ADVERTISEMENT

Effects of Not Wearing a Mask

You are delusional. This is all overblown like crazy. It is all about wicked people at the top trying to usher in a form of dictatorship. Look at all the rights and liberties people are just letting the government take away. Look honestly at all the long term effects! COVID is a flu strand that is on pace to kill (world wide) only twice that of a regular flu season. This is not even close yet to a top 10 cause of death. If you want to turn a blind eye to all of the effects of listening to what you are told. If you want to go right along with ushering this country in to a dictatorship go right ahead. I'm sure Iowa Football will be real enjoyable during a dictatorship.
Are you stupid? You are saying it ‘only’ will kill twice the flu does in a year. You fail to see that it’s only been four months and three of those months people were social distancing/quarantining. This is nothing like the flu.

Non n95 masks actually are protecting others probably more so than protecting the people wearing them. It prevents droplets from going airborne. So, if everyone wears them, the likelihood of transmission is far less.

I’m not debating mask effectiveness. I’m debating freedom of choice. If you are wearing an N95 rated mask you should be good? It should not matter if I’m masked or not.

If you have that much of a health concern should you be out at all or permitting any visitors in? There are ample abilities to have home drop off of goods at your door step, etc. to limit any human exposure. If your condition is that dire, is that a you or a me thing? Otherwise who is the selfish one - maybe both. I’m selfish for wanting the choice and you are selfish for being out in the first place.

Last edited:
The first rule in politics is never waste a tregedy. If you don't think this is political, you're just not paying attention
It’s political in the sense that Trump has been thy absolute worst kind of leader in this pandemic. Not only did he pull the CDC out of China, which very well could have prevented this disease from going global, he has then repeatedly given the public wrong information so we now have idiots thinking C19 is like the flu.

I’m not debating mask effectiveness. I’m debating freedom of choice. If you are wearing an N95 rated mask you should be good? It should not matter if I’m masked or not.

If you have that much of a health concern should you be out at all or permitting any visitors in? There are ample abilities to have home drop off of goods at your door step, etc. to limit any human exposure. If your condition is that dire, is that a you or a me thing? Otherwise who is the selfish one - maybe both. I’m selfish for wanting the choice and you are selfish for being out in the first place.
I assume you are pro-choice, right?

Boy, some people on here are so thick headed. Wearing a mask does little or nothing to protect the wearer, but is to keep the wearer from infecting others. Not wearing a mask has nothing to do with your personal choices. It is all about protecting others from you, sort of like the laws against assault and murder.

Boy, some people on here are so thick headed. Wearing a mask does little or nothing to protect the wearer, but is to keep the wearer from infecting others. Not wearing a mask has nothing to do with your personal choices. It is all about protecting others from you, sort of like the laws against assault and murder.

this is the correct answer. It apparently there is cognitive ability baseline to comprehend.

Non n95 masks actually are protecting others probably more so than protecting the people wearing them. It prevents droplets from going airborne. So, if everyone wears them, the likelihood of transmission is far less.
The response to this simple fact is usually incomprehensible, from those who have chosen to politicize it. I've honestly given up on caring about people who just don't get this, or choose to turn this simple point into irrelevant drama. Best to just avoid them, they are not worth it.

There have been very liitle studies on the effectiveness of masks. The last study I saw said masks reduce the spread of covid 19 by about 5%, not exactly a safety blanket.

A mask on a healthy person doesn't do anything. If you require someone else to wear a mask thats a you thing. Stay home.

Accusing somebody of assault or murder because they infect somone else is a new phenomenon. How does that logic work with the flu? It kills thousands of people a year and it has never been a crime to go to work with it.

Some facts right here. A disease with a less than .2% mortality rate is not a pandemic. Not even close. And of the small percentage that are dying, it's almost exclusively people who are already over the average life expectancy age. i.e. people with weakened immune systems who at risk of dying from pneumonia, the flu, a cold, basically any disease.

The only thing this "pandemic" proves is how brainwashed many people are by the media. Don't watch that garbage, people. None of the Covid 19 stats out there show that this should be getting anywhere near the hype that it's getting. And if the media wasn't hyping this thing up nonstop, it would've come and gone without people even noticing.
I didn't read the rest of the thread so if you already answered this I apologize... So by your logic my 2.5 year old son who has DS and asthma is an acceptable death so we can push forward and continue our me first way of living. Glad to know some lives are more valuable than others.

You are delusional. This is all overblown like crazy. It is all about wicked people at the top trying to usher in a form of dictatorship. Look at all the rights and liberties people are just letting the government take away. Look honestly at all the long term effects! COVID is a flu strand that is on pace to kill (world wide) only twice that of a regular flu season. This is not even close yet to a top 10 cause of death. If you want to turn a blind eye to all of the effects of listening to what you are told. If you want to go right along with ushering this country in to a dictatorship go right ahead. I'm sure Iowa Football will be real enjoyable during a dictatorship.

No, just no to everything you just said. Please have a care for others if not yourself. If you know anyone whose lives have been hurt by this virus you would understand it is not a sinister plot to take away your freedoms. It is a disease that can kill you and your loved ones.

Reactions: VodkaSam
I’m going to say this again as some of you are not grasping the point. Life is about choices and this great country provides the freedom to make choices. If you want to wear a mask, wear one BUT please stop telling everyone else what to do. If you are so concerned about your own health then that should be the very first indicator that you need to shelter at home and stay out of the public. Hello!

There was almost zero public outcry from the media or public officials at the local, state or federal from either party during massive protests, riots and looting involving thousands of people some of which had no mask and there was definitely no distancing going on. All of this was being encouraged and lauded by many! That should be your first clue about the true seriousness of this virus for the majority of people. You can’t have it both ways my friends.

on the contrary, there were plenty of comments in both print and broadcast media regarding lack of masks and social distancing during the protests. Time will tell us how many cases arise as a result of bad choices during the protests. Not taking precautions during a protest, a campaign rally, a trip to the beach all increase your risk and eventually those who you know and love. Enjoy making your own decision on this but prepare for the potential ramifications of those decisions.

Then please begin driving at high speed with your eyeglasses off and leave your seatbelt unbuckled. Cuz freedoms. Gotta put those pesky dictators in their place. FFS the stupidity you contributed here cannot even be measured. Congratulations.

N95 masks capture 95% of particles of .30 microns or larger. COVID particles range in size from .06 to .14 microns. n95 masks are for single use and should be removed with latex gloves discarded after touching mask surface. the mask requires a skin tight seal to prevent drawing unfiltered air. n95 @ .30 microns won't filter covid @ .06-.14 microns. might be better than nothing if worn properly, not touched with bare fingers and disposed of properly. any other masks or face coverings are doing nothing. do the research yourself.

"Even in asymptomatic cases, we’re starting to see lung damage and potential other long-term organ damage that didn’t make itself known immediately. There’s the possibility that these young men and women who are elite athletes in peak physical shape, even a small degradation of that could be career altering."

Exactly this. And the rest.
sounds like the end times for you? if healthy athletes should be living in fear, what is your plan to save us from .012 micron virus particles?

Reactions: pmtdc and And1Hawk
I mean if you look at it statistically it’s not the disease everyone thought. The avg death of COVID is older then the avg normal death. It’s been shown time and time again most people’s immune system pushes this thing off and doesn’t even realize it or has flu like symptoms for a couple days and then is ok. People who died have preexisting conditions. Quarantine the elderly quarantine the immune compromised people everyone else get on with your lives. The tanking economy will ruin more lives then the BS disease.
EXACTLY. 80% of minnesota covid deaths occurred in rest homes. 704 IOWA deaths, 87% over 61, 47% over 80, 2% between 18 and 40. so if you are under 40 in iowa, 14 died so far out of 3,150,000+ plus iowans for a 0.00044% chance of catching and dying of COVID. numbers from coronavirus.iowa.gov

Agree

or people can stop acting like idiots, and simply wear a mask! Look how things are going in Europe. Way less idiots
do some research on masks, I have. or be among the idiots who haven't. n95 masks trap 95% of particles LARGER than .30 microns. COVID IS .06 TO .14 microns. see a problem here? the masks you see the science deniers wear won't stop it. wearing/handling ineffective masks over and over, touching even an n95 mask without latex gloves is counter productive.

I thought this thread would be about broken noses, missing teeth, and taking the head out of play when tackling. I’m disappointed.

I say we start ticketing the maskless! If I can get a ticket for going a hair over the speed limit then so can they!! :D

I didn't read the rest of the thread so if you already answered this I apologize... So by your logic my 2.5 year old son who has DS and asthma is an acceptable death so we can push forward and continue our me first way of living. Glad to know some lives are more valuable than others.

I'm not saying that at all. Sorry and hope your son is doing fine. What I'm saying is that the statistics do not justify even a fraction of the media hysteria this disease is getting. 110k dead from Covid 19 since Feb. 1, 120k dead from Pneumonia since Feb. 1. So just looking at the stats, we should be more worried about pneumonia than Covid 19.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Pneumonia isn't going away anytime soon, so should we just remain locked away in our homes for the rest of eternity?

Maybe it's a political agenda or maybe they're just fear-mongering, but it's unreal how the media has blown this thing so far out of proportion.

I'm not saying that at all. Sorry and hope your son is doing fine. What I'm saying is that the statistics do not justify even a fraction of the media hysteria this disease is getting. 110k dead from Covid 19 since Feb. 1, 120k dead from Pneumonia since Feb. 1. So just looking at the stats, we should be more worried about pneumonia than Covid 19.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Pneumonia isn't going away anytime soon, so should we just remain locked away in our homes for the rest of eternity?

Maybe it's a political agenda or maybe they're just fear-mongering, but it's unreal how the media has blown this thing so far out of proportion.

you are an idiot. How many people have died of pneumonia since March?

do some research on masks, I have. or be among the idiots who haven't. n95 masks trap 95% of particles LARGER than .30 microns. COVID IS .06 TO .14 microns. see a problem here? the masks you see the science deniers wear won't stop it. wearing/handling ineffective masks over and over, touching even an n95 mask without latex gloves is counter productive.

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/the-right-mask-for-the-task.html

here’s what the Johns Hopkins school of public health recommends. I’m sure your science is more sound.

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/the-right-mask-for-the-task.html

here’s what the Johns Hopkins school of public health recommends. I’m sure your science is more sound.

nothing there contradicts a single thing I said. But science is hard for some.

Looks like if your job is stopping .06 to .14 microns, the ONLY choice is n95. Check the specs yourself. How do you think healthcare folks still get infected? Gowns, masks gloves and the like notwithstanding. If you are exposed enough, n95 or not, you'll get it.

Now look at how you should handle n95 in a clinical setting (like trying to avoid infection). Wear once, discard, don't touch outer surface with bare skin. etc.

I'll wait while you catch up.

Now do COVID. 127k deaths over 17 weeks brings us to 7450 per WEEK. should I bold it for you?

No but you might might check the real day to day numbers. You tried averaging which doesn't account for recent trends.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Since NO ONE knows how many actual cases we've had so far, but we do know how many died with covid. Pay special attention to daily new cases in the US which has indeed risen considerably, (you'll have to scroll down the page a bit. all the drama shit is at the top).
Compare that to the daily new deaths (which they buried a little further down the page).

Since it is a daily number you may get more from the trend line that the daily number, but there is also history there. Daily deaths USED TO track daily cases until late April, early May or so. BUT EVEN YOU CAN SEE THAT DAILY DEATHS HAVE BEEN FALLING EVEN AS NEW CASES HAS BEEN RISING. New cases have risen to 47000 while new deaths continue to fall to 663.

Reactions: pmtdc

Looks like if your job is stopping .06 to .14 microns, the ONLY choice is n95. Check the specs yourself. How do you think healthcare folks still get infected? Gowns, masks gloves and the like notwithstanding. If you are exposed enough, n95 or not, you'll get it.

Now look at how you should handle n95 in a clinical setting (like trying to avoid infection). Wear once, discard, don't touch outer surface with bare skin. etc.

do you think all respiratory droplets are that si

So you’ll cite the CDC for your numbers but neglect their mask recommendation? You’ve got them! Why are all patients and staff at UIHC required to wear a mask? You had better call them and let them know ASAP that you’ve done the math and there is no need.

do you think all respiratory droplets are that si

So you’ll cite the CDC for your numbers but neglect their mask recommendation? You’ve got them! Why are all patients and staff at UIHC required to wear a mask? You had better call them and let them know ASAP that you’ve done the math and there is no need.

If masks and gowns etc are effective, why do they stop ALL elective surgery, allow one, sometimes NO visitors? Just put an N95 on and you are golden!

Their mask recommendations won't stop jack. You see the numbers. What are they going to tell you, 325 million people need to wear N95 masks and sterile latex gloves and swap them multiple times per day?

Not possible.

So you tell them what makes them feel all fuzzy and warm. Some will actually do it.

I wear a mask many times, but don't feel the need to when doing certain things outside. Walking at a park or attending a little league baseball game should not require it due to the rules of minimizing attendance.

Going to a football game would seem like a time to wear one. I will enjoy it more from home than with a mask, so I don't plan to attend any games this year.

No but you might might check the real day to day numbers. You tried averaging which doesn't account for recent trends.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Since NO ONE knows how many actual cases we've had so far, but we do know how many died with covid. Pay special attention to daily new cases in the US which has indeed risen considerably, (you'll have to scroll down the page a bit. all the drama shit is at the top).
Compare that to the daily new deaths (which they buried a little further down the page).

Since it is a daily number you may get more from the trend line that the daily number, but there is also history there. Daily deaths USED TO track daily cases until late April, early May or so. BUT EVEN YOU CAN SEE THAT DAILY DEATHS HAVE BEEN FALLING EVEN AS NEW CASES HAS BEEN RISING. New cases have risen to 47000 while new deaths continue to fall to 663.

A couple reasons why death numbers are down a bit.
First, this is a trailing stat. Initial numbers on diagnosis went down which prompted the economic re-opening. We will get a clearer view of death rates as time goes on since the diagnosis numbers are up again.
Second. To support slowing death rates you can simply do some research on how many pharma companies have ongoing climical trials for treatments or a vaccine. The diagnosed disease numbers and hospitalization numbers may continue to rise but the treatments and clinical trials that are ongoing seem to be having a positive impact on death rates. That obviously is good news but
folks should take appropriate steps to limit their risk, ie; stay home, wear a mask, social distancing. Until we have a vaccine this will continue to be a huge health risk.

Reactions: blackandgoldPT
.04 percent chance of dying from this. There are plenty of studies that show that wearing a mask and breathing your own CO2 all day weakens your immune system. Besides, unless you are wearing a N95 or higher mask that seals tightly and wearing goggles or a face shield you are not protected. This is all about training seals to hit their mark in the store. I suppose most will line up for RNA vaccine when they roll it out as well.

I say we start ticketing the maskless! If I can get a ticket for going a hair over the speed limit then so can they!! :D
How about just not being selfish and wear a mask in public until we have a vaccine? Can you sacrifice your ‘freedom’ to help save some people’s lives or is it just too much of a burden for you?

There have been very liitle studies on the effectiveness of masks. The last study I saw said masks reduce the spread of covid 19 by about 5%, not exactly a safety blanket.

A mask on a healthy person doesn't do anything. If you require someone else to wear a mask thats a you thing. Stay home.

Accusing somebody of assault or murder because they infect somone else is a new phenomenon. How does that logic work with the flu? It kills thousands of people a year and it has never been a crime to go to work with it.
Link to study saying masks are only 5% effective?

Reactions: papabeef
I
How about just not being selfish and wear a mask in public until we have a vaccine? Can you sacrifice your ‘freedom’ to help save some people’s lives or is it just too much of a burden for you?
I do wear a mask. Are you a little slow?

Reactions: papabeef
ADVERTISEMENT