ADVERTISEMENT

Dune: Part Two

Been getting really good reviews- might go Sunday. I do not like going to the theatre though
Depends on the theater. We had an old, original, Alamo Drafthouse I used to go to. There was a little comic book store inside, and it had a very old vintage style with reclining seats and the best chips and queso on earth.

I spent a lot of time there on evenings I needed to transition to the night shift and while going through my divorce. Covid killed that location, though. :(

Now, I just go to Flix Brewhouse and sit in the back.

Probably taking the kid to see it this weekend. Gotta get one of the weird popcorn buckets!

dune2popcornbucket__1_.jpg

Depends on the theater. We had an old, original, Alamo Drafthouse I used to go to. There was a little comic book store inside, and it had a very old vintage style with reclining seats and the best chips and queso on earth.

I spent a lot of time there on evenings I needed to transition to the night shift and while going through my divorce. Covid killed that location, though. :(

Now, I just go to Flix Brewhouse and sit in the back.
I wanted to go to the Imax today but it's packed already for all showings. I think I may take a day off next week.

Seems that it it will be pretty f'ing amazing.

Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
Been getting really good reviews
Yup. Stellar reviews! Can't wait. I just watched the first one again a few weeks ago to refresh my old brain.

Been getting really good reviews- might go Sunday. I do not like going to the theatre though
I feel this so much. I used to love going to the movies. I actually used to work at a movie theater and it was the best job for any high school kid.

Now it's just kind of a pain due to the glowing screens.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I feel this so much. I used to love going to the movies. I actually used to work at a movie theater and it was the best job for any high school kid.

Yeah it’s sort of sensory overload for me- maybe I’m old man yelling out cloud gif now. But, it’s too loud and bright for me haha

Yeah it’s sort of sensory overload for me- maybe I’m old man yelling out cloud gif now. But, it’s too loud and bright for me haha
I love going to movies but only if it's not packed. I like the apps now where you can get an idea of how many people will be there. As far as being too bright/loud, haven't experienced that but sure I will. I remember taking my dad to the Lincoln movie and he was holding his hands over his ears because it was too loud.

Reactions: TennNole17
I get really frustrated by the other people being on their phones during the movies. To the point where I become a lot more "assertive" about suggesting that they turn their MF phones off, or GTFO. I don't get why you'd pay a bunch of money to go see a movie in the theater, and then sit there on your phone.

They tried out direct-to-streaming movies during covid - I wonder if we don't eventually get there for most/all movies. TVs are now so big and so good that the difference between seeing a movie at home and in a theater is shrinking.

I only go to the early morning showings at like 9-11am. Been doing this for a decade and it's usually pretty dead, so nobody on their phone or being loud or crinkling wrappers, etc. Oh, it's less expensive too.

I get really frustrated by the other people being on their phones during the movies. To the point where I become a lot more "assertive" about suggesting that they turn their MF phones off, or GTFO. I don't get why you'd pay a bunch of money to go see a movie in the theater, and then sit there on your phone.

They tried out direct-to-streaming movies during covid - I wonder if we don't eventually get there for most/all movies. TVs are now so big and so good that the difference between seeing a movie at home and in a theater is shrinking.
I assumed the reference was to the movie screen. But idiots looking at their phones in a movie theater is a huge issue with me. Or people talking out loud. Nothing like having essentially a flashlight in your eyes while watching a movie.

Might be the best SF book of all time. Loved it.

I am happy I saw the movie prior to reading the book. Herbert’s word use and verbiage sometimes left me trying to picture certain items, actions, scenery, etc. seeing the movie first really helped me visualize his words.

On a side note and I think this might be a common theme but George Lucas absolutely stole or took some liberties from Dune. There are too many comparisons.

Yup. Stellar reviews! Can't wait. I just watched the first one again a few weeks ago to refresh my old brain.

This; I feel like I need to re-watch the first movie to help rid my memory cells of the first two iterations of the book. I can't wait for this, especially reading the reviews.

Saw it tonight. Thought it was very good but wondered why they dropped the weirding way fighting and his sisters birth.

On a tangent, I’m surprised Fox News hasn’t come out against it with all the muslim imagery.

Saw it tonight. Thought it was very good but wondered why they dropped the weirding way fighting and his sisters birth.

On a tangent, I’m surprised Fox News hasn’t come out against it with all the muslim imagery.

They didn’t drop the Weirding Way, in the first movie they even call Jessica a “Weirding Woman” after she easily defeats Stilgar an Elite Fremen warrior. They just follow the book where the Weirding Way is described as “Weirding Way could move at blinding speeds in close-quarters battle by using quick movements spurred on by an individual's shifting of their perception of space-time. This shift brings an increased understanding of cause and effect relationships and therefore give the practitioner the ability to forecast their opponent's movements and vulnerabilities.” So it just means that Jessica and Paul would fight quickly and seeming to know exactly what their opponent will do. Showing it as a voice projectile weapon was something made up only for the cheesy 80s movie.

As far as portraying the sisters birth, Denis Villeneuve said he didn’t want a time jump. Why I don’t know because having two movies would have been perfect for a time jump and you could have started Part Two with montage of Paul leading his three year war against the Harkonnen. Denis didnt state it but he also may have avoided the three year war to avoid having to show Paul‘s sister as this weird talking toddler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT