ADVERTISEMENT

Early 2023 Wishlist

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Next year's class could go down as one of the Hawkeyes best. They have had a lot of their target/offers visit multiple times.

The 2022 class is not complete and we have a long time until 2023's early signing day but it is fun to speculate what might be. I will go down the list with a few thoughts.

QB - Lainey - 4 star - verbal commit
RB - Feagin - 4 star - has visited several times, 4 hrs to IA Cty, 45 min. to Champaign, Illinois wants him bad, ND could be at top of his list
WR - Kasper - 4 star - hawk legacy, visited multiple times, tall and athetic - like our chances but a lot of top offers
Mota - 3 star - not sure if he is WR or DB - Eastern Iowa kid, hoping Hawks can get him
TE - Black - 3 star - love his size and speed, high school WR who projects TE. Has visited multiple times
Markway - 4 star - big, sure handed, good blocking TE, Dad played TE at Iowa, too many big offers but would love to get him
OL - Proctor - 5 star - tackle who is the top in-state prospect, an early commitment may help Hawks pull in several other top lineman
Jagush - 4 star - great offer list, an hour from Iowa city, ND could be tough to beat
Burgess - 4 star - called Iowa O-line U, like his mobility and size
Green - 4 star - great size and mobility, see him as a guard, Oklahoma and Missouri will be tough to beat.

On defense there are some great prospects and two very good earl commits

DL - M B-Johnson - 3 - star but underrated, really like this Young man's size and power - verbal commit
Gant - 3 - star - camped at Iowa and has visited several times, another stout d-tackle prospect
De Paepe - 4 star - has kept things close to the vest, great motor, and quick off the line, hope we keep him home
LB - This is and area of need, Kueter - 3 - star, if he wrestles will be a DL, but his film reminds me of our current Mike LBer
Newsom - 3- star - In-state kid, brothers at NE, hopefully he stays home. Good looking OLB
McCluster - 4 - star - visited for Penn State, I see cash written all over this Young man, great speed
DB - Carter - 3 - star - good looking CB, may be hard to pull from Florida
Patton - 3 - star - solid safety prospect but ISU may have the lean currently
Delong - really like this young man from Durant, currently not ranked

This list has a tremendous amount of star quality, will be interesting how things pan out. Go Hawks!

Another elite wrestler added to the Iowa line, damn I hope Iowa has a solid shot with this kid.

Just read a good article about this young man. Unfortunately it sounds like the Hawks are on the outside, looking in for his commitment. Has Michigan, ND and Oklahoma at the top. Also mentions Arkansas and Missouri. Sounds like he really liked his Michigan visit. Rock Island is an hour from Iowa City, too bad he's not interested in the Hawks.

Just read a good article about this young man. Unfortunately it sounds like the Hawks are on the outside, looking in for his commitment. Has Michigan, ND and Oklahoma at the top. Also mentions Arkansas and Missouri. Sounds like he really liked his Michigan visit. Rock Island is an hour from Iowa City, too bad he's not interested in the Hawks.
Plenty of time, and he's been to Iowa 3 times already.

Agree, I don't feel good about this one but I felt that way about X. Ground to make up but the Iowa coaches will try hard.

Proctor and Burgess would be huge gets, so would Green but that will be tough.

Forget about DePaepe not gonna happen, I've moved on.

Love Gant want him badly.

Kueter is a lber all the way.

Reactions: David1979
Next year's class could go down as one of the Hawkeyes best. They have had a lot of their target/offers visit multiple times.

The 2022 class is not complete and we have a long time until 2023's early signing day but it is fun to speculate what might be. I will go down the list with a few thoughts.

QB - Lainey - 4 star - verbal commit
RB - Feagin - 4 star - has visited several times, 4 hrs to IA Cty, 45 min. to Champaign, Illinois wants him bad, ND could be at top of his list
WR - Kasper - 4 star - hawk legacy, visited multiple times, tall and athetic - like our chances but a lot of top offers
Mota - 3 star - not sure if he is WR or DB - Eastern Iowa kid, hoping Hawks can get him
TE - Black - 3 star - love his size and speed, high school WR who projects TE. Has visited multiple times
Markway - 4 star - big, sure handed, good blocking TE, Dad played TE at Iowa, too many big offers but would love to get him
OL - Proctor - 5 star - tackle who is the top in-state prospect, an early commitment may help Hawks pull in several other top lineman
Jagush - 4 star - great offer list, an hour from Iowa city, ND could be tough to beat
Burgess - 4 star - called Iowa O-line U, like his mobility and size
Green - 4 star - great size and mobility, see him as a guard, Oklahoma and Missouri will be tough to beat.

On defense there are some great prospects and two very good earl commits

DL - M B-Johnson - 3 - star but underrated, really like this Young man's size and power - verbal commit
Gant - 3 - star - camped at Iowa and has visited several times, another stout d-tackle prospect
De Paepe - 4 star - has kept things close to the vest, great motor, and quick off the line, hope we keep him home
LB - This is and area of need, Kueter - 3 - star, if he wrestles will be a DL, but his film reminds me of our current Mike LBer
Newsom - 3- star - In-state kid, brothers at NE, hopefully he stays home. Good looking OLB
McCluster - 4 - star - visited for Penn State, I see cash written all over this Young man, great speed
DB - Carter - 3 - star - good looking CB, may be hard to pull from Florida
Patton - 3 - star - solid safety prospect but ISU may have the lean currently
Delong - really like this young man from Durant, currently not ranked

This list has a tremendous amount of star quality, will be interesting how things pan out. Go Hawks!
You can take DePaepe off that list.

My top ten list of guys I would like Iowa to get (not counting the guys already committed)
1. Kyler Kasper
2. Kadyn Proctor
3. Kaden Feagin
4. Mac Markway
5. Jamison Patton
6. Alex Mota
7. Cayden Green
8. Tyler Gant
9. Adepoju Adebaore
10. Joshua Manning or Ricky Ahumaraeze

My top ten list of guys I would like Iowa to get (not counting the guys already committed)
1. Kyler Kasper
2. Kadyn Proctor
3. Kaden Feagin
4. Mac Markway
5. Jamison Patton
6. Alex Mota
7. Cayden Green
8. Tyler Gant
9. Adepoju Adebaore
10. Joshua Manning or Ricky Ahumaraeze
no Kai Black?

Nope. He is my #2 TE want but also don't think Iowa has a great chance there.
Is he fully projected to play TE? I saw he ran a 4.6 40 last year, he seems to high point the ball fairly well from his highlight videos. I'm guessing TE is based more on speed?

Is he fully projected to play TE? I saw he ran a 4.6 40 last year, he seems to high point the ball fairly well from his highlight videos. I'm guessing TE is based more on speed?
Not sure. I thought that’s what Iowa had offered him as but maybe not?

Any wish list, any year, that doesn't begin with hiring the best OC available and giving him (or her) carte blanche to overhaul Iowa's 123rd-best "offense" isn't worth the pixels used to print it. IMHO, of course.

Iowa had a great slot receiver playing RB the last two seasons while actual RBs collected splinters and Iowa coaches continued to lament the lack of a successful rushing attack. (You may remember back when KF did that with Damon Bullock too, and then with Mark Weisman, a FB doing his best to imitate a RB, but that's damn tough to do on those slow stretch plays. KF did it anyway, just to give a couple more examples.)

Why wish for four-star QBs who will be told to follow the same script KF wrote 23 years ago or else?
Why wish for four-star WRs and then have them run the most unsophisticated patterns in college football behind a QB who can't get them the ball.

I could go on, of course, but why bother. Some of you get it; some of you don't. KF has accomplished some fine things with the program Hayden Fry built from less than zero, but his stubborn refusal to hire an OC equivalent to his DCs remains his undoing. (His bank account is doing just great though.) So wish all you want about recruits. I keep wishing for a contemporary offense and an OC who knows how to exploit it. But that's probably just me.

Last edited:
This kid is coming in for a visit this weekend. Iowa hasn't offered yet but wonder if he gets one on the visit?

Saw that couple of '24 kids are coming as well. Cam Williams and Titus Cram.

Reactions: squeezebox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT