ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Miller, Mediapolis IA, #1 ‘24 kicker nationally

The rule changes in the college game do make it harder to both block and return punts. The rugby style punts, when properly executed, are very hard to return.

I will readily acknowledge that the kicking has gotten a lot better. I showed the stats from Tom Nichol's career, who was a very good kicker at Iowa. He made 61% of the kicks. It's highly unlikely that any FG kicker today would be allowed to take 70 FG attempts making just 61% of the kicks. Doesn't mean he was a bad kicker, just things have changed.

Roby punted for 16 years in the NFL, averaging more than 43 yards per punt. Was a great in college and in the NFL. He would have been great in any era. Things such as recency bias and love for the past (and overstating how good an older player was) both exist. With that said, I'm old enough to see Roby in person and in the NFL and Taylor today, and Roby is the greatest punter Iowa has had. Period. End of story.
^^ This ^^

Schools typically have 1 punter, 1 kicker and 1 long snapper on scholarship. Obviously it varies, but on average. There can be crossover where the have two, but usually not for long. Or they try to bring them all in on PWO and whoever wins the starting spot gets the scholarship. Schools also use camps for this, bring in a number of punters and competition winner gets the offer and if he commits then that starts the dominoes.
Congratulations on a great showing by your son at the Kohls National Invitational in TN this weekend. Got to see a few of his punts. He had some bombs! The state of Iowa represented well in Gatlinburg.

MepoDawg -

I can’t believe I missed this earlier, but I saw that your son is dual enrolled. I homeschooled my sons part time for many years (didn’t sleep much with the other stuff I was doing on top of that) before they dual enrolled in school and then full-time in high school. They weren’t nationally ranked kickers though. ;)

Is he part of a PSEO program?

both of my sons did that at Iowa starting their junior years in HS. They took a bunch of classes at the University because they weren’t offered at their high school, and the school district paid for tuition. Philosophy, sociology, anthropology, Russian, creative writing etc.

A number of kids do that and take classes at community college, but it’s a whole other level to be at the UI as a HS student. As far as I remember, Mediapolis is not too tough of a commute to Iowa city, and it’s manageable with high school classes because you can take a three credit class that only meets twice a week, and some classes even have online options.

by the time my youngest son started his freshman year at Iowa, he had already taken 35 credits at the University, plus he had 16 AP credits. He’s on track to get three majors in four years.

my older son decided to go to university at least, but they didn’t except a single credit hour of his AP classes or any classes he took at the university. He did well, but he could only manage to take one major. A lot of tuition expense for not as much bang for your buck that way.

If your son came to Iowa, he could have four years paid for on scholarship and end up with a graduate degree plus one or two undergraduate degrees if you guys play your cards right and take advantage of the PSEO program.

Just some advice father to father, and Hawkeye to Hawkeye.

Enjoy the process! You’ll really miss him when you move him into his dorm, so cherish all the time you have with him now.

No, just dual enrolled through high school and Southeastern Community College. Started freshman year and has 18 credits done, goal is 30. Depending where he attends will determine how many credits transfer, anywhere from 0 to all he takes. Goal would be to do two majors and/or a graduate degree in 4 years.
That’s very impressive that he started doing that freshman year. Aaron Graves to my knowledge did the same thing before he joined the Iowa football team, and he even earned his associates degree before graduating high school. I’m sure Graves is either going to stay for years and get a few majors are a graduate degree.

The University of Iowa generally accepts all those classes taken at a CC. I’m just making you aware of the fact that he can actually take classes at the university itself, because there’s really a limited selection at a community college, and of course, the faculty at the University is great.

A lot of programs will refuse to spend scholarships on punters...

Or at best offer PWOs and have them earn the scholarship once on the team.

Forget the players, but Kirk caught some crap a few years back for offering scholarships to a couple kickers.

Yep,.. But with our defensive mindset I think punting is important and well worth the scholarship...

I believe other schools have at least already offered PWOs, so if we haven’t I won’t be surprised if a scholarship offer is out there soon, if it’s not already.

Reactions: Rifler
Iowa and many other teams seem to have the Australia thing going. Wonder if Taylor's little bro ends up here. Says he is better than him.

I think it's about time for coaches to move on... not offering an in-state KICKER (which is Iowa's bread and butter) is asinine and illogical.

I’ll give you the first part of that. He wants to play day 1. But not sure what the second part means. There’s been no talk of NIL with any school. That’s not how is supposed to work and we’re keeping to that.

Another is trying to get out of a 13 million NIL deal.

Is it just Iowa not doing that or are others skirting the rules?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT