ADVERTISEMENT

Dukie V

beerHAWKer

HR MVP
Gold Member
Dec 27, 2002
Has IOWA 14th in his preseason poll, I'm glad he's disrespecting us....it always works better that way and no mention of JBO as a returning starter.

He has them 12th, not 14th.

I'm not sure that ranking a team 12th in the preseason when that team has only been ranked in the preseason twice in the last twenty seasons, and finished ranked four times in those twenty seasons, is that disrespectful.

Meh, prove him wrong if worried about it. I’d much rather have them underrated and hungry than overrated and complacent.

Reactions: EKHawk
We're really complaining about someone ranking Iowa top 15 in their preseason rankings?

If they returned everyone from a B1G championship and, say, an Elite 8 berth, I'd get the disrespect angle. But after finishing tied for 5th...in the conference? I think they have a decent shot of E8/F4 this season (I'm hopeful about the D), but I'm not going to complain if people rank them just outside the top 10 to open the season.

Disrespect would be unranked or 23rd, not #12.

Reactions: WSC72 and NI hawk
As a youngster I couldn't wait for his magazine to come out. Doesn't really bother me where Hawks are picked in preseason polls.

Who cares? You don't need to look too hard to find a preseason poll that was way off base. Last season's AP Poll had UNC ranked 9th and Dayton and Creighton were nowhere to be found.

Vitale’s likely forgotten more about basketball than I’ll ever know, but he’s also begun his descent into senility. His opinion doesn’t really carry much weight to me anymore, and all he’s really good for behind the mic nowadays are his cliche exclamations and talking about Duke

His Top 4

Gonzaga
Villanova
Baylor
Virginia

Kansas at 6, Duke at 9 and UNC/KY both behind Iowa.

I was just joking on his obsession with Duke (and the other big name coaches/programs he is buddies with). I don't have a problem with him ranking Iowa 14th either. While I think Iowa could be a Final Four-type team, they have not been to the Final 4 in 40 years and they need to prove it with more consistent Defense. I could see them being ranked anywhere from 5 - 20 and wouldn't think any ranking in that range is unfair.

Reactions: SSG T
Vitale’s likely forgotten more about basketball than I’ll ever know, but he’s also begun his descent into senility. His opinion doesn’t really carry much weight to me anymore, and all he’s really good for behind the mic nowadays are his cliche exclamations and talking about Duke

He's just a few years older than Coach K. You'd have to imagine that the bulk of Duke's coaching is done by the assistance, and Coach K is more or less a figurehead these days.

He's just a few years older than Coach K. You'd have to imagine that the bulk of Duke's coaching is done by the assistance, and Coach K is more or less a figurehead these days.
I don’t know about all that... Coach K seems to be pretty sharp still

There are several things that annoy me about Dickie V, but the the worst is that he is more than willing to extol the virtues of his list of stellar coaches (Coach K, Boeheim, Pitino, Williams, Calipari, etc) without ever mentioning some of the cheating scandals they've been involved in.

He has become such a parody of himself, he is hard to listen to during a game. I usually turn off the sound.

tenor.gif

I don't like it when any announcer thinks they're bigger than the game. Or try's to make themselves bigger than the game. A good announcer (play-by-play) helps to keep the TV, radio, and internet, keeps the audience informed, but not entertained. The old-time announcers were masters of calling the game. Sure, there are times when something big happens and the announcers start to go a wee bit overly excited, but not as a general rule.

I'm going to predict, right now, that IOWA beats the badgers twice or however many times we
play then, this year.
I think Illinois will be a tougher win.
#goHawks

Has IOWA 14th in his preseason poll, I'm glad he's disrespecting us....it always works better that way and no mention of JBO as a returning starter.

Talk about low effort/low information posting. Your thread title is non-descript, and you couldn’t even be arsed to post a link to the article you are whining about. Then to top it all off, you get the information in the article (which you didn’t link) wrong!

D-

Do better.

Last edited:
Reactions: WSC72
I don't like it when any announcer thinks they're bigger than the game. Or try's to make themselves bigger than the game. A good announcer (play-by-play) helps to keep the TV, radio, and internet, keeps the audience informed, but not entertained. The old-time announcers were masters of calling the game. Sure, there are times when something big happens and the announcers start to go a wee bit overly excited, but not as a general rule.

While it's true Dukie V is a shameless, self-promoter, he's also done a TON of charity work and he has forgotten more about College Basketball than the combined memory of this entire board, so Dukie will forever be a College Basketball icon. Hoping that the Hawkeyes prove Dukie V to be wrong.

I definitely think this should be bulletin Board motivation for the Hawkeyes !!

#GoHawks

Reactions: qbxpx7
ADVERTISEMENT