled has worn shorts,tees,sweats,hoodies and they all suit up with a singlet when it’s match time for a reason.
If you have never got caught up in someone’s baggie warmups in practice then you did not wrestle much. I’m done with this pissing match about shorts and tees and who wrestled what and how much. There is a clear reason for singlets and they will never be replaced across the board because of it.
You answered my question about why anyone cares with an answer that doesn’t make any sense. I guess we can disagree, but just want to make it clear your reason is not logical.

if the reason for a singlet is because there is less hang up with the clothes, then the wrestling uniform should be a speedo, or at least tight spandex shorts and no shirt. What purpose does the shoulder strap serve on a singlet? Spandex shorts stay up on their own. The shoulder straps are purely for looks/style.

You answered my question about why anyone cares with an answer that doesn’t make any sense. I guess we can disagree, but just want to make it clear your reason is not logical.

if the reason for a singlet is because there is less hang up with the clothes, then the wrestling uniform should be a speedo, or at least tight spandex shorts and no shirt. What purpose does the shoulder strap serve on a singlet? Spandex shorts stay up on their own. The shoulder straps are purely for looks/style.
Wtf man. You're now bitching and moaning just to bitch and moan. You used to contribute solid commentary and insight, but that seems to be fading quickly.
As of late, you seem to be very argumentative and picking odd hills to die on.

Take a deep breath and step away for awhile.

Reactions: McIlraveysMullet

You act like singlets never get grabbed/hands caught in them.

I mostly only saw the highlights of WNO on Flo’s Twitter. Were there issues with the uniforms in other matches? That many matches and it only being an issue in one probably isn’t bad. Figueroa’s shorts also seemed to be a little more baggy than some others IMO. Overall I thought the 2 pieces looked good and seemed to fit well. Not like a few years ago like in Fix/Suriano where they rolled the shorts up and they looked like skirts.

I know this thread has now moved on to arguing about the pro's and con's of wrestling attire, but I just wanted to jump in and say this was a great bump. Love to see a little HR history now and again and see how die hard opinions shake out a year or 2 or 3 down the road.

Sans took this one like a man and you have to respect taking a firm opinion in the first place. While we wait for the big events and for the college season to start, these blast from the past threads are great entertainment.

Two solid opinions of mine that stick in my mind, I never thought much of Teasdale finding college success, which proved true and never thought DeSanto would make much of an impact on a D1 roster, which proves I really don't know what I'm talking about most of the time.

Last edited:
By listing it this way, it allows us to continue actively recruiting younger 125lbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grip220
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT