ADVERTISEMENT

Eierman in the Transfer Portal

I think it's been documented that Eierman is not a fan of the Hawks.
**No I'm not going to go back and look up his recruiting articles, but there were several quotes from him where he was pretty clear he wasn't a fan.

The Eiermans and Hensons are buddies. I think he would be a great fit in Iowa City. Lots of options. If he wants to stay at 41 DeSanto could RS next year. If he wants to go 49 he slots right in after Lugo. Then train with HWC afterward and fill a 65kg spot we have while having great training partners around his weight and the best coaches for his weight in the nation.

I don’t think PSU is real strong at that weight.

I think this one has Ohio State written all over it. In addition to needing him at either weights and having a new wrestling room, they also have a lot of RTC money and scholly money to offer due to Snyder/Kerk departures. .

Plus its a good environment for around his weight with Jaggers, Stieber, Pletcher, Nato and McKenna.

McKenna left for Penn earlier this summer. He got into grad school there. But that doesn't dissolve your comment either, there may be training money there after eligibility is done.

However Mr. JerseyHokie dude posted Eirman's twitter with lots of Iowa people that he follows. I'm sure Mr. Chief will be here with a screenshot soon.

Reactions: Ihawkd9times
McKenna left for Penn earlier this summer. He got into grad school there. But that doesn't dissolve your comment either, there may be training money there after eligibility is done.

However Mr. JerseyHokie dude posted Eirman's twitter with lots of Iowa people that he follows. I'm sure Mr. Chief will be here with a screenshot soon.

Oh thanks. Damn thats even worse then because now he doesn't have to worry about McKenna being the top dog at his own RTC.

I am really starting to hate this transfer portal thing. It may be a good thing for Football and Basketball where the 2nd and 3rd stringers could get a starting spot somewhere else. However for wrestling, it just depletes the top level talent from some mid level teams and puts them in the hands of a few teams. Talk about the rich getting richer. Pretty soon there will be about 5 good teams and the rest just a bunch of nobodies.

<insert Jack Nicholson heading nodding meme>

Big news leaving Missouri. His name is an institution in that state.

How about Jaydin Eierman whos taking a Olympic RS this year and will have one year of eligibility remaining after 2020 and would make for a great one year 41/49 and the addition to HWC

It’s not a secret that he’s not too big of a fan of the program or style. I don’t think there’s much mutual respect.

Thoughts on this Ole Goober

Reactions: Gobblin
I was talking to a buddy the other day about the commitment of Wyatt Henson and how it could open up some recruiting avenues into Missouri. Turns out this could be huge for next years team and if he would join the HWC. I think his style and scrambling abilities are something our team could use a little more of.

Even though the portal has benefited us, it’s total bullshit. It will or arguably already has, led to the recruitment of athletes already on rosters, without penalty. It also decreases the significance of making the right College choice to begin with, if there is always an easy out.

if coaches don't like it that is one thing (and may be valid), but how it makes the fans of the teams feel shouldn't matter one bit.

It allows kids to make the best decisions for themselves (or what they think is the best decision). I'm 100% in favor, and I'm not a big 'pay-the-players' guy.

Hey, college wrestling is the big leagues of our sport (until the RTCs start getting to where we all want them to be), pimp yourself as much as you can. This sport is unforgiving enough, use what leverage you got.

Mckenna is at Penn RTC
Logan has his own club now.(spends more time there)
NATO is done and won’t except it, yet.

Well, 1 out of 3 ain't bad. Logan's club meets in the tOSU room, and Logan is still there every morning and at every afternoon practice... Nato is finally health, let's see how he does...

Yes it really teaches perseverance. If something isn’t working out 100% as envisioned just hightail it out of there and sell your services to the highest bidder. Yeah I’d wanna hire a kid like...

One could argue that they are still persevering - just so happens they are doing it by going elsewhere (they are sticking by wrestling and presumably some related dream).

I don't know what industry you are in, but in mine- and i would argue most- having people who don't like their jobs is a lot worse for a company than encouraging people to find situations to make themselves happier.

That doesn't mean I think every kid should pack up shop at the first sign of adversity. And I don't think you should get unlimited transfers and become a mercenary. But forcing a kid to stick out a situation he doesn't like when there is a better opportunity available for him doesn't sound like the America I love so dearly. :)

This transfer portal sure feels like it is a loop hole for the top teams to fill holes. Including us.

I may be in the minority on this, but this "easy trading" of athletes between schools is not a good thing IMO. Even if the Hawks benefit from it on any given athlete, I don't think it is a positive for the sport overall to migrate towards a situation where there are only 3 or 4 teams, shoot, maybe only 1 or 2 at this rate, that can compete for a title every year. FWIW.

I’ll let you take this one chief.. Tell us all he’s gonna be a Hawkeye please.

I'll tip the hat to @FD_HWC ...he is the one that mentioned Eierman and a transfer possibility seemingly out of left field the other day. That combined with some other

source.gif

leads me to believe there is at least a chance. With this transfer portal thing...

giphy.gif

I'm okay with the transfer portal. A student athlete should be allowed one time to transfer if things just are not working out. Things change, coaches change and sometimes it isnt working out. Just because Cael is going to out recruit everyone on this doesnt mean a kid cant better himself and his environment. Thats an us problem if Brands cant take complete advantage of this just the same.

So I ask anyone who is against this is it because you dont want whats best for the kid or just hurt feelings if it doesn't fall Iowa's way?

Be honest

when you first start reading this thread its like you are at the end of your milkshake and its almost a done deal that he wont be in iowa....then you see the tweets and his words and quotes... and all of a sudden WHAM...that chunk of stuck ice cream in the bottom of the the cup slams down from gravity and makes a giant splash ....okay this is even weirding me out after re reading it..... nevermind...i hope he transfer here if it suits him...if not then well Bye !!!

I don't like this sort of thing but we have to be in the market or we won't keep up with others who are. In regards to transfers I see two kinds, one where a guy has a year or two in at a place with little to marginal success deciding a new path would help to get where he wants to go, The other a "ringer" so to speak, a high AA guy who has proven he can do it. The first one I don't think is as bad for the sport, the second hurts teams bad and consolidates talent to the "winners" not good for the sport really. Like I said, it is what it is and we better be in the game because you can't win if you don't play.

Iowa and ohio state seem to be good destinations depending on his weight choice. If he wants 149 then iowa is the better choice bc of Sasso but OSU would be a better fit for 141. Both teams have solid rtc's but iowa doesn't have a training partner at the level of Logan stieber around his weight (other than the brands bros obv but I don't know how much they can really roll around at a high level these days). I doubt he would look at PSU with Zain also training there who seems to have eirmann pretty well figured out already.

Also, I wouldn't sleep on a healthy NATO. He is certainly not a prohibitive favorite or even top 3 atm but if he is healthy he does have a high ceiling

I may be in the minority on this, but this "easy trading" of athletes between schools is not a good thing IMO. Even if the Hawks benefit from it on any given athlete, I don't think it is a positive for the sport overall to migrate towards a situation where there are only 3 or 4 teams, shoot, maybe only 1 or 2 at this rate, that can compete for a title every year. FWIW.

Hasn't it already been that way? I don't recall a season where there are any more than 3-4 teams with a chance at the title in March.

I think the transfer portals affect on the sport is overstated... it’s exciting for fans and media to speculate where wrestlers are going to next but if you look at the specifics Busiello and Kerk haven’t wrestled attached for a college, and Eierman has one year left and this transfer looks like it has more to do with freestyle than anything Cox left Mizzou and it worked for him.... just seems like mizzou isn’t that invested in freestyle

Reactions: Gobblin
I'm okay with the transfer portal. A student athlete should be allowed one time to transfer if things just are not working out. Things change, coaches change and sometimes it isnt working out. Just because Cael is going to out recruit everyone on this doesnt mean a kid cant better himself and his environment. Thats an us problem if Brands cant take complete advantage of this just the same.

So I ask anyone who is against this is it because you dont want whats best for the kid or just hurt feelings if it doesn't fall Iowa's way?

Be honest
Doesn't have anything to do with Iowa and who they get out of this. While I am more in the middle, the obvious downside is that a team, let's say, invests time and resources in to developing a decent high school recruit in to a top contender and face of the program, think Kyle Conel as a Junior. Come his Junior or Senior (non grad) year when you have promoted him to your fans and gotten them excited about the team having a top guy and the team taking the next step, that kid sees and opening on a real contender and for that reason alone, he decides to jump ship.

Now you can say, well the kid has the right to do that, and you'd be right under the new relaxed rules, but it makes it harder to build brand loyalty and take a program from from the bottom to the top.

In addition, we have seen some pretty questionable things happen with guys sitting out a year with an "injury", taking up a roster spot and scholly money then, the next year, leaving when a spot opens up on a better team.

There are pros and cons on both sides imo, but either way, it changes the game and while a win for the student athlete, not a win for the sport as a whole.

Be honest
Sometimes it is beneficial to the wrestler;, but, I believe it will be abused, hurt other teams, erase a sense of dedication and loyality being taught to the wrestler. You don't bail ship every time something doesn't go your way. We have seen a few top wrestlers transfer multiple times and fail.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
The old man may be taking a job somewhere and the kid is following. Perhaps Iowa State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT