ADVERTISEMENT

Drowning in Single Use Plastics is Freedom or Freedumb?

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
Why don't we ban these bags...like now..??? We all know why; politicians are bought.

Recycling is a scam folks brought to you by the same people giving you climate change.

"Hardly any plastics can be recycled. You’d be forgiven for not knowing that, given how much messaging Americans receive about the convenience of recycling old bottles and food containers—from the weekly curbside collections to the “chasing arrows” markings on food and beverage packaging. But here’s the reality: Between 1990 and 2015, some 90 percent of plastics either ended up in a landfill, were burned, or leaked into the environment. Another recent study estimates that just 5 to 6 percent are successfully recycled."

But but but Migrants!

Why don't we ban these bags...like now..???

Probably because when you balance what's needed to manufacture plastic, paper, and cotton/reusable bags with typical (re)use of bags, or lack thereof, plastic bags are the most environmentally-friendly of the 3.

Probably because when you balance what's needed to manufacture plastic, paper, and cotton/reusable bags with typical (re)use of bags, or lack thereof, plastic bags are the most cost effective of the 3.
Fify

Why don't we ban these bags...like now..??? We all know why; politicians are bought.

Recycling is a scam folks brought to you by the same people giving you climate change.

"Hardly any plastics can be recycled. You’d be forgiven for not knowing that, given how much messaging Americans receive about the convenience of recycling old bottles and food containers—from the weekly curbside collections to the “chasing arrows” markings on food and beverage packaging. But here’s the reality: Between 1990 and 2015, some 90 percent of plastics either ended up in a landfill, were burned, or leaked into the environment. Another recent study estimates that just 5 to 6 percent are successfully recycled."

But but but Migrants!

In most cases it increases profits, nothing else matters.

So tired of trying to educate some of you on this….

First, let’s talk about Plastic number 1. Classic example is a bottled water bottle. If you throw that in your recycling bin, it WILL be recycled into something else. Folks, I’ve been to the DSM recycling center, seen the operation, seen the giant (maybe 12 foot cubes) cubes of 1’s. They are sold, at a profit, and the plastic reused.

Same for the 2’s (milk jugs).

Overall, the recycling center estimates that only 20% of what comes in to it goes to the landfill (e.g. plastic clam shells for food).

Where the “only blah blah blah” percent of plastic gets recycled comes from is all the non-consumer (industrial) plastics. Work to do there.

But god dammit, stop spreading misinformation that hurts the cause,

Reactions: ericram
So tired of trying to educate some of you on this….

First, let’s talk about Plastic number 1. Classic example is a bottled water bottle. If you throw that in your recycling bin, it WILL be recycled into something else. Folks, I’ve been to the DSM recycling center, seen the operation, seen the giant (maybe 12 foot cubes) cubes of 1’s. They are sold, at a profit, and the plastic reused.

Same for the 2’s (milk jugs).

Overall, the recycling center estimates that only 20% of what comes in to it goes to the landfill (e.g. plastic clam shells for food).

Where the “only blah blah blah” percent of plastic gets recycled comes from is all the non-consumer (industrial) plastics. Work to do there.

But god dammit, stop spreading misinformation that hurts the cause,

Your data source is what?

Just force people to bring their own bags period.

Those damn bags are everywhere.

130+ uses from those reusable bags are needed in order to have a lower environmental impact than plastic bags. We all know that most people don't reuse those bags 130+ times

130+ uses from those reusable bags are needed in order to have a lower environmental impact than plastic bags. We all know that most people don't reuse those bags 130+ times

If people could not get the stupid single use plastic bags, that would change. Also there are more than one type of bag or container one could use.

If Hy-Vee would deliver using a reusable crate with a deposit, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Reactions: CubanB
Your data source is what?
My visit to the DSM recycling plant and what they told me and what I saw. Literally cubes of recycled plastic being loaded into semis for delivery to companies that bought them.

Now, maybe other places are different.

If people could not get the stupid single use plastic bags, that would change. Also there are more than one type of bag or container one could use.

If Hy-Vee would deliver using a reusable crate with a deposit, I would do that in a heartbeat.

They still get the plastic bags but even in this utopia where plastic bags dont exist, you have just created more environmental harm

It's not just a bad troll this time JR, it's a dumb one too

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
They still get the plastic bags but even in this utopia where plastic bags dont exist, you have just created more environmental harm

It's not just a bad troll this time JR, it's a dumb one too

You have zero data to back that up.

Europe does just fine..I saw this myself. It's not being a utopia. It's not having every little thing the most profitable option that benefits a small group of people.

All of you trashing me? Pun intended.

Where is your data in support of single use plastics?

My visit to the DSM recycling plant and what they told me and what I saw. Literally cubes of recycled plastic being loaded into semis for delivery to companies that bought them.

Now, maybe other places are different.

Ohhhhhhh....a guy told you.

We just need to send all those single-use plastics up into space.
What's the worst that could happen???

My town banned them. Damn, it took me and others awhile to remember to bring our bags in on every trip but after a month or so, everyone got used to it. And I feel pretty good about it. Small step, yes, but if it makes people a little more aware that we can all do a little bit, it’s a good thing.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
GF (no pic) is big on the reusable bags. Shes a wizard on getting $200 worth of stuff in about 4 to 5 bags

My town banned them. Damn, it took me and others awhile to remember to bring our bags in on every trip but after a month or so, everyone got used to it. And I feel pretty good about it. Small step, yes, but if it makes people a little more aware that we can all do a little bit, it’s a good thing.

Focus on single use plastics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT