ADVERTISEMENT

Dumbest move by a conference in the “Expansion Era”

What is the dumbest move in the “modern” expansion era starting with the ACC taking Miami and VT?

• Total voters
The ACC GOR is probably the only thing preventing a total spiral to super conferences right now, so depending on how you feel about that it’s either great or terrible. Like Clemson and Miami are probably cursing it right now because they want their seat in the SEC already. But schools like Wake Forest probably see it as the only thing saving them from relegation to the leftover leagues.

Does anyone think the ACC could have gotten a media deal to compete with the SEC and prevent teams from leaving if the GOR had been handled differently? Kind of seems like just delaying the inevitable.

I happened to be deep into SEC country yesterday and was listening to local sports radio. To summarize, they want Missouri out of the conference because, well, Missouri adds nothing to the conference. And one of the hosts, a former NFL player, said that with the addition of USC and UCLA that the Big Ten should change its name because they now have more than 10 teams. I actually laughed at that comment.

Today the ACC rights thing is the worst. But I think the ACC dies a slow death because of that and in the long run becomes just a major speed bump in the history of college football.

In the future, I think the Big Ten adding Nebraska moves up the list to the top since the Big Ten isn’t going anywhere. They are an anchor on the conference in so many sports and academically since they lost AAU status. Plus they’re in the smallest state in the conference by far so they aren’t bringing in their fair share of TV sets. The only thing they bring is a bunch of wins for other teams and making it so that Iowa isn’t the worst school in the conference.

Imagine if ND or Texas had decided to pull the trigger on joining the Big Ten instead of Nebraska. Either brings significantly more prestige and TV sets.

If ND joins back then I don’t think all of this conference realignment moves as fast as it has since the Nebby announcement is what set off Colorado and Mizzou moving, which set off WVU moving, which led to the demise of the Big East and other Big Ten, PAC 10, SEC, and now Big 12 expansions.

If Texas joins back then, it shows that remote schools can do well and accelerates the timeline for the USC, UCLA, Maryland, and possibly Rutgers moves. Plus then may be enough to get ND to finally jump on board.

Seriously, how could anyone sign that ACC TV deal with the crappy payout to each team and then tie your school to it thru 2036? None of the other poll choices come close to that for stupid.

Absolutely serious. Anyone that doesn't think adding those two schools was brilliant is either stupid or clueless. It absolutely was the smartest thing that has been done to ensure the viability of this conference.
New York City, Baltimore Washington, and even Philadelphia. That’s what Rutgers and Maryland brought. And probably should include Penn State in that mix because Their Fanbase on the East Coast is huge.

and by far the two biggest fan bases on the West Coast are UCLA and USC. Remains to be seen weather Oregon and Washington, or either Cal or Stanford might be in the mix for the Big Ten. Zero chance schools with the prestige of Stanford and Cal would even consider joining the big 12 because it would be an embarrassment to them.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
The ACC GOR is probably the only thing preventing a total spiral to super conferences right now, so depending on how you feel about that it’s either great or terrible. Like Clemson and Miami are probably cursing it right now because they want their seat in the SEC already. But schools like Wake Forest probably see it as the only thing saving them from relegation to the leftover leagues.

Does anyone think the ACC could have gotten a media deal to compete with the SEC and prevent teams from leaving if the GOR had been handled differently? Kind of seems like just delaying the inevitable.

The ACC absolutely would have been more competitive. In the one sport that matters to anyone outside of those stupid local yokels on Tobacco Road, the ACC had (and still does) more national titles in the modern era than any conference not named the SEC. But it was more important for Swofford to throw a bone to his kid (who was running Raycom sports) and allow second tier rights to go to Raycom than to leverage a good deal with ESPN and create a Network 5 years earlier.

Surprised this isn’t the runaway winner.

I'm actually surprised so many Iowa fans voted for this option. Without it, Iowa football would still be viewed as Nebraska's bitch. This allowed Iowa to rewrite the script.

All Nebraska brought to the B1G was a bunch of obnoxious fans.
All of the ones I’ve met have been lovely, friendly people. Have you been to a game in Lincoln?

Pretty prestigious football team, dynasty volleyball team, need to up their academics but maybe it’s just that they don’t have a medical center in Lincoln.

you don’t have to love them to admit they’ve got some clout

Today the ACC rights thing is the worst. But I think the ACC dies a slow death because of that and in the long run becomes just a major speed bump in the history of college football.

In the future, I think the Big Ten adding Nebraska moves up the list to the top since the Big Ten isn’t going anywhere. They are an anchor on the conference in so many sports and academically since they lost AAU status. Plus they’re in the smallest state in the conference by far so they aren’t bringing in their fair share of TV sets. The only thing they bring is a bunch of wins for other teams and making it so that Iowa isn’t the worst school in the conference.

Imagine if ND or Texas had decided to pull the trigger on joining the Big Ten instead of Nebraska. Either brings significantly more prestige and TV sets.

If ND joins back then I don’t think all of this conference realignment moves as fast as it has since the Nebby announcement is what set off Colorado and Mizzou moving, which set off WVU moving, which led to the demise of the Big East and other Big Ten, PAC 10, SEC, and now Big 12 expansions.

If Texas joins back then, it shows that remote schools can do well and accelerates the timeline for the USC, UCLA, Maryland, and possibly Rutgers moves. Plus then may be enough to get ND to finally jump on board.
So, Iowa would be the “worst” school in the conference if not for Nebraska? You a troll bro?

So, Iowa would be the “worst” school in the conference if not for Nebraska? You a troll bro?
Not a troll. I’m 80% done with my 2nd degree from Iowa, so I’m very invested. But Iowa as a university ranked at the bottom of the conference before Nebraska joined.

In the US News rankings we’re tied with MSU and a bit behind Indiana and Minnesota. All of us way ahead of Nebby. The two new schools slot in way ahead of us in the rankings. Yes it is just one ranking, but we are not in the middle of the pack academically, we’re in the bottom tier of the conference. That isn’t bad though considering how good so many of the Big Ten schools are.

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...ols-rank-among-the-2017-us-news-best-colleges

Not a troll. I’m 80% done with my 2nd degree from Iowa, so I’m very invested. But Iowa as a university ranked at the bottom of the conference before Nebraska joined.

In the US News rankings we’re tied with MSU and a bit behind Indiana and Minnesota. All of us way ahead of Nebby. The two new schools slot in way ahead of us in the rankings. Yes it is just one ranking, but we are not in the middle of the pack academically, we’re in the bottom tier of the conference. That isn’t bad though considering how good so many of the Big Ten schools are.

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...ols-rank-among-the-2017-us-news-best-colleges
Ok, you should probably have clarified your statement was based solely on academic ranking. And I agree, it’s pretty sad.

If FSU somehow went to Big 20, there would almost have to be some main stream sports articles about HORT.

ADVERTISEMENT