ADVERTISEMENT

Early B10 Power Rankings.....wow

Wow is right. 10th? I have us a lot higher than that.

I went back and at the end of the article you can read comments......if you haven't done that, those comments seem to recognize the possibility that Iowa is better than projected. Maybe someone posting is an Iowa fan, but I didn't recognize anyone.

I went back and at the end of the article you can read comments......if you haven't done that, those comments seem to recognize the possibility that Iowa is better than projected. Maybe someone posting is an Iowa fan, but I didn't recognize anyone.
"Random Name" (apparently more familiar with IA and WI that perhaps the author) draws flattering comparisons between a FF4 team and Iowa's 2017 squad.

Reactions: Ree4 and perryhawk
10th certainly seems on the low side, but it's not ridiculously off the mark.
somewhere in the 6-8 range would be more reasonable.

Not intended to bash, because in the end you could be right, but I do think it's ridiculously off the mark.

Outside of JB getting injured this team will contend for a much higher finish. I agree with the 2-8 range and my best guess is 4th or 5th place.

I can't wait for the season!

Reactions: hawk-i bob
No problem, perry.
I'm looking forward to the season. Iowa basketball is fun to watch again. I hope to get to a half dozen or more games this year.

I just see them more in the 6-8 spot in the landscape of what is coming back in the B1G.

Reactions: perryhawk
Writer points out all of the other great second-year classes (and there were several), but seems to forget that Iowa was the only team with two players on the all-freshman team. Iowa had five freshmen playing significant minutes. Hard to see how you wouldn't expect a step up in play from those guys for the coming year.

From the outside I could see someone thinking we're losing our top scorer, we aren't a good team defensively, and we lack size in the middle. We had problems getting the ball off the defensive glass most of the year, have no real back up point guard, and have no go to superstar.

We are in the PTL mode thinking our bigs will rectify the size issue and help the defense and rebounding. We believe we will have no problem replacing Jok's scoring.

We expect J Bo not to wear down and to put up the same numbers with increased defensive pressure. We are counting on significant contributions from our 2 freshman who come in without top 50 type billings.

I don't agree with 10th, but we have a lot to do to challenge for the top 3. It's the season for optomistic thoughts and I love our potential, but there are likely some bumps in the road ahead.

I don't get bent out of shape by preseason rankings. It is end of year ones that count. High rankings at the beginning means you won't have many upsets and you hear the chants of OVER-RATED after a loss!

From the outside I could see someone thinking we're losing our top scorer, we aren't a good team defensively, and we lack size in the middle. We had problems getting the ball off the defensive glass most of the year, have no real back up point guard, and have no go to superstar.

We are in the PTL mode thinking our bigs will rectify the size issue and help the defense and rebounding. We believe we will have no problem replacing Jok's scoring.

We expect J Bo not to wear down and to put up the same numbers with increased defensive pressure. We are counting on significant contributions from our 2 freshman who come in without top 50 type billings.

I don't agree with 10th, but we have a lot to do to challenge for the top 3. It's the season for optomistic thoughts and I love our potential, but there are likely some bumps in the road ahead.

I hear you. Kind of like when climbing a tree and one hears a mother's voice yelling, "Get down from there!" :) And yeah it makes sense but when you aren't looking I'm climbing right back up that tree.

Iowa in a fight for second all season long....and IF we get lucky and don't play Michigan State twice...and the one time is in Carver...I'm hoping for all of it, Big Ten Championship!!! My prediction...somewhere between 1 and 4.

Reactions: DewHawk
Matt Norlander is obviously a meth addict who lives in his mom's basement.

No way he watches the PTL. If he did, he would have Iowa rated anywhere from first to no lower than fourth not only for this season but for the next three seasons. (Fourth now, Danny? You sure you don't want to stick with third?).

No worries, hawkfans! Danny and Bobby watch the PTL (together...lolz). Those dudes know basketball. Read their column instead.

I don't get bent out of shape by preseason rankings. It is end of year ones that count. High rankings at the beginning means you won't have many upsets and you hear the chants of OVER-RATED after a loss!

I'm much less worried for basketball season than football season when it comes to pre-season ratings.

Last edited:
Not sure how to post this link so I just cut and pasted.....but they have Iowa way down the list. Not much respect shown here at all.

I'm not big into this, but if I were on the Iowa team this would piss me off. It would give me a chip on the shoulder. Hopefully that is what it does.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-miles-bridges-michigan-state-is-back-on-top/
Developmental programs (like Iowa) are often underrated because a big part of how national critics rank teams is recruiting and who you've lost. Unfortunately and ironically, this can affect recruiting for those programs, as kids often go for the spotlight even if that's not what's best for them. Fortunately for this Iowa team, 2018 recruiting is over. And this team is set up to overachieve their recruiting and team losses. If there are no key injuries, this team is certainly top half of the B1G. Depending on how fast the kids come along, it will be on the upper end of that. As a long time fan, this feels like a team that's going to achieve something unexpected.

Reactions: Carlton
It says in his bio that he covers the NBA draft. Every time I read an NBA scout's take on Peter, they were blunt and called him a one dimensional shooter. This guy has probably heard the same thing.

So since he placed Iowa low and mentioned Peter leaving, does that mean he thinks Iowa can't shoot?

No way he watches the PTL. If he did, he would have Iowa rated anywhere from first to no lower than fourth not only for this season but for the next three seasons. (Fourth now, Danny? You sure you don't want to stick with third?).

No worries, hawkfans! Danny and Bobby watch the PTL (together...lolz). Those dudes know basketball. Read their column instead.

Here is a good reason why I laugh so much at SirAnnoying:

"Don't understand why it will take 3 years. There's a top 15 class coming in. We should know in the first year what we're going to get as far as coaching. If the high school kids like what they see, he'll be fine. If not, Whitman won't wait too long to take corrective action.

P.S. I haven't seen a single post that suggests "Illini fans are certain they just found the answer to all their woes." If you look at the reaction around the basketball world, you'll see people are pretty much unanimous in thinking this was a good hire for Illinois.

Time will tell but it will be less than 3 years."

That was from March 19th. Just a quick check of 247sports and that ranking is now #30. The 6" thick skull surrounding SirIllini's tiny brain just doesn't allow for reality to penetrate.

Why does it matter where some dude from CBS picked us? It just means we are under the radar to some outsiders and his homework was probably.... look at Iowa last year now subtract Jok at 20 pts per game.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I want a thin skull like yours so I can be a basketball expert too. Would love to be a fly on the wall for some of those deep conversations you and bobby have while watching the PTL games. I bet a guy could learn so much in just a few minutes from listening to that kind of expertise. Matt Norlander could benefit.

#30 (#3 in league, 3 spots above Iowa) ... not bad. Here's the difference between you and me -- I don't think Illinois is a lock to finish in the top 3 of the league for the next 3 years in a row (or is it 4 now? haha).

Do you and bobby go down to the diner after the PTL games and share a chocolate malt together (one glass two straws)? "Good malt, huh, Dan?"

"The best, bob. Just like the Hawks!!"

"Hey... remember that time in Madison when it was 25 below and Lute was coach and Iowa was better than Wisconsin?... darn... I think I just pooped myself."

"Again, bob?"
You're on an Iowa board. We like the Hawks and dislike Illinois. If you ain't cool with it, then GTFO.

Not sure how to post this link so I just cut and pasted.....but they have Iowa way down the list. Not much respect shown here at all.

I'm not big into this, but if I were on the Iowa team this would piss me off. It would give me a chip on the shoulder. Hopefully that is what it does.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-miles-bridges-michigan-state-is-back-on-top/

Bulletin board material!! Right before practicing for Europe. On a loaded team with maximum competition for everyone, but JBo. Our guys will be battling and striving for improvements, just to get a few minutes of playing time. Love it!

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk

Geez, that horrible smell is back!!

Reactions: ZumaHawk
I want a thin skull like yours so I can be a basketball expert too. Would love to be a fly on the wall for some of those deep conversations you and bobby have while watching the PTL games. I bet a guy could learn so much in just a few minutes from listening to that kind of expertise. Matt Norlander could benefit.

#30 (#3 in league, 3 spots above Iowa) ... not bad. Here's the difference between you and me -- I don't think Illinois is a lock to finish in the top 3 of the league for the next 3 years in a row (or is it 4 now? haha).

Do you and bobby go down to the diner after the PTL games and share a chocolate malt together (one glass two straws)? "Good malt, huh, Dan?"

"The best, bob. Just like the Hawks!!"

"Hey... remember that time in Madison when it was 25 below and Lute was coach and Iowa was better than Wisconsin?... darn... I think I just pooped myself."

"Again, bob?"

I don't care that you are an illini dbag, this is quality stuff right here.

Let the whole world think we're nothing special and nothing to be concerned about. It makes the look on their faces so much more priceless when the Hawkeyes run them off the court. I can't wait.
Amen! Print that sucker and post it all over the Carver club house. Go Hawks!

Sedge

the mods should keep this pinned to the top

10th place? yikes. i don't see it, not with 4 starters returning.

I guess, too, it will matter who we play twice (just 5 teams) and who we play just once (4 on the road, 4 at home)

the mods should keep this pinned to the top

10th place? yikes. i don't see it, not with 4 starters returning.

I guess, too, it will matter who we play twice (just 5 teams) and who we play just once (4 on the road, 4 at home)

I figured it out once down to only one team questionable. I'll see if I can find the info in my stack of figurin's.

ADVERTISEMENT