ADVERTISEMENT

Effects of Not Wearing a Mask

People that don’t wear a mask and social distance hate Iowa football. There can be no other explanation. Unless you are an Iowa State fan, wear a mask so we can enjoy football.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/dont-wear-mask-yourself/610336/
You are delusional. This is all overblown like crazy. It is all about wicked people at the top trying to usher in a form of dictatorship. Look at all the rights and liberties people are just letting the government take away. Look honestly at all the long term effects! COVID is a flu strand that is on pace to kill (world wide) only twice that of a regular flu season. This is not even close yet to a top 10 cause of death. If you want to turn a blind eye to all of the effects of listening to what you are told. If you want to go right along with ushering this country in to a dictatorship go right ahead. I'm sure Iowa Football will be real enjoyable during a dictatorship.

You are delusional. This is all overblown like crazy. It is all about wicked people at the top trying to usher in a form of dictatorship. Look at all the rights and liberties people are just letting the government take away. Look honestly at all the long term effects! COVID is a flu strand that is on pace to kill (world wide) only twice that of a regular flu season. This is not even close yet to a top 10 cause of death. If you want to turn a blind eye to all of the effects of listening to what you are told. If you want to go right along with ushering this country in to a dictatorship go right ahead. I'm sure Iowa Football will be real enjoyable during a dictatorship.
No one has stripped you of your rights or freedoms. You are free to throw yourself off the nearest bridge if you choose to, that is your right.....but you don't have the right to force others to come with you....governments act on public safety (or at least they should).....sorta like putting up stop signs @ 4-way intersections, making you actually have to stop for school buses...and what'll it take to slow down the spread as not to overwhelm hospitals till a vaccine is developed.

No one has stripped you of your rights or freedoms. You are free to throw yourself off the nearest bridge if you choose to, that is your right.....but you don't have the right to force others to come with you....governments act on public safety (or at least they should).....sorta like putting up stop signs @ 4-way intersections, making you actually have to stop for school buses...and what'll it take to slow down the spread as not to overwhelm hospitals till a vaccine is developed.
Exactly 100% correct Duhawk ! This IS a worldwide health problem, not some crazy idea to take away basic rights. All of us are FOR community safety and health when we wear a mask and social distance. To do anything LESS than those mitigating factors is to put your neighbor's health and ability to draw breath BENEATH your desire to NOT care about having some restrictions on YOUR personal wants and desires.

I mean if you look at it statistically it’s not the disease everyone thought. The avg death of COVID is older then the avg normal death. It’s been shown time and time again most people’s immune system pushes this thing off and doesn’t even realize it or has flu like symptoms for a couple days and then is ok. People who died have preexisting conditions. Quarantine the elderly quarantine the immune compromised people everyone else get on with your lives. The tanking economy will ruin more lives then the BS disease.

New plan for football seating. You don’t want to wear a mask? We will put you and any others that feel the same way in the last section in the northeast corner. We will leave the next section empty. The rest of the stadium will require masks. You can sit next to each other as close as possible. The rest of us can sit as deemed necessary. Any questions?

People who are unhappy, disappointed, depressed - hang on the last "hope" they have - freedom. They were sold American Dream and realized they would never live it. They already lost all their freedoms anyway. Not wearing mask is their way of saying - this is the only think I can control in my empty life.

Wearing a mask in a pandemic is not a political issue. When people have cancer, do they go to politicians for treatment? As others have noted, this is not an Iowa issue or a US issue, it is a worldwide issue. The law says you must wear a seat belt in your car. Of course, if you do, you give up the right to experience serious injury or death if you're involved in an accident. Even though it's the law, you don't have to abide by it. But the only person you're jeopardizing is you. Fine with me.

But by not wearing a mask or a face shield, you place everyone around you in potential danger. You do NOT have the right to trespass on MY rights. You do NOT have the right to place me or anyone else in jeopardy because you are a jackass.

Health experts in Iowa, the US, and around the world almost unanimously agree that wearing a mask and maintaining social distance is key to limiting the impact of COVID-19 on both our health and our economy.

If we had any national leadership, this senseless opposition to wearing masks would be mostly nonexistent.

So yes, I would agree with the OP. If fans are allowed in Kinnick Stadium, no matter how many, they should be required to wear masks the entire time they are in the stadium. I won't be there, so it won't affect me directly. But Hawkeye fans should be nice enough and smart enough to do the right thing--always wear a mask.

I mean if you look at it statistically it’s not the disease everyone thought. The avg death of COVID is older then the avg normal death. It’s been shown time and time again most people’s immune system pushes this thing off and doesn’t even realize it or has flu like symptoms for a couple days and then is ok. People who died have preexisting conditions. Quarantine the elderly quarantine the immune compromised people everyone else get on with your lives. The tanking economy will ruin more lives then the BS disease.
Sacrifice the aging population and those with pre-existing conditions then? This “BS disease” will cancel football season if it’s not under better control in a couple of weeks. Then you can spend all the saturdays this fall spewing ignorant garbage and won’t have to worry about entertainment. I hope all your relatives over 65 and/or with pre-existing conditions are prepared to die for your stupidity and selfishness.

where to start.
Well, first, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Corona Virus 2, SarsCovid-2, is NOT the flu. You understand that right. 2 different diseases. Now, on pace to kill..... lets look at the USA numbers, since that is where we live. As of today, SarsCovid-2 has killed 125,000 USA (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html). In the WORST year of the past decade, the flu killed 61,000 in 2017-19 (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html)
So, we already doubled the worst year in the past decade. The "flu" season tends to run from October to March, although it can peak and drop before and after, but that is 6 mos window. Currently, the SarsCoVid-2 has run in the USA from 4 mos. So, in 2/3 of the time, it has killed twice as many people as the worst year of the recent flu.
So, can we at least stop saying it is simply just like "the flu"?

Wearing a mask in a pandemic is not a political issue. When people have cancer, do they go to politicians for treatment? As others have noted, this is not an Iowa issue or a US issue, it is a worldwide issue. The law says you must wear a seat belt in your car. Of course, if you do, you give up the right to experience serious injury or death if you're involved in an accident. Even though it's the law, you don't have to abide by it. But the only person you're jeopardizing is you. Fine with me.

But by not wearing a mask or a face shield, you place everyone around you in potential danger. You do NOT have the right to trespass on MY rights. You do NOT have the right to place me or anyone else in jeopardy because you are a jackass.

Health experts in Iowa, the US, and around the world almost unanimously agree that wearing a mask and maintaining social distance is key to limiting the impact of COVID-19 on both our health and our economy.

If we had any national leadership, this senseless opposition to wearing masks would be mostly nonexistent.

So yes, I would agree with the OP. If fans are allowed in Kinnick Stadium, no matter how many, they should be required to wear masks the entire time they are in the stadium. I won't be there, so it won't affect me directly. But Hawkeye fans should be nice enough and smart enough to do the right thing--always wear a mask.

The first rule in politics is never waste a tregedy. If you don't think this is political, you're just not paying attention

I really hope that whatever snaps you back to reality - it's something you can immediately learn from, and still have your health.

Yup it's resurging here in Johnson County, it's worse than I thought a month ago.

Some facts right here. A disease with a less than .2% mortality rate is not a pandemic. Not even close. And of the small percentage that are dying, it's almost exclusively people who are already over the average life expectancy age. i.e. people with weakened immune systems who at risk of dying from pneumonia, the flu, a cold, basically any disease.

The only thing this "pandemic" proves is how brainwashed many people are by the media. Don't watch that garbage, people. None of the Covid 19 stats out there show that this should be getting anywhere near the hype that it's getting. And if the media wasn't hyping this thing up nonstop, it would've come and gone without people even noticing.

Some facts right here. A disease with a less than .2% mortality rate is not a pandemic. Not even close. And of the small percentage that are dying, it's almost exclusively people who are already over the average life expectancy age. i.e. people with weakened immune systems who at risk of dying from pneumonia, the flu, a cold, basically any disease.

The only thing this "pandemic" proves is how brainwashed many people are by the media. Don't watch that garbage, people. None of the Covid 19 stats out there show that this should be getting anywhere near the hype that it's getting. And if the media wasn't hyping this thing up nonstop, it would've come and gone without people even noticing.

125k dead since March. Also, is death the bar? So being sick for 2-4 weeks with possible long term lung complications is just no big deal? The media is what you would like to blame because the facts and SCIENCE dont fit your narrow world view. Big tough guy head back to Tucker Carlson

not wearing a mask and simply selfish and adolescent. we expect that behavior among teenagers but not among adults.

You can also stop being so selfish by telling everyone else what to do. If anyone is so freaking scared then stay home, shelter in place and remove yourself completely from society. Stop using public services of any kind; electric/gas, transportation, stores, water. Try doing that for awhile and come back and tell us how you are alive and loving your new life. As much as each person can mask or not so can each person decide to shelter from life itself.

I would have noticed the triage tents in the Mercy parking lot this spring, certainly.

You can also stop being so selfish by telling everyone else what to do. If anyone is so freaking scared then stay home, shelter in place and remove yourself completely from society. Stop using public services of any kind; electric/gas, transportation, stores, water. Try doing that for awhile and come back and tell us how you are alive and loving your new life. As much as each person can mask or not so can each person decide to shelter from life itself.
Businesses here are voluntarily closing due to the large uptick in cases over the last week. If only there were some way to control the spread of the virus, then these businesses wouldn't have to suffer.

People who are unhappy, disappointed, depressed - hang on the last "hope" they have - freedom. They were sold American Dream and realized they would never live it. They already lost all their freedoms anyway. Not wearing mask is their way of saying - this is the only think I can control in my empty life.
tenor.gif

Curious as to your stance on vaccinations? you can’t get polio isolating at home either but somehow we took care of that using...you know...that inconvenient science thing.

The death count is skewed they’re reporting COVID deaths with people who were having heart attacks and other pre existing conditions. If they tested positive for COVID and then died of cancer or something else they marked it down as a COVID death.

It's been way less than a year, more like 3 months and most with people indoors keeping distance. To compare the 2 seems ignorant to me....

125k dead since March. Also, is death the bar? So being sick for 2-4 weeks with possible long term lung complications is just no big deal? The media is what you would like to blame because the facts and SCIENCE dont fit your narrow world view. Big tough guy head back to Tucker Carlson
Do complications put you in the " at risk" category the next year? That is a concern I never see mentioned!

Keep your ass home if you're too lazy to wear a mask....

It's not exactly asking much, you're sad.

Or YOU could just stop being such a selfish prick and wear a mask in public.

The US government was created to protect people's rights not keep everyone safe. We are a free people part of being a free person is to accept responsibility for your actions.

Expecting an infected person to quarantine themselves is a reasonable expectation, expecting a healthy person to do anything to make you feel better is not.

The virus is out there. A free person should get informed and plan accordingly, and not depend on other people to do anything.

If you are concerned about the virus stay home. There are plenty of alternatives to cater to people staying home.

I hope Kinnick reommends it but does not require it.

Look at the stats. 110k dead from Covid 19 since February 1. 120k dead from Pneumonia since February 1.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

So Pneumonia is actually more deadly than Covid 19. Serious question: why aren't people freaking out over getting pneumonia?

50k of those who died from Covid 19 are over the age of 85. That's almost HALF of the people who died from it! If you're 85+, your immune system is so weakened that you're susceptible to every disease out there.
Really, what is the rationale in destroying the world and upending our way of life over some virus that's no worse than the common cold?

I’m going to say this again as some of you are not grasping the point. Life is about choices and this great country provides the freedom to make choices. If you want to wear a mask, wear one BUT please stop telling everyone else what to do. If you are so concerned about your own health then that should be the very first indicator that you need to shelter at home and stay out of the public. Hello!

There was almost zero public outcry from the media or public officials at the local, state or federal from either party during massive protests, riots and looting involving thousands of people some of which had no mask and there was definitely no distancing going on. All of this was being encouraged and lauded by many! That should be your first clue about the true seriousness of this virus for the majority of people. You can’t have it both ways my friends.

Because it is a public health issue that can directly or indirectly effect the most vulnerable members of our society, and I actually do care about people other than myself. Its called empathy.

Then you need to take charge of not only your protection, but the protection of others you are responsible for. Stop acting like it’s everyone else’s responsibility.

And they say there will be more colon and breast cancer because checkups for this have been almost non existent because of corona

Then you need to take charge of not only your protection, but the protection of others you are responsible for. Stop acting like it’s everyone else’s responsibility.
But you see, it actually IS everyone's responsibility. YOU need to take charge, accept reality, and recognize that your actions do in fact have an effect on those around you, whether you like it or not. Stop being such a self-centered prick.

But you see, it actually IS everyone's responsibility. YOU need to take charge, accept reality, and recognize that your actions do in fact have an effect on those around you, whether you like it or not. Stop being such a self-centered prick.

Test your narrative for logic. If everyone else who is masked that wants everyone else to wear a mask who is not then how are the masked individuals in jeopardy? There is no ‘indirectly’ if you are always masked.

If this is so deadly then, how is anyone out on the streets at all? The entire society should be closed down including all essential services and we should go back to living off our own land and means.

ADVERTISEMENT