Do you like eggnog?

• Yes

Votes: 57 68.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • mehh

Votes: 6 7.2%

• Total voters
I don't like egg nog, but I don't mind its cousin, boiled custard.

I've got a batch cooking in the fridge since Thanksgiving. Christmas Eve opening ceremony!

Alton Brown has a super boozey recipe that ferments for 6 months that I’d like to try. Usually stay away from it, but do use it for bread pudding on Xmas day

Aunt Doris' "Hoppy Halidays" Egg Nog recipe....

Get two gallons of nog. Reserve one half gallon for kids and other non-drinkers.

Mix the remaining one and 1/2 gallons with:

A fifth of bourbon
A pint of dark rum
A half pint of brandy

You will now have about two gallons of spiked nog. Let it marinate for awhile in the fridge for best flavor.

Serve in a festive glass with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top.

Drink a few glasses of this and you can't help but have a happy holiday!

Alton Brown has a super boozey recipe that ferments for 6 months that I’d like to try. Usually stay away from it, but do use it for bread pudding on Xmas day

This is my fourth year making the fermented egg nog.

https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

We save about a quart from the previous year’s batch and add it into the new. And it is MINDBLOWINGLY tasty and smooth. I use Black Seal for the rum, Costco’s XO for the cognac (which is actually my favorite cognac that I’ve had) and Maker’s 46 for the whiskey.

It’s not too late to make it, you need a min of 2 weeks for the first batch. And it will be good at that point, just an A- or B+ but still better than any nog you’ve had. But if you save a quart as a starter for next year and make the new batch 2-4 months before you want to drink it....you will be blown away.

Reactions: biggreydogs
Yes. Fairly sure it is the highest caloric stuff on earth. Me the forst time i saw how man calories are in a cup of egg nog:
giphy.gif

Reactions: pink shizzle
I love the stuff, but I limit myself to 24 hours of damage. Usually have my first nog & spiced rum on Christmas Eve and then I can drink until Christmas night. Basically wind up with 2 glasses each day.

An ice cold shot glass sized taste is enough for me. I think it would be a dandy homemade ice cream base or used to make French toast.

This is my fourth year making the fermented egg nog.

https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

We save about a quart from the previous year’s batch and add it into the new. And it is MINDBLOWINGLY tasty and smooth. I use Black Seal for the rum, Costco’s XO for the cognac (which is actually my favorite cognac that I’ve had) and Maker’s 46 for the whiskey.

It’s not too late to make it, you need a min of 2 weeks for the first batch. And it will be good at that point, just an A- or B+ but still better than any nog you’ve had. But if you save a quart as a starter for next year and make the new batch 2-4 months before you want to drink it....you will be blown away.
It's not to late to buy it, so that's what I will be doing. Love the nog.

I loved it as a kid, and then again in my 20s with bourbon. I now avoid drinking calories and alcohol, so no eggnog for me.
That's me! I used to drink it with EVERY MEAL as a little boy! I would sneak swigs of it in between meals!

But, I don't drink alcohol (never drank eggnog with alcohol, actually). And, the stuff is loaded with HIGH calories and fat. I might take a swig once or maybe twice over the holidays.

Aunt Doris' "Hoppy Halidays" Egg Nog recipe....

Get two gallons of nog. Reserve one half gallon for kids and other non-drinkers.

Mix the remaining one and 1/2 gallons with:

A fifth of bourbon
A pint of dark rum
A half pint of brandy

You will now have about two gallons of spiked nog. Let it marinate for awhile in the fridge for best flavor.

Serve in a festive glass with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top.

Drink a few glasses of this and you can't help but have a happy holiday!

Picture of drunk Aunt Doris?

Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT