ADVERTISEMENT

Echemendia visit

Anyone have any idea where Anthony actually lives nowadays? Still in AZ? I was under the impression he had moved to Ames for a bit.

Reactions: redmarlie
How would Echemendia fit in? Is he primarily a freestyle “recruit” or does he have a legitimate chance at becoming NCAA eligible? Can he still train for Cuban national team or has that bridge been burned?

His becoming NCAA eligible is why he's no longer going to ISU. Once that happened, people started knocking hard on his door and he realized how lame ISU is.

Anyone have any idea where Anthony actually lives nowadays? Still in AZ? I was under the impression he had moved to Ames for a bit.
I think he is still gonna visit ASU & PSU, unless he’s already has. Obviously we know ISU and tOSU are in the mix.

Do we think this kid is clearly going to be better than Reyna?

I just dont want another 141 type situation where we are giving 4 guys at one weight money. And obviously AE will require a decent scholly amount.

And if one goes to 157 thats great and all but dont ruin my Paddy dream because thats where he projects because Im not taking Kennedy out of 165.

Without knowing all that much, he seems like a roll of the dice if you're tying up money in him. I am sure he would be a stellar folk wrestler but not sure he sees the mat or if he does, will stay where he initially lands. Risk v reward, guess we'll see who's willing to take the risk.

Based on what little I've seen, if he qualifies and if he stays somewhere for 4 years, he's a multiple year champ level talent. I am sure there is a lot of homework being done on this kid. Big IFs.

His becoming NCAA eligible is why he's no longer going to ISU. Once that happened, people started knocking hard on his door and he realized how lame ISU is.
This is actually not true. It has been reported that TOSU found out that his “signing” was not a NLI and he was still able to be recruited. Then they started to go after him hard and he decided to reopen the recruiting. It wasn’t not because of his eligibility.

Without knowing all that much, he seems like a roll of the dice if you're tying up money in him. I am sure he would be a stellar folk wrestler but not sure he sees the mat or if he does, will stay where he initially lands. Risk v reward, guess we'll see who's willing to take the risk.

Based on what little I've seen, if he qualifies and if he stays somewhere for 4 years, he's a multiple year champ level talent. I am sure there is a lot of homework being done on this kid. Big IFs.
Given his background, you’d have to assume the kid qualifies for full financial aid. Doubt he’d need any scholarship money.

Reactions: Inthecircle
How would Echemendia fit in? Is he primarily a freestyle “recruit” or does he have a legitimate chance at becoming NCAA eligible? Can he still train for Cuban national team or has that bridge been burned?

“I won 6 nationals gold medals in Cuba. Now I’m a double UAS national champ. I wanted to get a Olympic gold medal for Cuba. Now my greatest dream is to get a gold medal for USA”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mi...rld/world/americas/cuba/article233083402.html

Last edited:
This is actually not true. It has been reported that TOSU found out that his “signing” was not a NLI and he was still able to be recruited. Then they started to go after him hard and he decided to reopen the recruiting. It wasn’t not because of his eligibility.
Nope. Got his qualifying SAT score on a Friday and all hell broke loose. Everyone knew his recruiting depended on the SAT score and ISU took the chance and thought they had him as a done deal. Once the SAT became clear, it was just a matter of a couple of online/DMACC credits and he was good to go second semester.

@SPOONER knows what he is talking about here, people should listen to him

Nope. Got his qualifying SAT score on a Friday and all hell broke loose. Everyone knew his recruiting depended on the SAT score and ISU took the chance and thought they had him as a done deal. Once the SAT became clear, it was just a matter of a couple of online/DMACC credits and he was good to go second semester.

Misread @SPOONER initial post. Thought he was saying it was because he couldn’t get into ISU. My bad.

Reactions: tigerguy_

This. Originally, it was about him being a part of a RTC only. I think once they talked to some college folks about the process, the more they figured he might just be able to wrestle D-1.

Seems like an amazing talent. I have no idea what our position with him is, if not us I'm going for ASU.

Reactions: Gobblin
Can you imagine what this kid must be thinking? He escaped the poverty of a hell hole called Cuba a few years ago and now he has some of the finest universities in the world trying to lure him to their school. His head must be swimming. What a great story. The American dream. It is a beautiful thing to watch unfold in someone's life. It is beautiful to see someone who appreciates everything we have in this country.

Can you imagine what this kid must be thinking? He escaped the poverty of a hell hole called Cuba a few years ago and now he has some of the finest universities in the world trying to lure him to their school. His head must be swimming. What a great story. The American dream. It is a beautiful thing to watch unfold in someone's life. It is beautiful to see someone who appreciates everything we have in this country.
This is a great article I read. AE has been through so much. He has an amazing story and it's only just begun.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article233083402.html

Considering the NLI early signing period is not until November 13, do you really think OSU thought he had signed a NLI??

Last edited:
So no date restrictions for previous classes. Can class of 2021 sign a NLI next week, or do they have to wait? Does not seem logical to me, If he was eligible to sign and held a signing ceremony at his school that the document he signed was not a NLI? Makes me think his immigration/defector status makes the situation different.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT