ADVERTISEMENT

Editing Reruns on Sitcoms

Brian_Fantana

HR All-American
Feb 9, 2006
Watching one of my favorite episodes of Seinfeld this morning on TBS (the one where the Seinfelds are in NY and Mort gets a job with Elaine & George's parents buy a place at Del Boca Vista) and the scene where Mort was in a meeting with Elaine and Peterman came on. They were talking about importing fabric and Mort says, "I know a couple of Chinamen over on 43rd that can get this half price...." Elaine corrects him, "Its, ah, Asian Americans........"

Anyway - the show or TBS changed "Chinamen to "Gentleman". I have no problem with this and certainly understand why the did it; however, I had no idea they were going through syndicated shows to update each episode for these racially insensitive exchanges. I'm guessing there would have to be a whole lot of edits if they are doing this on other shows as TBS runs a lot of Family Guy and i believe South Park reruns.

Really no point to this post, just found it interesting. Maybe it was done long ago; but I haven't noticed it on any other rerun until this morning and working from home, i find myself watching a lot of reruns.

I don't have a big 'problem' with this, but I think it is dumb. Elaine correcting Morty makes him the butt of the joke. It's like what happened on All in the Family. Archie said racist / sexist things, but they made him look bad, thus revealing an old, inappropriate way of thinking.

Interesting. The other day I had Urban Cowboy on in the background. There is a scene where Wes Hightower whacks Sissy across the face and starts beating on her because she tells him she's not going to Mexico after Bud beats Wes in the mechanical bull competition. That scene was completely deleted. I was half paying attention but I said to my wife (no pic) "Wait? What? They just completely jumped a scene." So it doesn't make any sense when Sissy tells Bud that she "got hit" and that sends Bud into a rage and he goes and kicks Wes's arse foiling his robbery of Gilley's.

I hate editing. We're freaking grown-ups. We don't need to be coddled.

Interesting. The other day I had Urban Cowboy on in the background. There is a scene where Wes Hightower whacks Sissy across the face and starts beating on her because she tells him she's not going to Mexico after Bud beats Wes in the mechanical bull competition. That scene was completely deleted. I was half paying attention but I said to my wife (no pic) "Wait? What? They just completely jumped a scene." So it doesn't make any sense when Sissy tells Bud that she "got hit" and that sends Bud into a rage and he goes and kicks Wes's arse foiling his robbery of Gilley's.

I hate editing. We're freaking grown-ups. We don't need to be coddled.
If we don’t show domestic violence on tv, it won’t happen in real life! Duh. Thank God they are looking out for us.

That's just dumb, really dumb. But than again so was Seinfeld.

Cheers > Friends > Seinfeld

I don't have a big 'problem' with this, but I think it is dumb. Elaine correcting Morty makes him the butt of the joke. It's like what happened on All in the Family. Archie said racist / sexist things, but they made him look bad, thus revealing an old, inappropriate way of thinking.
All in the Family is the first show that came to mind for me. It was before my time but I have seen a few episodes and, from what i've seen, I don't know they could run any of that show!

You're not serious, are you? Seinfeld is arguably the best sitcom of all time. Cheers was very funny, but feels pretty dated (it is 30-40 years old). I liked Friends, but mostly to check out Monica and Rachel.

You're not serious, are you? Seinfeld is arguably the best sitcom of all time. Cheers was very funny, but feels pretty dated (it is 30-40 years old). I liked Friends, but mostly to check out Monica and Rachel.
Yes, I hated Seinfeld. Just thought it was dumb. You're not wrong about Friends though.

images

Reactions: h-hawk
I'm shocked that Chappelle and In Living Color are still on, even though its cable. Heck, even Sanford and Son.
Cause some of us can't make our own judgments...

Hallmark Channel used to run reruns of "Cheers". They would bleep out such horrible words as "butt", "slut" and "damn".

It's a bit different because of licensing issues, but WKRP in Cincinnati has some pretty massive editing. Most of the music had limited licensing, so when it went into syndication, much of the music had to be replaced. That also cause editing of voices and cutting of scenes.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
That’s idiotic. Popular culture should reflect the time in which it was made. I’d be ok with them running a warning at the beginning like “this show contains potentially offensive material to some viewers” but editing the dialogue is dumb.

This.

The entire first season of “Reno 911!” is available on Comedy Central’s website except the Halloween episode. They completely scrubbed the entire episode, probably because of the scene where the guys toilet papered Wiegel’s trees and blamed it on a group of Korean teens.

“F*ckin’ Koreans!”

Friends is not a comedy. To say it's funnier than Seinfeld is absurd, even when taking into account "humor is subjective."

But perhaps you're one of those people who think rom-coms are funny. Makes sense if so.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
Friends is not a comedy. To say it's funnier than Seinfeld is absurd, even when taking into account "humor is subjective."

But perhaps you're one of those people who think rom-coms are funny. Makes sense if so.
make sense if so! lol

tenor.gif
\

Something yesterday reminded me of that downed US spy plane in China 20 years ago and that reminded me of an Alec Baldwin SNL skit about the situation. When I went to watch it, I found NBC had deleted it from the episode.
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/season-26/episode/16-alec-baldwin-with-coldplay-62531

I assume this is what prompted its excise from the episode:

Sgt. Jack Wilcox: Oh, I get the picture. I know how you all feel. [ patriotic music plays over him ] War was a rough business. Women and college boys need not apply! When we signed on for this gig, we knew it wasn’t gonna be a cakewalk! We also knew we were signing up on the winning team – OUR TEAM!! Now, I don’t pretend to know who these Chinese people are – I know they’re small, maybe 1 or 2 feet high! I know they sound funny when they talk, I know the womenfolk have sideways vaginas! But underneath their scales, they’re just like you and me. Maybe I’m crazy, maybe I can’t take on a billion of them..

Soldier #3: Yeah, you can’t.

Sgt. Jack Wilcox: Maybe with a little luck, I can pull this thing through and take this country! The American people don’t pay me to be a ballerina! They pay me to be a soldier! So! Who’s coming with me! [ no one moves ] So that’s the way it’s gonna be? Alright. [ weeping ] Just tell Shirley.. that I love her! [ runs toward the camera, arms extended, screaming as the screen freezes ]

https://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00ptoughguy.phtml

Capture26163.JPG

This is the reason "The Honeymooners" was timeless.
Jackie Gleason and Art Carney were great comedic
actors. Their episodes focused on real issues between
a husband and wife which TV audiences could identify
with.

This is the reason "The Honeymooners" was timeless.
Jackie Gleason and Art Carney were great comedic
actors. Their episodes focused on real issues between
a husband and wife which TV audiences could identify
with.

Relatable ... :)

Not TV, but I’ve seen edited Caddyshack where Ty asks Danny if he does drugs and instead of the “every day” response, it was edited to “”No. Good.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT