ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Tate to UNI staff?

So he should retire just because he is 69 yrs old?
If he is getting the job done why should he retire?
No, he should retire because it does not appear much development is happening at the QB position under his watch.

And in no way am I suggesting Drew Tate should be his replacement. I don't know enough about Tate to know that or not.

Are you disagreeing or you just look at everything through rose colored glasses?

Drew Tate was incredibly fun to watch and I loved the way he played the position.

I am HIGHLY skeptical that even if he were to be brought in as qb coach that we'd see anything like that. Solving the qb issues at Iowa starts with the head coach first and foremost.

Good luck to him at uni and wherever else he goes from there.

He is the highest paid QB coach in CFB and that product gets us… Petras. And for as much as Stanley did for us, he was also an exceptionally “ok” QB. For paying someone so much money, you’d expect a little better performance out of him.

Sure a lot would question and some already have about KOK getting the job done. Also the fact he was brought in to hold the new inexperienced play calling OC’s hand who has done a less than stellar job to put it nicely.

I’m all for former players being on staff if qualified. Guys like woods and I will even say Brian coming in as OL coach after coaching in NE was a good hire. As of today not sure drew tate would be the guy I’d want. Think Iowa could do better with more established guys out there but who knows maybe down the road. If anything one could argue former qb David raih is far more qualified for job than drew. But I hope he does well always cheer for uni when not playing Iowa.

He did. Dick was honored at the Texas Bowl earlier in the month as a Texas Gridiron legend. Mostly for his creation of 7 on 7 off season football

I see Dick and his wife occasionally. His daughter is an officer of the Houston Iowa Club
his dad's name is Dick? there's a dirty ernie joke in there somewhere...

Sure a lot would question and some already have about KOK getting the job done. Also the fact he was brought in to hold the new inexperienced play calling OC’s hand who has done a less than stellar job to put it nicely.

I’m all for former players being on staff if qualified. Guys like woods and I will even say Brian coming in as OL coach after coaching in NE was a good hire. As of today not sure drew tate would be the guy I’d want. Think Iowa could do better with more established guys out there but who knows maybe down the road. If anything one could argue former qb David raih is far more qualified for job than drew. But I hope he does well always cheer for uni when not playing Iowa.
I think someone in another thread said Raih essentially got fired from Vandy? I think the shine may have worn off him as the hot shot former hawk football coach

He is the highest paid QB coach in CFB and that product gets us… Petras. And for as much as Stanley did for us, he was also an exceptionally “ok” QB. For paying someone so much money, you’d expect a little better performance out of him.
Is he really the highest paid QB coach? if you told me he was the lowest, i would still think he is overpaid...

Is he really the highest paid QB coach? if you told me he was the lowest, i would still think he is overpaid...
Yes. It a little misleading as most QB coaches are also the OC. There aren't that many QB coaches who are only QB coaches. KOK is #1 on that list.
List doesn't appear to include private schools, so it is possible someone at USC, Notre Dame, Baylor, et al, makes more (or Penn State which is an odd mix of public and private).

Some may not remember but in '06, I believe it was in the DMR Tate basically torched KOK saying something to the effect that every team in the B10 knows all of our plays before we run them. Now while we all know that was pretty much the truth, it didnt go over very well and KF can hold a grudge.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
KOK has had one of the greatest jobs you can possibly fall into. Performance has essentially been irrelevant. He received raises and bonuses year after year with virtually zero chance he'd lose his job no matter how the qbs looked. That's virtually unheard of in power conference college football.

KOK has had one of the greatest jobs you can possibly fall into. Performance has essentially been irrelevant. He received raises and bonuses year after year with virtually zero chance he'd lose his job no matter how the qbs looked. That's virtually unheard of in power conference college football.

SDHawkDoc...you are 100% correct! This type of nonsense would not be tolerated at any other P5 school. This is why Barta loses almost all respect from any competent Iowa fan.

That's the rumor...wish he would come here and teach mobility!
I appreciate your intent, but there are a couple of issues with this.

First, teaching mobility is similar to teaching speed. You can tweak technique a little bit, but you can't make any significant improvements. Either you're Petras or you're Beathard. You recruit mobility, you don't teach it, not even at KF's little ole developmental program. LOL

Second, Tate is a fiery fella who didn't cotton to being a game manager and being placed in the KF straight jacket as a player. He'd never fit on the KF staff or, if he did, he'd be neutered and be of no use whatsoever.

Iowa needs offensive coaches like Drew Tate, but they won't get any until KF rides off into the sunset or is six feet under, whichever comes first.

No, he should retire because it does not appear much development is happening at the QB position under his watch.

And in no way am I suggesting Drew Tate should be his replacement. I don't know enough about Tate to know that or not.

Are you disagreeing or you just look at everything through rose colored glasses?
Who was Tate's QB coach at Iowa, BTW?

😉

Drew speaks his mind- don’t think Kirk deals well with that type of personality.

IMO, this is the key. I suspect that during his time at Iowa, Tate told KF repeatedly that
the offensive schemes sucked. KF doesn't want to hear more of that.
Tate started 3 years in a row, was routinely praised by the staff, and given the freedom to do pretty much what he wanted. They would take a QB like him any day. There just aren't that many out there.

Tate started 3 years in a row, was routinely praised by the staff, and given the freedom to do pretty much what he wanted. They would take a QB like him any day. There just aren't that many out there.
Some people think they just grow on trees but that's just not the case.

Reactions: BBHawk
Some people think they just grow on trees but that's just not the case.
There's a big difference between growing on trees vs somehow finding back to back QBs who were among the 5% of least mobile QBs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT