ADVERTISEMENT

Drake WBB lose HC Baranczyk to Oklahoma, promote Associate Head Coach Alison Pohlman to fill HC vacancy

Thought she would hold out for Bluder’s job but that probably won’t be open for 10+ years.

Good for Jennie, very deserving of this opportunity. Makes me wonder where Drake will turn next, Jan Jensen & her family love Iowa City but I'd be surprised if she didn't at least get a call.

She saw the writing on the wall- Clark means Bluder is safe for three more years— then at least two for past efforts. Thus she gets to name her retirement.

Jenny B could still end up in Iowa City in 4-5 years. She is still relatively young. It does make you wonder though who Iowa turns to when Bluder does retire. If Jenny B has success at Oklahoma she might not be so eager to leave. Jensen seems the heir apparent but she could reasonably look to retire not long after Bluder. I don't see her leaving Iowa for another school but if she were to step in it would a stop gap. Coach Harmon would make more sense if Iowa chooses to hire internally. If any member of the staff leaves before Bluder retires, I really hope Bluder reaches out to Tania Davis and offers her a full time assistant spot.

Jenny B could still end up in Iowa City in 4-5 years. She is still relatively young. It does make you wonder though who Iowa turns to when Bluder does retire. If Jenny B has success at Oklahoma she might not be so eager to leave. Jensen seems the heir apparent but she could reasonably look to retire not long after Bluder. I don't see her leaving Iowa for another school but if she were to step in it would a stop gap. Coach Harmon would make more sense if Iowa chooses to hire internally. If any member of the staff leaves before Bluder retires, I really hope Bluder reaches out to Tania Davis and offers her a full time assistant spot.
I think Jennie will be successful in Norman, she'll need to navigate the recruiting landscape & transition period but she's a hard worker. The next Iowa HC will most certainly either be Jennie or Jan. Raina Harmon won't be HC at Iowa, she has at least one more stop in her before a non p5 school would consider her, although that stop could open up an assistant for Tania which I think all Iowa fans would support. Her GA role is over at Clemson I believe, 2 years is what they have always been so hopefully she'll end up in a good assistant role somewhere so she can get the experience she'll need to move forward.

Maybe Tania Davis could end up on the new Drake staff. I wonder if any former Hawkeye might have a chance for the HC position there. It is probably one of the most lucrative Mid-major programs with its recent endowment.

Reactions: jockos
Wasn't Kachine Alexander coaching too? And Lindsay Richards. And I think Cara Consuegra will be a candidate for the head coaching job too.

Wasn't Kachine Alexander coaching too? And Lindsay Richards. And I think Cara Consuegra will be a candidate for the head coaching job too.
Kachine got married & quit coaching two years ago. Cara is coaching in North Carolina (Charlotte) which is a couple hours from where she grew up, Drake wouldn't really be a step up for her. Lindsay eventually got into coaching (assistant) for a few seasons, but has moved on to other things.

Vivian Stringer has coached many players at Iowa who are now in the coaching ranks some as HC others as AC's (Northwestern, UCLA, Duke, South Carolina, Rutgers, UCF, Eastern Michigan...).

Last edited:
I was surprised they didnt hire Tina Langley from Rice. She moved on to the University of Washington. After Rice had a good year this season she was probably looking for a move to a P5 school. They won the WNIT and she was looking at a major rebuild anyway. Best player(Nancy Mulkey-tallest player in D1) was a senior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT