ADVERTISEMENT

Easter Ham... Dr. Pepper style!

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
So, the holiday ham is humming along.

I took an ordinary grocery store leg shank ham, and shaved ALL the outside fat and skin off of it. Get it down to almost no fat layer and start exposing the meat. If you don't, people will just cut that fat off and throw away the Wonderful Glaze (I'll post the recipe for that later).

I then lightly brushed some Dijon mustard all over it (meant to use honey mustard dressing), and dusted it liberally with Meat Church Honey Bacon BBQ Rub.

meath-church-honey-bacon-bbq-base__96285.1643932338.jpg

That's some good stuff, y'all.

I set up the Weber Kettle for two zone smoking using just the ordinary Weber charcoal basket and a water pan underneath the ham. Using briquettes, I got the fire going and added a chunk of cherry (there was another one buried under the unlit coals in the basket).

Once the kettle was warming up at a good clip, I put boiling water in the pan and put the ham on, closed the lid and fiddled with the vents to hold at 225 degrees.

After an hour, I turned the ham around so the other side was facing the fire, added another cherry chunk, and kept on smoking for another hour.

After two hours, the rub was nice and set and developed a great color from that cherry smoke. The internal temp was around 100 degrees in the deepest part of the ham.

It went into a pan sitting on top of some fat slices I saved from the preparation step, and then I poured a cup of Dr. Pepper all over the ham, and covered it tightly with heavy duty foil. Into the oven set at 300 degrees it went.

That's where we are now. When it gets to 130 degrees, we'll proceed to the glazing step. Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Ham just isn’t that great. Got the ribs on, fresh bread been cooking, potatoes and green stuff going. I’ll be feasting before long. Going to crack a beer.

Shut your whore mouth.

Ham is freaking wonderful unless it gets dried out. This recipe does not dry it out.

Last edited:
The Wonderful Glaze:

About 3/4 cup of Dr. Pepper
A full (loose packed) cup of light brown sugar
About 1/4 cup of honey
2 tablespoons of orange juice
2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of the Meat Church Honey Bacon BBQ rub
1/2 tablespoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves

Put all that in a sauce pan on high whisking constantly until it starts to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and stir often until it reduces by about a third and starts getting drippy and sticky, like syrup. Remove from heat.

I put the ham back out on the smoker and started glazing about every 10 or 15 minutes or so. The ham is done when it hits 145 internal.

This is gonna be gooooooood.....

Last edited:
After the initial braising step I poured off the liquids in the bottom of the pan into a fat strainer. Then after the glazing step, I again poured off the liquids in the bottom of the pan into the fat strainer. That is now sitting in the fridge. It will be a "gravy" to spoon onto the ham and anything else you might want to totally amp up with flavor.

OMG... that was fantastic.

Served with potatoes au gratin, roasted broccoli and cherry tomatoes, some nice dinner rolls... and gravy made from the drippings.

YUM, YUM!

So, the holiday ham is humming along.

I took an ordinary grocery store leg shank ham, and shaved ALL the outside fat and skin off of it. Get it down to almost no fat layer and start exposing the meat. If you don't, people will just cut that fat off and throw away the Wonderful Glaze (I'll post the recipe for that later).

I then lightly brushed some Dijon mustard all over it (meant to use honey mustard dressing), and dusted it liberally with Meat Church Honey Bacon BBQ Rub.

meath-church-honey-bacon-bbq-base__96285.1643932338.jpg

That's some good stuff, y'all.

I set up the Weber Kettle for two zone smoking using just the ordinary Weber charcoal basket and a water pan underneath the ham. Using briquettes, I got the fire going and added a chunk of cherry (there was another one buried under the unlit coals in the basket).

Once the kettle was warming up at a good clip, I put boiling water in the pan and put the ham on, closed the lid and fiddled with the vents to hold at 225 degrees.

After an hour, I turned the ham around so the other side was facing the fire, added another cherry chunk, and kept on smoking for another hour.

After two hours, the rub was nice and set and developed a great color from that cherry smoke. The internal temp was around 100 degrees in the deepest part of the ham.

It went into a pan sitting on top of some fat slices I saved from the preparation step, and then I poured a cup of Dr. Pepper all over the ham, and covered it tightly with heavy duty foil. Into the oven set at 300 degrees it went.

That's where we are now. When it gets to 130 degrees, we'll proceed to the glazing step. Stay tuned....
Had to look Meat Church up. 😋

These cooking threads are like diaries. I can go back and look to see how I did something in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT