ADVERTISEMENT

Dumbest move by a conference in the “Expansion Era”

What is the dumbest move in the “modern” expansion era starting with the ACC taking Miami and VT?

• Total voters
I now look for the B1G to get Oregon and Washington next to lock down TV markets for the entire West Coast, maybe Colorado as well, and make a play for Notre Dame. [Insert Iowa State joke here.]

Adding Maryland and Rutgers was a brilliant move that secured our conference and ensured we wouldn't be in the same position the Big 12 and pac 12 now faces.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
…….wait, you srs?
Absolutely serious. Anyone that doesn't think adding those two schools was brilliant is either stupid or clueless. It absolutely was the smartest thing that has been done to ensure the viability of this conference.

You are missing the "PAC 10 not taking Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M" option.

Starting in 2023, FSU will face UM, Clemson and 'Cuse every year. The other ACC foes will only be faced every other year or something like that.

ACC schools with grant of rights thru 2036. 😆 🤣 😂

I didn’t originally put it up because it definitely held the ACC together (other than losing Maryland which was a net win for the ACC as Louisville may be dirty but at least they win in multiple sports regularly) the first time. It’s definitely not a bad decision BY THE CONFERENCE and most of its members no matter how stupid it was for FSU to sign it without concessions on $$$ (ie we should get more now than Wake and Duke). But since several people put it, I added it.

Absolutely serious. Anyone that doesn't think adding those two schools was brilliant is either stupid or clueless. It absolutely was the smartest thing that has been done to ensure the viability of this conference.
Well, I don’t think I’m stupid or clueless….but I could be wrong. Maybe you’re actually brilliant….

It gave B1G a presence in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast markets. That's a pretty big deal.
I understand, but lets be real, neither Maryland or Rutgers have much of a following. Relatively of course. I mean Rutgers has been dogshit for as long as I can remember. Maryland is at least a decent basketball school.

A lot of people will say adding Rutgers and Maryland. But it’s not a coincidence the payouts exploded after adding them.
Yep, the fan in me wanted to vote that, but in reality it's probably one of the better moves on that list.

I understand, but lets be real, neither Maryland or Rutgers have much of a following. Relatively of course. I mean Rutgers has been dogshit for as long as I can remember. Maryland is at least a decent basketball school.
The B1G doesn’t care how many people actually watch Rutgers or Maryland on tv. All they care about is the number of new subscribers to BTN on every basic cable package in New York City, Baltimore, and the DC metro area.

The B1G doesn’t care how many people actually watch Rutgers or Maryland on tv. All they care about is the number of new subscribers to BTN on every basic cable package in New York City, Baltimore, and the DC metro area.
True, still, was Maryland and Rutgers the best they could poach? I mean, cmon…..

Reactions: The Tradition
The ACC GOR is the runaway winner. The other choices listed are not even in the same league.

The Big Ten is on the brink of signing a TV deal that will pay each member institution 100 mill+ a year no additions hurt the product
The SEC has signed and will negotiate a new deal in a couple of years that will have member institutions receiving over 100 mill+ a year, no additions hurt the product

The ACC signed and extended an ok deal for TWENTY freaking years at the exact time people started talking about how this new streaming thing would change media forever. The powers that be in the ACC placed all their hopes in the ACC Network but failed to secure the largest cable company in the country prior to having people sign away media rights. This is an all-time bad business decision, the ACC is the New Coke of college football

Last edited:
The ACC GOR is the runaway winner. The other choices listed are not even in the same league.

The Big Ten is on the brink of signing a TV deal that will pay each member institution 100 mill+ a year no additions hurt the product
The SEC has signed and will negotiate a new deal in a couple of years that will have member institutions receiving over 100 mill+ a year, no additions hurt the product

The ACC signed and extended an ok deal for TWENTY freaking years at the exact time people started talking about how this new streaming thing would change media forever. The powers that be in the ACC placed all their hopes in the ACC Network but failed to secure the largest cable company in the country prior to having people sign away media rights. This is an all-time bad business decision, the ACC is the New Coke of college football
T
Yeesh, I knew nothing about all of this. Clearly the worst by a large margin. I changed my poll choices accordingly.

Wanna join the B10, Noles fans?

It’s about getting the money from every basic cable and entry level streaming package. Millions and millions of people are giving the Big10 schools money that never watch a second of sports.

Maryland and Rutgers was the best move.

Nebraska was the worst.

it’s about the money. Period, end of discussion.

Reactions: QChawks
Yeesh, I knew nothing about all of this. Clearly the worst by a large margin. I changed my poll choices accordingly.

Between the two, possibly three (ie an amalgamation of the PAC, Big 12 and ACC remnants becoming a tier 1.5 conference) options, I do think the Big is the best remaining option.

Academically, FSU fits in better with the Big Ten than the SEC. Here’s the football schools academic rankings with the Big in Bold and SEC in italics.

9 Northwestern
14 Vanderbilt
20 UCLA
23 Michigan
27 USC(w)

28 Florida
38 Texas

42 Wisconsin
47 Illinois

48 Georgia
49 Ohio State
49 Purdue
55 FSU
59 Maryland
63 Ped State
63 Rutgers
68 Indiana

68 aTm
68 Minnesota
83 Michigan State
83 Iowa

99 Auburn
103 Tennessee
117 USC(e)
122 Missouri
127 Kentucky
127 Oklahoma

136 Nebraska
148 Alabama
148 Ole Miss
162 Arkansas
172 LSU
196 Mississippi State

And FSU means more to the Big Ten as it adds new markets and access to fertile recruiting grounds while its duplicative to the SEC teams.

Yes
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT