ADVERTISEMENT

Drake Men’s Basketball Promotes Matt Gatens and Brady Ellingson

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Good for them!

Gatens, who has served as the Bulldogs' director of operations the last two seasons, moves into an assistant coaching role while Ellingson takes over the director of operations duties after a season as a graduate manager.

EiNyqZjXsAAIhC_

EiNysHYXYAA1T_1

Drake Men’s Basketball Promotes Gatens and Ellingson

September 18, 2020

Drake University head men's basketball coach Darian DeVries has announced the promotion of current coaching staff members Matt Gatens and Brady Ellingson to new staff roles.

Gatens, who has served as the Bulldogs' director of operations the last two seasons, moves into an assistant coaching role while Ellingson takes over the director of operations duties after a season as a graduate manager.

"I'm very excited to promote Matt and Brady. They're both talented staff members who have been a big part of the success we've had in the last two seasons," DeVries said. "Both have resumes that speak for themselves and are incredibly dedicated and hard workers. They have built tremendous relationships and credibility with our guys and I'm looking forward to them continuing to grow in their careers and have an even greater impact in our program."

Gatens moves into an on-court coaching role after successfully managing and expanding the Bulldogs off-court operations the past two seasons including scheduling, travel scouting and camps. The former University of Iowa standout joined DeVries' staff after a season at Auburn.

"I'm extremely excited and thankful for the opportunity to continue to work with Coach DeVries and our staff here at Drake," Gatens said. "I'm eager to get to work with our great group of players and continue to grow what we have built here at Drake. I want to thank Coach DeVries, Coach Richter and Coach Blunt for their mentorship and confidence in me to take on this new role."

He was a four-year starter at guard for Iowa, where he scored 1,635 career points, the sixth most in Iowa history, and averaged 12.8 points per game while averaging 2.3 rebounds per game. He was just the second Iowa player to record 1,600 points, 450 rebounds, 250 assists and 125 steals in a career. Gatens was a two-time All-Big Ten selection and two-time team captain.

Following his Hawkeye career, Gatens played professionally in France, Spain, Turkey and Ukraine. He returned to the United States to play for the Iowa Energy in the NBA Development League, but he suffered a torn ACL just five quarters into the 2016-17 season to end his playing career.

Ellingson remains on staff in an elevated role as the director of operations following a year as the Bulldogs' graduate assistant. In that role, he coordinated the Bulldogs' video and scouting operations. He assumed that role after earning second-team All-MVC honors in his lone season as a Bulldog in 2018-19. Ellingson helped lead the team to its first Missouri Valley Conference title in more than a decade and ranked third nationally in three-point accuracy at 47.9 percent. He also led the Valley in three-pointers made and converted on 53.9 percent of his attempts in league play.

Ellingson joined the Bulldogs as a student-athlete after playing in 94 games at the University of Iowa.

Last edited:
Some day, perhaps not that far off, 5 years...……..Matt Gatens will be mentioned as a candidate for
Univ of Iowa Hawkeye Basketball program.

Make book on it. #gohawks

Five years? Thinking more like right after the Hawks lose their first game this year. 😒

ADVERTISEMENT