ADVERTISEMENT

Early Thoughts on Basketball

WartburgEd11

HB MVP
Gold Member
Mar 17, 2010
Knoxville, IA
Doing my annual early thoughts on the basketball team and the potential lineups. Most of this is just thoughts spewed from my head while I'm bored at work :) So forgive any potential oversight.

My initial thoughts on a starting 5. For the record, this is the least confident I've been in a starting 5 in quite some time as I could see a wide range of possibilities. I think we can all agree that 3 spots are locked and potentially 4 depending on the health of Connor. Hearing he's getting back closer is a good sign. For now, I'm going to operate under the assumption of 100% health by Connor.

PG- Joe T
Wing- P Mac
Wing- C Mac
Forward- Ke Murray
Post- Rebraca

Now, that lineup has a lot of size and length, but doesn't have the best shooting possibilities. I wonder what potential adjustments there would be. My initial thought is that C-Mac and Joe T might not be the best compliment to one another. However, with Connor's defensive capabilities and adds in that extra ball handler, it could work. Just limits shooting.

My other thought would be something along the lines of taking Patrick out of the lineup and adding in a Perkins/Ulis type that would hopefully add a bit more outside shooting.

The three locks for starting, in my opinion, are Keegan Murray, Rebraca and Joe T (that being my least of the third lock).

What Fran ultimately does with Bohannon is fascinating to me. He provides us shooting which we'll need with the loss of Garza/Wieskamp. But a clear upgrade in athleticism is needed for Iowa to take that next step, something that the likes of Perkins and Ulis provide.

Then we get to the new arrivals. As previously stated, I think it's safe to assume that Rebraca is the starting 5. Where does Sandfort and Mulvey fall into the rotation, if at all? All questions that will be answered.

I'll hop off and let discussion happen if people are interested. One last note, is I do believe this team will surprise people. We have a lot of talent and athleticism. Keegan Murray is a stud.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News