ADVERTISEMENT

Early Enrollees

Enrolling early helps immensely. I think all of these guys have a great chance of seeing the field in the fall of 2022.

Crawford will have a real uphill battle at DE given guys like Waggoner, Evans, Craig, Hurkett, Llewellen, Reames, Bowie, and maybe even Van Ness slides outside some. also have Graves coming in to compete with.

Reactions: dbrocket
Does anyone recall who enrolled early last year? I’m thinking Bruce, Keagan Johnson, and Colby all did. Worked out well for them. Any others?

Kf is showing if you want to play early..you better have your crap together and graduate in December....I love seeing that...
Fair enough.

Or,
(1) Enjoy your entire senior year of high school with a short Summer vacation;
(2) Red shirt your freshman year at Iowa. and let your body grow/develop; and
(3) Focus on good academic habits your first year of school.

Nothing wrong with that, too, if you're patient.

Last edited:
Crawford will have a real uphill battle at DE given guys like Waggoner, Evans, Craig, Hurkett, Llewellen, Reames, Bowie, and maybe even Van Ness slides outside some. also have Graves coming in to compete with.
The bigger issue that Crawford will have to contend with is that his background is more at LB. Playing so much closer to the line of scrimmage ... the action unfolds much faster. Combine that with the fact that the college game is faster still (compared to high school ball) ... Crawford definitely has development in front of him.

However, that all said ... guys like Evans and Waggs are upperclassmen in '22. Waggs will be a SR ... although he still has a covid-year available if he wishes to take it. Evans is in the same boat. I have no idea what they'll choose to do ... however, I'd probably expect that they'd decide to leave after the '22 season (because sticking around through '23 would involve them taking a 6th year).

Anyhow, the upshot of that is that between now and the end of the '22 season ... we will have had 3 of our top DEs graduate. That points to plenty of future opportunity from my vantage.

I was referring to TGood leaving for the NFL would make it more likely for Kaleb to get on the field next year.
I understand.

The post you were referencing said Patterson had a leg up enrolling early. You said same with with Johnson, but it’s not the same. He’s not enrolling early.

Anyway, I agree with you that Goodson leaving makes it easier for him to see the field early. I think he’s probably the more ready back. Would be nice if if he too were enrolling early.

The bigger issue that Crawford will have to contend with is that his background is more at LB. Playing so much closer to the line of scrimmage ... the action unfolds much faster. Combine that with the fact that the college game is faster still (compared to high school ball) ... Crawford definitely has development in front of him.

However, that all said ... guys like Evans and Waggs are upperclassmen in '22. Waggs will be a SR ... although he still has a covid-year available if he wishes to take it. Evans is in the same boat. I have no idea what they'll choose to do ... however, I'd probably expect that they'd decide to leave after the '22 season (because sticking around through '23 would involve them taking a 6th year).

Anyhow, the upshot of that is that between now and the end of the '22 season ... we will have had 3 of our top DEs graduate. That points to plenty of future opportunity from my vantage.
Obviously. The poster mentioned him competing to play next year. Just think thats one position where it would be highly unlikely given all the young up and comers in the last two classes.

All of these great and talented athletes coming in as freshmen, but the true freshman who could have the biggest impact is Drew Stevens, the walk on kicker.

Shudak made a big difference by sticking around this year. Hopefully, Stevens can pick up where Shudak left off.

Reactions: nu2u and David1979
All of these great and talented athletes coming in as freshmen, but the true freshman who could have the biggest impact is Drew Stevens, the walk on kicker.

Shudak made a big difference by sticking around this year. Hopefully, Stevens can pick up where Shudak left off.
I think they like Blum(sp?)

Are there other major college programs as excited about a kicker recruit as we seem to be?

Can’t wait to see this guy succeed in helping our defense put points on the scoreboard! Being both facetious and serious.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Are there other major college programs as excited about a kicker recruit as we seem to be?

Can’t wait to see this guy succeed in helping our defense put points on the scoreboard! Being both facetious and serious.
What's it like being such a miserable douche all the time?

You do know that Drew reads Iowa message boards, right?

What's it like being such a miserable douche all the time?

You do know that Drew reads Iowa message boards, right?
Of all the “bad messages” that pop-up here, this was one that had good tongue in cheek humor. He is looking forward to a kicker contributing while acknowledging he wishes excitement about touchdowns. If Steven’s reads many posts on here, he will realize how much Hawk fans appreciate a good kicker, even if we all wish they got a little less use on fg and more pat.

Of all the “bad messages” that pop-up here, this was one that had good tongue in cheek humor. He is looking forward to a kicker contributing while acknowledging he wishes excitement about touchdowns. If Steven’s reads many posts on here, he will realize how much Hawk fans appreciate a good kicker, even if we all wish they got a little less use on fg and more pat.
Not from him it isn't.

ADVERTISEMENT