ADVERTISEMENT

Driving with a dog in your lap

HawkOptimist

HB Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
Why is this allowed? I see it all the time. Usually older ladies. Holding Fido as she’s driving along. Fido blocking her blind spot and making it difficult to turn the wheel, etc.

And why do people who claim their dog is part of the family and so loved and whatnot allow the dog to ride in a car without a seatbelt or something? Do they not care about Fido if they get into an accident?

Why is this allowed? I see it all the time. Usually older ladies. Holding Fido as she’s driving along. Fido blocking her blind spot and making it difficult to turn the wheel, etc.

And why do people who claim their dog is part of the family and so loved and whatnot allow the dog to ride in a car without a seatbelt or something? Do they not care about Fido if they get into an accident?
I think it’s illegal in Iowa but it’s never enforced. It’s stupid and you’re correct about it almost always being old women.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I think it’s illegal in Iowa but it’s never enforced. It’s stupid and you’re correct about it almost always being old women.
It’s stupid and just plain dangerous and I see people a lot older than me doing it.
But living in Florida you see lots of strange things and old men do it too.
An ugly little mix breed chihuahua looking dog looking out the open window in the driver’s lap. 😵‍💫

When I was on our volunteer fire department we got called to a one-vehicle wreck where a man drove off the road (no seatbelt) and slammed into the ditch. He was hurt bad enough to spend a couple days in the hospital but lived.

His dog, who was on his lap and got crushed between his master and the steering wheel, was not so fortunate. Probably saved the idiot’s life.

Reactions: goldmom
I had the unfortunate opportunity to see a dog jump/fall out of a car about 50 yds in front of me and get hit by an on coming car.
Not sure how it happened but dogs need to be secured somehow in a vehicle.

• Sad
Reactions: BrianNole777
I had the unfortunate opportunity to see a dog jump/fall out of a car about 50 yds in front of me and get hit by an on coming car.
Not sure how it happened but dogs need to be secured somehow in a vehicle.
It's not pleasant to be on a motorcycle in traffic wondering if one of those situations is gonna happen and put me in the er or worse. Little ankle biters getting a running start at the end of their leash on the sidewalk you can at least see a mile away even if the fool owner can't to tighten their grip in the leash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT