ADVERTISEMENT

Dusty Baker’s toothpicks are headed to the Hall of Fame

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Baseball Hall of Fame on Thursday revealed the items donated by the champion Houston Astros for its “Autumn Glory” exhibit, a tribute to the postseason at the Cooperstown, N.Y., museum.

Among the items are Justin Verlander’s spikes from Game 5, the jersey World Series MVP Jeremy Peña wore in Game 1 and a box of manager Dusty Baker’s toothpicks.

No, really.

Who knew Baker’s toothpicks would make it to the Hall before Barry Bonds?

Astros manager Dusty Baker watches from the dugout during the eighth inning in Game 3 of an American League Division Series against the Mariners on  Oct. 15, 2022, in Seattle.

Astros manager Dusty Baker watches from the dugout during the eighth inning in Game 3 of an American League Division Series against the Mariners on Oct. 15, 2022, in Seattle. (Ted S. Warren / AP)
Baker’s jersey and wrist bands also will be on display, but the toothpicks undoubtedly be the main attraction at the new exhibit. A Hall of Fame spokesperson confirmed they are “the first toothpicks ever to enter the HOF’s collection.”

Was if Baker’s idea or the Hall’s?

“Hey, man, they asked me for those toothpicks,” Baker said during a break from a surfing vacation with his family in Hawaii. “I didn’t give them to them.”

So were the toothpicks actually chewed by Baker during the World Series, or were they unchewed ones from an opened box?

“It was in a box, but they wanted me to send them some chewed ones too,” he said. “I was like, ‘Nah, man.’ They may advertise them at the Hall as chewed, you know what I mean?”

Baker uses an Australian-made birchwood toothpick that’s infused with tea tree oil. It’s the same brand he used in Chicago when he managed the Cubs. In fact, Baker has been chewing on them since he began managing the San Francisco Giants in 1993.

“Tea Tree Australian chewing sticks,” Baker said. “Same ones.”

According to a Tribune report by Charles Leroux in 2003, the company claimed the oil “has many curative and restorative powers.”

“My agent years ago called them and asked if I could endorse them for a fee,” Baker said with a laugh. “They told him they don’t need anybody to endorse them because people are going to use toothpicks anyway. Maybe they’ll change their minds by now.”

Baker said his dad was a longtime toothpick user who handed down the tradition. He prefers the Australian chewing sticks for his periodontal needs because “they don’t splinter” and one side is blunt. During COVID-19 protocols he wore a mask and could only use the toothpicks briefly in the dugout. He said he never has accidentally poked the inside of his mouth with an inadvertent toothpick twirl.

Before the call ended, Baker admitted his surfing days are over. His his son, Darren, was out on his surfboard while Dusty looked out on the ocean from his hotel room.

Nevertheless, it’s apparent Dusty is still riding the wave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT