ADVERTISEMENT

Early Voting Observations--Johnson County, Iowa

GOHOX69

HR Legend
Sep 26, 2009
My usual early polling places in Coralville were non-existent. This is part of the Republican party strategy to suppress convenient voting in liberal areas. No biggie.

Drove to Iowa City to the Johnson County Administrators Office.
OVERFLOW CROWD. Line outside the door!

If you insurrectionists thought the Dems aren't energized, you are smoking crack. Your party might win, but if it does so, it will be by gerrymandering, cheating, and intimidation. There are no actual issues you insurrectionists stand for except racism and autocracy but we dems are doing our civic duty.

F the GOP.

Last edited:
Of course your regular polling location isn't open for early voting dude...it has nothing to do with Republicans and everything to do with logistics...

Dems made up our early voting process in VA and we have to go to county/city offices for early voting. Our regular locations are open on election day.

It takes me 20 minutes to drive to an early voting location, it's suppression!!!

Of course your regular polling location isn't open for early voting dude...it has nothing to do with Republicans and everything to do with logistics...
It was my early voting location dude and is clearly listed on the secretary of state of iowa's website dude. It isn't a regular voting location, my dude. The sos of iowa, Paul Pate, is also a midget loser, my dude.

Dems made up our early voting process in VA and we have to go to county/city offices for early voting. Our regular locations are open on election day.

It takes me 20 minutes to drive to an early voting location, it's suppression!!!

Guys from Virginia know all the iowa voter laws.

It was my early voting location dude and is clearly listed on the secretary of state of iowa's website dude. It isn't a regular voting location, my dude. The sos of iowa, Paul Pate, is also a midget loser, my dude.
Well that's different, if it's your "early" location then it seems it should be open. Still not the fault of Republicans and probably still everything to do with logistics...dude

My usual early polling places in Coralville were non-existent. This is part of the Republican party to suppress convenient voting in liberal areas. No biggie.

If you insurrectionists thought the Dems aren't energized, you are smoking crack. Your party might win, but if it does so, it will be by gerrymandering, cheating, and intimidation. There are no actual issues you insurrectionists stand for except racism and autocracy but we dems are doing our civic duty.

F the GOP.
You really need to step away for politics for a while.

Well that's different, if it's your "early" location then it seems it should be open. Still not the fault of Republicans and probably still everything to do with logistics...dude
That's part of the gameplan, dude. "Logistics"
When I asked the person in charge of that location, they replied, and I quote "No one has told us anything about the elections." Yea, I bet that's "logistics" dude.

Reactions: Moral and Rudolph
That's part of the gameplan, dude. "Logistics"
When I asked the person in charge of that location, they replied, and I quote "No one has told us anything about the elections." Yea, I bet that's "logistics" dude.
Sounds like it.

The Republican Parry openly and without shame works to cloudy- and clusterfück-up voting, @thewop. It’s not like some thickly-veiled strategy.

JFC, man, quit tying to deny basic reality.
I'm not so quick to buy into conspiracy theory. Early voting in no way is voter suppression. The fact that coralville doesn't have their shot together is highly unlikely to be due to anything the GOP did.

Incompetence? Sure, but a political play? Gimme a break, that's just conspiracy.

Only a Q-level lefty would believe that.

The Republican Parry openly and without shame works to cloudy- and clusterfück-up voting, @thewop. It’s not like some thickly-veiled strategy.

JFC, man, quit tying to deny basic reality.
I can't speak for other states, but Iowa definitely is doing this. Rs change how voting works every year. Even eagle eyed voters have a hard time keeping up with all the date changes and requirement changes.

I'm not so quick to buy into conspiracy theory. Early voting in no way is voter suppression. The fact that coralville doesn't have their shot together is highly unlikely to be due to anything the GOP did.

Incompetence? Sure, but a political play? Gimme a break, that's just conspiracy.

It has nothing to do with C'ville. It has to do with the state's secretary of state who oversees voting. He's a Kim Reynold's Republican butt rat. Electioneering is done at the state level not by cities unless it's a special election that only affects that city/town.

Okay, so you’re going to just deny reality. This isn’t Q level conspiracy. There are court cases and stuff on record directly related to this stuff. There are countless stories, documented, of precincts normally well-staffed and well-accommodated being stripped of resources and staffing. And there’s a pretty common theme with these precincts, in terms of demographics and historical voting records.

My usual early polling places in Coralville were non-existent. This is part of the Republican party strategy to suppress convenient voting in liberal areas. No biggie.

F the GOP.
Really, Johnson county is run by Republicans?

Mine is 6 minutes away, depending on traffic.

Tantrum Crying GIF

Horribly difficult to find out where to early vote.

Absentee Voting in Person​

You may cast an absentee ballot in person at your county auditor's office before any election.

You must vote your absentee ballot at the auditor's office. You cannot take the ballot home with you.

For voters who need assistance in marking their ballots, an accessible ballot marking device is available at the county auditor's office.

For primary and general elections, absentee ballots will be available no earlier than 20 days at the county auditors' offices. For all other elections, ballots will be available as soon as they are ready, but not sooner than 20 days before an election.

In-person absentee voting is not available on election day at the auditor's office unless the polls open at noon. If the polls open at noon, you may cast an absentee ballot at the county auditor's office from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. on election day.

https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/electioninfo/absenteeinperson.html

Your right wop...it is NOT "the fault" of Republicans.....however, it is by their (intentional) design there are these apparent discrimincies out there....The changes in "Iowa voting" rules made the past 2 years by the heavily tilted Republican Iowa Legislature were uncalled for and unnecessary....and they are CONFUSING for many of us "old timers".....removing 9 days from the early voting period was uncalled for....reducing the number of early voting locations was not necessary and the shortening of the window to apply for an absentee ballot has never been justifiably explained....other than the Republicans had the numbers and could do it.

The point is satellite sites, which once existed for early voting, no longer exist. So many mensa candidates in here.

That’s not true.

Satellite Absentee Voting​

Satellite absentee voting stations to provide in-person absentee voting at other places other than the auditor's office.

You must mark the absentee ballot at the satellite station and leave it with the officials. You cannot take the ballot home with you.

All satellite stations must be accessible to people with disabilities.

To find out whether a satellite station is planned for an election, contact your county auditor.

You may request a satellite station by filing a petition with the county auditor. The petition must contain signatures of at least 100 eligible electors living in the jurisdiction. The petition must be filed with the county auditor conducting the election by the filing deadlines listed in §53.11, which varies by election type.

F the GOP.
why didn't you just mail in your vote instead of complaining?

That’s not true.
That fact is they exist but their availablity has been drastically reduced, at least here in Polk......Back in the day you could go to the Library and vote like 30 days before the election......this year, off site voting (the Library) starts this coming Wednesday and end next Monday....that is a sizeable reduction in opportunities to vote early.....and again for NO reason...other than the republicans had the numbers to mandate these changes.....and for "appearances sake"....

That fact is they exist but their availablity has been drastically reduced, at least here in Polk......Back in the day you could go to the Library and vote like 30 days before the election......this year, off site voting (the Library) starts this coming Wednesday and end next Monday....that is a sizeable reduction in opportunities to vote early.....and again for NO reason...other than the republicans had the numbers to mandate these changes.....and for "appearances sake"....
do we really NEED 30 days of early voting? THE VAST majority of people can get it done on Election day... Millions do it... We have election day not election month.

absentee ballots...and that window has been shortened, too....plus absentee ballots have to be back to the Auditor's office by 8P on election day, as opposed to being "postmarked" by that date/time......

Fair, absentee ballets have a 15 day window yo get back to the auditors office.

Plenty of time.

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Satellite voting locations are approved by the county auditor. You can file a petition with signatures to request a specific early voting location, date, time.

The petition is not required, county auditors can select locations as well.

The Johnson County auditor in controll of elections is a Democrat.

Sometimes lack of early voting sites can be because of a lack of poll workers too.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT