ADVERTISEMENT

Early Voting Observations--Johnson County, Iowa

do we really NEED 30 days of early voting? THE VAST majority of people can get it done on Election day... Millions do it... We have election day not election month.
Why not? Isn't the object to allow ALL eligible voters an opportunity to vote? And in Iowa there really has never been any reason to "reign in" the election process....Iowa auditors and election officials have a good handle on the voting issues and the state and counties do a great job of keeping their voting rolls accurate......and frankly, "voting issues" other states belly-ache about just are not Iowa problems. Iowans just dont "cheat" on voting like others states do.....Texas, Florida, Illinois....I am looking at you! However, Iowa Republicans have a recent stranglehold on the voting process......and Iowa Republicans, much like Republicans across the nation, have adopted the "we have a solution here but we're looking for a problem" mentality! Sometimes doing nothing at all is the best solution......this was one of those times.

Satellite voting locations are approved by the county auditor. You can file a petition with signatures to request a specific early voting location, date, time.

The petition is not required, county auditors can select locations as well.

The Johnson County auditor in controll of elections is a Democrat.

Sometimes lack of early voting sites can be because of a lack of poll workers too.
Be Quiet Season 2 GIF by Martin

Fair, absentee ballets have a 15 day window yo get back to the auditors office.

Plenty of time.
No it isn't....lots of shit can happen w/in that window.......and what was the reason for :shortening" this window Tyler? What incident? What voting fraud conspiracy was uncovered in Iowa? It was just a totally unnecessary, uncalled for and unneeded regulation put in place by fearful Republicans in the legislature.

No it isn't....lots of shit can happen w/in that window.......and what was the reason for :shortening" this window Tyler? What incident? What voting fraud conspiracy was uncovered in Iowa? It was just a totally unnecessary, uncalled for and unneeded regulation put in place by fearful Republicans in the legislature.

Ok Joel.

Lets just open up voting for 6 months instead of asking people to be adults and held accountable

Why not? Isn't the object to allow ALL eligible voters an opportunity to vote? And in Iowa there really has never been any reason to "reign in" the election process....Iowa auditors and election officials have a good handle on the voting issues and the state and counties do a great job of keeping their voting rolls accurate......and frankly, "voting issues" other states belly-ache about just are not Iowa problems. Iowans just dont "cheat" on voting like others states do.....Texas, Florida, Illinois....I am looking at you! However, Iowa Republicans have a recent stranglehold on the voting process......and Iowa Republicans, much like Republicans across the nation, have adopted the "we have a solution here but we're looking for a problem" mentality! Sometimes doing nothing at all is the best solution......this was one of those times.
there was a time people walked or rode by horse back to vote... they probably didn't get a whole month to do it. Stop crying.

Reactions: kwik44
I moved back to Iowa in 2016, After initially registering to vote I have voted by mail in every election, Numerous times in each election of course.

• Love
Reactions: Lindemann
I’m always going to vote in person.
Because I can, and because I think they’ll always be looking for ways not to count or include those votes if at all possible.

Reactions: gohawks50
I voted first day of voting here in Waterloo.
Early voting has always been at the court house which is about 8 mins away from my actual voting location. Took about 15 mins because there was a line so I will now bot a week after the start of early voting as I assume there will be less traffic.

IMO if you guys can’t vote in 3 weeks with all the opportunity to be able to vote then that’s on you. But I love more participation in democracy so I think we should be able to vote by phone through a secured voting app using a 2 factor authorization and a system where we all have our unique digital voter ID.

I’m always going to vote in person.
Because I can, and because I think they’ll always be looking for ways not to count or include those votes if at all possible.
That is exactly why I have 6 voter IDs with me all the time! I vote " in person" 4 or 5 times on election day, plus twice "early off-site" and once "absentee".....but I always can POSITIVELY identify myself! Voter ID is such a wise idea...a great way to end fraudulent voting, too!

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
What was wrong with the previous policy?

You ever heard the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Statistics show the Dems vote more by absentee than Republicans. That's the motivation in Red States.

It's not complicated.
why do we need 30 days? why not 60 days? why not just vote whenever the moment feels right? How about we just have election year?

Reactions: ICHerky
Im all for it....I want EVERY eligible voter to have a day they can vote......"circumstances" should not be a barrier to restricting this Constitutional right.

that's full retard mode, and you never go full retard.
What we had before....30 days, was reasonable....AND their was no reason why (the state of) Iowa needed to change their rules.......in fact, the only reason this rule was changed was because GOP legislative numbers enabled them to do so....purer politics. These voting rule changes, as well as the changes in the process of selecting judges in Iowa (making their selection more political and governor influenced) are two reasons I can't vote for a Republican the past couple of election cycles. Sorry.....keeping politics out of voting and the judicial system are even more important to me than keeping religion out of politics. (I also 100% support the idea of keeping politics out of religion.)

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
The sad thing is that Iowa Rs are willing to sacrifice thousands of Republican votes if it means even more Democratic votes will get killed.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Ok Joel.

Lets just open up voting for 6 months instead of asking people to be adults and held accountable
First of all, I don’t think that is what Joel was saying. The old standard of 30 days was fine.

In my opinion, the even bigger issue is abandoning the “postmarked by Election Day” rule for the rule that says ballots must be received by Election Day. Voters can control when the mail in their ballots. They CANNOT control how long it takes the US postal service to get that mail processed and delivered.

Which highlights another GQP inspired suppression strategy. Back in 2020, during the height of the Covid pandemic, it was anticipated that all the mail in votes would put incredible strain on the ability of USPS to process that much volume. The USPS, responded by request additional resources and equipment for handling this deluge.

And what does Trump/GQP do? In June 2020, Trump appoints Louis DeJoy as Postmaster General, who then turns around and not only rejects the requests but also puts in a plan to “save money” by cutting post office hours and lengthening times for mail delivery.

I really don’t have a dog in this fight, but just an FYI your scenario is like gold for any place I’ve casted a vote in NC ( and we have a Dem governor, actually a solid one that typically gets my vote)
We have a drunk bufoon.

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
First of all, I don’t think that is what Joel was saying. The old standard of 30 days was fine.

In my opinion, the even bigger issue is abandoning the “postmarked by Election Day” rule for the rule that says ballots must be received by Election Day. Voters can control when the mail in their ballots. They CANNOT control how long it takes the US postal service to get that mail processed and delivered.

Which highlights another GQP inspired suppression strategy. Back in 2020, during the height of the Covid pandemic, it was anticipated that all the mail in votes would put incredible strain on the ability of USPS to process that much volume. The USPS, responded by request additional resources and equipment for handling this deluge.

And what does Trump/GQP do? In June 2020, Trump appoints Louis DeJoy as Postmaster General, who then turns around and not only rejects the requests but also puts in a plan to “save money” by cutting post office hours and lengthening times for mail delivery.
I sent my ballot in last week and they had it in 3 days. You can go online and track where your ballot is once you mail it and find out when it's received. It's pretty slick!

My usual early polling places in Coralville were non-existent. This is part of the Republican party strategy to suppress convenient voting in liberal areas. No biggie.

Drove to Iowa City to the Johnson County Administrators Office.
OVERFLOW CROWD. Line outside the door!

If you insurrectionists thought the Dems aren't energized, you are smoking crack. Your party might win, but if it does so, it will be by gerrymandering, cheating, and intimidation. There are no actual issues you insurrectionists stand for except racism and autocracy but we dems are doing our civic duty.

F the GOP.
My typical early voting haunt in Polk county was still in the same place and no lines or wait. That Republican party's plan to squash convenient voting in blue areas doesn't seem to be getting executed very well. They also opened an additional election day location thats literally now within walking distance. Short of coming to my house and taking my ballot, I don't see how it could possibly be any easier....in the heart of blue.

Reactions: Hawkman34
You certainly sound as if you might....what would you call the events of 1/6/21 in Washington DC, sonny?
Really? A terrible riot that should see people go to jail. You sound like you are NOT from Iowa. And tell me fella, what would YOU call the violence that occurred throughout 2020, that injured or blinded more than 2,000 police officers, resulted in the deaths of more than two dozen people and caused property damage worth more than $1 billion, the most expensive in insurance history?

Really? A terrible riot that should see people go to jail. You sound like you are NOT from Iowa. And tell me fella, what would YOU call the violence that occurred throughout 2020, that injured or blinded more than 2,000 police officers, resulted in the deaths of more than two dozen people and caused property damage worth more than $1 billion, the most expensive in insurance history?
A typical year in gun totin’ ‘America? Too many guns....too many folks who shouldn’t have them, have them...
It certInly was no organized attempt to overthrow the nation’s government, as was the event in Washington DC on 1/6/21.
I find your data on police officers very informative...but question it’s veracity.

• Haha
Reactions: TornadoHawk93
Satellite voting locations are approved by the county auditor. You can file a petition with signatures to request a specific early voting location, date, time.

The petition is not required, county auditors can select locations as well.

The Johnson County auditor in controll of elections is a Democrat.

Sometimes lack of early voting sites can be because of a lack of poll workers too.
No longer true

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT