ADVERTISEMENT

Easy Fix - If Iowa want's it.

iowahaha1

All-Conference
Apr 15, 2015
I think Iowa can turn things around quickly if they want to and are just a little lucky in the portal.

I've lived in Texas for some time. I remember Mike Leach saying he could not get the big horses up front at Texas Tech compared to Texas and Oklahoma at the time. What did he do, he got some average QB's and tall, fast, wide receivers. Thus fired the ball all around the field. Problem was his defense just sucked.

Leach didn't have Phil Parker. If we can get a good QB and a couple good tall, fast receivers with a week line and adopt a pass heavy offense, I think we will be fine in the short term. If we want to return Iowa football, it will take time to develop and grow big offensive linemen so we can run first and then open up the pass.

But till then, lets go air raid till till our linemen are legit.

fire away.- I know I will get roasted.

I think Iowa can turn things around quickly if they want to and are just a little lucky in the portal.

I've lived in Texas for some time. I remember Mike Leach saying he could not get the big horses up front at Texas Tech compared to Texas and Oklahoma at the time. What did he do, he got some average QB's and tall, fast, wide receivers. Thus fired the ball all around the field. Problem was his defense just sucked.

Leach didn't have Phil Parker. If we can get a good QB and a couple good tall, fast receivers with a week line and adopt a pass heavy offense, I think we will be fine in the short term. If we want to return Iowa football, it will take time to develop and grow big offensive linemen so we can run first and then open up the pass.

Good idea, but the only air raid KF knows would send him to his underground bunker

Top 4 running backs (Albert Young, Marcus Schnoor, Jermelle Lewis, Marques Simmons) all injured. That was the origin of the AIRBHG. Drew Tate put the team on his back...or rather, his arm.
Welcome Sam Brownlee

“Sam never blew a protection and never turned the ball over,” Ferentz said. “He allowed us to have a chance to win. He got called from deep in the bullpen and responded in an admirable way.”

“I took pride in knowing the protections and being good at blocking,” said Brownlee, a native of Emmetsburg, Iowa. “I’m not going to win any 100-yard dash sprints on the football field, but I took pride in knowing the offense and the protection schemes and being able to pad my guy and do my job so everybody else could do theirs.”
Hawkeyesports.com 9/15/14

I am not going to lambaste you, and I even get your premise, but I don’t know very many high-octane offenses that play Phil Parker type of Defense… I honestly find myself thinking, Parker wouldn’t even go be a defensive coordinator at a place like that it would make his job way more difficult !

I am not going to lambaste you, and I even get your premise, but I don’t know very many high-octane offenses that play Phil Parker type of Defense… I honestly find myself thinking, Parker wouldn’t even go be a defensive coordinator at a place like that it would make his job way more difficult !
I always thought that too, but this year kind of changed my mind. We had so many three and outs and a lot of TO's. I'm now thinking that this defense was able to perform well with no offense so why couldn't they perform well with a wide-open offense. I know the old thought was that your defense would spend too much time on the field with an aggressive pass offense, but they proved that they can hold up with 7 or 8 three and outs a game and a negative time of possession.

I always thought that too, but this year kind of changed my mind. We had so many three and outs and a lot of TO's. I'm now thinking that this defense was able to perform well with no offense so why couldn't they perform well with a wide-open offense. I know the old thought was that your defense would spend too much time on the field with an aggressive pass offense, but they proved that they can hold up with 7 or 8 three and outs a game and a negative time of possession.

Meh….I don’t think they played very many games where our opponent had 70 plus plays let alone 80? I could be wrong though

Welcome Sam Brownlee

“Sam never blew a protection and never turned the ball over,” Ferentz said. “He allowed us to have a chance to win. He got called from deep in the bullpen and responded in an admirable way.”

“I took pride in knowing the protections and being good at blocking,” said Brownlee, a native of Emmetsburg, Iowa. “I’m not going to win any 100-yard dash sprints on the football field, but I took pride in knowing the offense and the protection schemes and being able to pad my guy and do my job so everybody else could do theirs.”
Kid was a baller

Top 4 running backs (Albert Young, Marcus Schnoor, Jermelle Lewis, Marques Simmons) all injured. That was the origin of the AIRBHG. Drew Tate put the team on his back...or rather, his arm.
5th string FB turned RB Sam Brownlee had to start several games that year. Drew Tate was a true Soph. Not only did we tie Michigan for the BIG 10 championship, Tate got Big 10 POY.

Welcome Sam Brownlee

We need a complete oral history from that year.

That is kind of the point. You don't see many high octane offenses play phil Parker type Defenses. That why they score a ton of points but the other team does as well because the defense sucks so bad. Just for a reminder, we were one of the worst offenses in the nation.

That is kind of the point. You don't see many high octane offenses play phil Parker type Defenses. That why they score a ton of points but the other team does as well because the defense sucks so bad. Just for a reminder, we were one of the worst offenses in the nation.

I’m talking purely about opportunities to possesses the ball, if you are in a no huddle, hurry up and your goal is to run 90 to 100 plays a game, you have dramatically increased the amount of times the other team has the ball as well!

It’s fairly simple Math!

I’m talking purely about opportunities to possesses the ball, if you are in a no huddle, hurry up and your goal is to run 90 to 100 plays a game, you have dramatically increased the amount of times the other team has the ball as well!

It’s fairly simple Math!

I agree with you there. However:

ISM and Brandon smith couldn't take Petras. We just lost 2 four star wide receivers and we lost 2 wide receivers to Purdue. We are rated at the very bottom for offensive production.

Should we (Iowa) continue to do the same thing???

My main topic is if we suck at the O Line, go air raid. If we get horses up front, ground and pound.

I agree with you there. However:

ISM and Brandon smith couldn't take Petras. We just lost 2 four star wide receivers and we lost 2 wide receivers to Purdue. We are rated at the very bottom for offensive production.

Should we (Iowa) continue to do the same thing???

My main topic is if we suck at the O Line, go air raid. If we get horses up front, ground and pound.

Meh…maybe?!

It’s fairly simple Math!
Yes, math is simple. It we ran 100 plays in a game, it would mean we were successfully doing so. Therefore, the defense would not have that many plays to defend.

ADVERTISEMENT