ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Tate to UNI staff?

That's a big "IF"

re: Tate. I was skeptical, but looking at the last few years Drew is obviously building the experience to move to a higher level. Will be interesting to see what happens in a few years.
I agree in most fans eyes the Qb situation is dismal.
In Kirks eyes he must be happy with the work KOK does with the Qb's
Age has nothing to do with it. Performance does.
In a fans eye it's a - 10
In Kirks eye it could be + 10

Last edited:
Some may not remember but in '06, I believe it was in the DMR Tate basically torched KOK saying something to the effect that every team in the B10 knows all of our plays before we run them. Now while we all know that was pretty much the truth, it didnt go over very well and KF can hold a grudge.
I couldn't find the DMR article, but Jon Miller did a great interview with Tate in follow-up to that article.

I’ve long thought drew Tate would be one of the few people on the planet that could work with Kirk and make some changes.

There's a big difference between growing on trees vs somehow finding back to back QBs who were among the 5% of least mobile QBs.
You really think Stanley was that immobile?
I have no doubt that Stanley, much like Stanzi, would have been much more mobile in his style of play if either had any kind of half-way decent backup QB that could have filled in if they had been dinged up. Instead, their backups ended up being 2 of the worst P-5 QB's in recent memory when they became QB1.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I appreciate your intent, but there are a couple of issues with this.

First, teaching mobility is similar to teaching speed. You can tweak technique a little bit, but you can't make any significant improvements. Either you're Petras or you're Beathard. You recruit mobility, you don't teach it, not even at KF's little ole developmental program. LOL

Second, Tate is a fiery fella who didn't cotton to being a game manager and being placed in the KF straight jacket as a player. He'd never fit on the KF staff or, if he did, he'd be neutered and be of no use whatsoever.

Iowa needs offensive coaches like Drew Tate, but they won't get any until KF rides off into the sunset or is six feet under, whichever comes first.
I'm interested to see where his coaching career leads. Like all people, he's matured from his college days based on the podcast interview he did with Long and Kakert. Realized in Canada there was still stuff to know/learn about football, and he was taking the humble approach to coaching football. That will serve him well.

To your point about mobility and speed. Yes I would agree. QB's don't magically get tons better pocket presence or moxie or whatever you want to call it. First time Tate went into a game in 2003 as Chandler's backup as a freshman he moved around in the pocket with ease and found ways to get a throwing lane with eyes downfield. Yes, that stuff can be drilled and improved to an extent, but it's just near impossible to take a guy with zero pocket presence or escapability and make him really good at it.

The plays Tate was making in 2004, such as the Wisconsin game where he reverse pirouettes, sets his feet and hits Solomon 50 yards downfield for a TD, that is not taught. That is a guy who senses pressure, has the athletic ability to get away, doesn't panic and in a split second find an open receiver downfield. Recruit guys that can do that, and coaches look a lot smarter.

As you pointed out, Beathard had it. Once he got to the point where could lead the offense, he was the right choice as QB. And magically the Greg Davis offense was good enough to go 12-2 in 2015.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
I'm not really sure how Drew's personality will mix with Farley. You guys think Ferentz is stubborn, Farley gives him a run for his money.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
BTW he is not going to be offensive coordinator. Per my source(his sister)
Whatever he's doing I hope he does it well.
He and Beathard were far and away the best qb's KF has had.
To win the conference MVP with no running game was amazing.
I was sold on him when his helmet get pulled off in Ann Arbor and he continued looking down field for a receiver, our last L that season.

Reactions: natewantofbees
He and Beathard were far and away the best qb's KF has had.
OIP.4W90PzZx2cNl5my9OASMHwAAAA

R.aa4364bc3a27e8a43c7e32ca5be6eed9

Guys like Tate really show how much nepotism played in Brian Ferentz getting the OC job at 34.

Tate has to fight at FCS level and below programs for years and BF gets a power 5 OC job with no play calling experience

Good for Tate, but we have KOK so we are good. Just kidding, I wish we had Tate!

Guys like Tate really show how much nepotism played in Brian Ferentz getting the OC job at 34.

Tate has to fight at FCS level and below programs for years and BF gets a power 5 OC job with no play calling experience
Drew’s has serious substance abuse issues in the past probably the real reason

ADVERTISEMENT