ADVERTISEMENT

Ductless cooling and heating

General Tso

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2004
Anybody have ex experience with these systems? We use baseboard heat and window AC now. Ductless seams like a good option, but interested to hear from those who've used it. We'd need multi zone coverage.

Anybody have ex experience with these systems? We use baseboard heat and window AC now. Ductless seams like a good option, but interested to hear from those who've used it. We'd need multi zone coverage.

You talkin' multi-zone heat pumps?

Those work well in the right climate ranges; can be expensive to install for multi-zones, but they are pretty energy efficient. My folks installed one to turn a 3 season enclosed porch into a year-round plant room; single zone, though.

These things? Only when traveling abroad and they seem to work okay. And, you only have to turn them on in the areas you need it. Seems like a good option especially if running ducts is difficult.

PRO-smart-home-ac-setup-shutterstock_290444324-e1483636606426.jpg

These things? Only when traveling abroad and they seem to work okay. And, you only have to turn them on in the areas you need it. Seems like a good option especially if running ducts is difficult.

That is what my folks installed; that is the fan portion inside the room. The main heat pump is under the porch/deck, and you can get main units that connect to multiple room units.

Upfront cost is high; reliability is high and operational costs are low compared with window AC. I believe the higher cost ones are as or more efficient than typical central AC units.

Pay attention to the SEER rating; that's directly proportional to energy use costs.

A 28 SEER unit will use half the energy of a 14 SEER unit; it's the SEER ratio you're looking for. E.g. 22 SEER vs 16 SEER = 16/22 = 73% of the energy use, or 27% savings on both heating and cooling costs. Estimate those over time, and you'll find most higher SEER units pay for themselves in <10 years.

Basically a limited VRF system. We use the real thing quite regularly in commercial applications with good success. Make sure your installing contractor has done these systems before, there can be tricks to get them right. And if you're using hot water baseboard, I would go just AC only, not heat pump. If you're using electric baseboard, consider the heat pump option. You can have 1 thermostat control both, with the radiant starting automatically when the HP can't run anymore. I would certainly consider this system for a retrofit home where a duct system isn't installed.

Reactions: Joes Place

Correct, this is what I meant. Should have posted a pic.

Basically a limited VRF system. We use the real thing quite regularly in commercial applications with good success. Make sure your installing contractor has done these systems before, there can be tricks to get them right. And if you're using hot water baseboard, I would go just AC only, not heat pump. If you're using electric baseboard, consider the heat pump option. You can have 1 thermostat control both, with the radiant starting automatically when the HP can't run anymore. I would certainly consider this system for a retrofit home where a duct system isn't installed.
All helpful comments, thanks! We currently have electric baseboard, so sounds like heat pump option would be good

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
We are turning deck into a 3-seasons room. We were talking about adding a pump or something to heat/cool the space. Not sure it's worth the 5k though. Anyone done this and have thoughts vs regular 3-seasons room?

All helpful comments, thanks! We currently have electric baseboard, so sounds like heat pump option would be good
It would save you money in the shoulder seasons, when the temp is above about 40 but you need a little heat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT